Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 8:47 am

Why do you choose to beleave in a God?

This question is not for those whom feel they have to beleave or parish,
This question is not for those whom just beleave because they was raised that way.

Simple question.

Last edited by aspergian_mutant on 30 May 2008, 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 8:50 am

Because I believe that an enormous amount of energy was needed to support the forming of the universe. I think "god" is just that, a LOT of energy, not empethatic, caring or whatever, just energy.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 9:29 am

I didn't "choose" to believe in a higher deity. The theory that the universe created itself out of nothing just doesn't make sense.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 9:46 am

Why is it more sensible that a strange being created it? Since the astronomical theories accepted are based on phenomena that have been observed and this mysterious being that has never been encountered except through ancient superstitious literature, I wonder why you find one more acceptable than the other.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 May 2008, 10:09 am

I believe in god sometimes because when I am feeling weary and disconnected as a result of unceasingly searching for final causes/sufficient first causes for everything, feeling ragged from the vigilance and anxiety of keeping all my "senses" alert for clues, evidence and other signs to decide what everything means, why and forever and etc, it helps take a load of pressure off.

I believe in god sometimes because I want to celebrate, to thank, to jubilate.

I believe in god whenever I remember/"grasp" that free-will does not exist, because I get such a sense of being part of one thing, one huge process that the only word that feels big enough for it is god.

I believe in god sometimes when I want to cheer myself up. Thinking about god creating/writing the university as we speak; that's funny. Feels like company for a moment too.

Helps me be aware of the matrix of words too, like a virtual reality that I live in almost without pause, except at night in dreams.

I have been able to believe in god because after reading about it I think that belief in god is a precious prosthetic device which has evolved to fill the cognitive space/gap created by frontal lobe development in humans in the last 15,000-30,000 years or so.

The evolution of fluid intelligence which recognises patterns, creates meaning out of chaos, attributes cause, assigns agency, may have resulted in a kind of "hunger" for final first causes, definitive explanations, in many people, which life does not generally satisfy.

Although I love thinking and thinking, I also get tired of it, and need a rest sometimes, and belief in god is that. Like I can drop my burden of seeking the meaning of that, etc etc.

:study:

Last edited by ouinon on 31 May 2008, 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 1:21 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Because I believe that an enormous amount of energy was needed to support the forming of the universe. I think "god" is just that, a LOT of energy, not empethatic, caring or whatever, just energy.

God is energy, but He is also everything else. God is infinite, the great I AM, Alpha & Omega,
source of all things. I choose to believe in God not out of any sense of obligation, but because belief arises in me naturally. I don't fight it. I don't deny it.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 2:25 pm

Sand wrote:
Why is it more sensible that a strange being created it?

Because stuff (especially a complex universe with a radius of 14 billion lightyears) can't be created out of nothing.

Quote:
Since the astronomical theories accepted are based on phenomena that have been observed and this mysterious being that has never been encountered except through ancient superstitious literature, I wonder why you find one more acceptable than the other.

Nothing has ever been created out of nothing.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 2:27 pm

my God and Goddess are not as like the christian god, its more personal...you know
the whole concept of paganism speaks to me more you know...
and they have horns how f*****g cool is that! :P

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 4:10 pm

The Christian God is absolutely personal in that He wants to know all of us. I would be very wary of any horned deity.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 4:17 pm

well I am not
I am weary on the Christian god telling me if I jerk off or f**k before marriage I'm gonna burn in a pit
but he loves me :lol:
Cernunnos says basically-use your own judgement people-
same with Cerridwyn
they are more-cool with things like sex and swearing and rock music lol

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 11:44 pm

Why?

It is the source of knowledge. Anything outside is ignorance. The blood of the martyrs give strength. It is the source of life. The emotions one feels during realization. It is the source of love.

Sand wrote:
Why is it more sensible that a strange being created it? Since the astronomical theories accepted are based on phenomena that have been observed and this mysterious being that has never been encountered except through ancient superstitious literature, I wonder why you find one more acceptable than the other.

Way to remain on topic, Sandman.