International law against "slandering religion"?

Page 4 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Should there be an international law against slandering religion?
I've considered all of the practical implications, and my answer is yes. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I've considered all of the practical implications, and my answer is no. 67%  67%  [ 28 ]
I'm not sure. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I just drew a cartoon of Muhammad! 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 42

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 10:39 pm

And all of it is why hate crime legislation is a load of BS anyway. how can a crime be any worse because of a person's race, gender, or religion? Crime is crime, f**k the semantics.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2008, 8:14 am

oscuria wrote:
burnse22 wrote:

How can you have a blanket blasphemy law, then, if all religions believe in different things?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy

simple read with information of countries that have such laws in place.

Yes but these laws are in relation to the countries own religion, the US laws are about Christianity and the Pakistani laws are about Islam. So how can there exist a common law between these two countries if they both believe their own beliefs to be the only true beliefs? Doesn't Christainity and Islam each consider the other to be blasphemous?

Anyone?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 9:15 am

makuranososhi wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
So, no, I don't think you can sell that I believe that it should be.

refresh me again on your opinion of the legal status of gay marriage?

I'd vote against it.
Would you presume to tell me how to vote?
Gay marriage will always cause strife and contraversy, moreso than peace and happiness, so I deem it impractical.
But, those who wish to champion ideals above the realities that bind them will say otherwise.
Not everyone is born to marry.
I considered myself, for 5 years, a person that shouldn't be married, so I believe there is no shame or loss in not marrying.
Gays don't have to marry.
And if they do marry, it will cause far more contention in the long run than peace. Blame who you will for that fact, but it's true.

Why will it cause strife and controversy?

That's exactly how I predicted people would miss the point. Read again, please.
It's not about the why, it's about the fact that it will. And that makes it impractical in hetero society.
Again, people can whine and strive and make sound and fury,
but that discord is all that such protests will ever produce. Peace will not occur.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 9:25 am

Quatermass wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

I'd vote against it.

your vote is based on religion and not empirical fact or social studies done on such matters.

that's implementing your religion into law.

A fallacy. Let me explain it for you.
The difference is that my vote isn't the law. It's exercising one of my rights specifically granted by the law.
The law in a democracy is voted upon. Therefore, my right to vote however I choose and why I choose is specifically intended and granted by the law. I would be no good American if I did not vote my beliefs.
And it's not just my beliefs why I'd vote against gay marriage (but thanks for truncating my quote to conveniently remove those reasons :roll: . Should I expect fairer from you??)

Your contention that gay marriages will cause strife is a fallacy.

Well, "fallacy" or not, it's true. Look around you, while opening your eyes, and you just might see the obvious.
Gay marriage is controversial and contentious. It will always be controversial and contentious.

Last edited by Ragtime on 05 Jun 2008, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 9:51 am

Ragtime wrote:
Jordan actually is demanding that these 11 Danish citizens
appear in court in Jordan, on one very legally absurd premise:
That they violated a Jordon law -- while in Denmark.

Hmmm, last I checked, citizens of a certain country, while being within that country, are
not accountable for other countrys' laws! To say this situation is laughable is too obvious.

You should talk to your own government. The United States does not uniformly believe that its laws stop at the border. It has prosecuted foreign and US nationals for various crimes committed outside the US, including violation of drug laws, sex tourism involving underage children that have never been in the US, visiting Cuba, and offering bribes to win contracts. The US has attempted to enforce various civil laws internationally, including anti-bias in hiring, copyright, and anti-trust laws. People that run an internet betting business in Antigua (which is perfectly legal there) have warrants out on them for violating US gambling law.

Quote:
USA (AFP), WASHINGTON: Eleven people have been charged in a US crackdown on a multibillion-dollar Internet sports betting website with operations in Antigua and elsewhere, prosecutors said.

An indictment unsealed Monday charges the operators, British-incorporated BetOnSports, with illegally taking bets from US residents and failing to pay US taxes on 3.3 billion dollars in wagers from the United States.

http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/cgi-scr ... 002405.htm

monty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 9:57 am

The_Chosen_One wrote:
And all of it is why hate crime legislation is a load of BS anyway. how can a crime be any worse because of a person's race, gender, or religion? Crime is crime, f**k the semantics.

So I suppose that you are opposed to racketeering laws, too? How can crime be any worse if it is organized? If someone beats the crap out of another human being, should it matter if it is part of an isolated bar fight, or part of a mafia pattern to take control of all the waste hauling businesses in an entire state?

I think there is a difference.

Last edited by monty on 05 Jun 2008, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 10:06 am

Take a thing called the internet. Ever heard of that? The US apparently thinks it can prosecute anyone it likes under its laws because its citizens can be offended/affected by what they read. The US fails to comprehend that they are not the only country using the net, and therefore the other 99.9% of the world (remeber that place?) DO NOT fall under US laws and jurisdiction. So even though this site may appear to be set up on an American server, by Americans, I as an Australian can say whatever I want within regards to my own country's law, and not have to worry about the consequences in your own. If I said that Reverend Parsley was a closet gay, that is my opinion. If he wanted to sue me for defamation, he'd have a hard time getting me extradited.

So how can an international law over religion have as much validity? Answer, it can't.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:33 am

Ragtime wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

I'd vote against it.
Gay marriage will always cause strife and contraversy, moreso than peace and happiness, so I deem it impractical.
But, those who wish to champion ideals above the realities that bind them will say otherwise.
I considered myself, for 5 years, a person that shouldn't be married, so I believe there is no shame or loss in not marrying.
And if they do marry, it will cause far more contention in the long run than peace. Blame who you will for that fact, but it's true.

It's not about the why, it's about the fact that it will. And that makes it impractical in hetero society.
but that discord is all that such protests will ever produce. Peace will not occur.

Ragtime, there was no point missed - you assert that it "will" without stating or explaining "why"... that's smacks of faith, and what little I possess lies in myself and in the greater whole of existence. I'm sorry, but I don't have 'faith' in you. If you can not substantiate your statement, then it is not a practical component of this conversation. The foundations of your arguments have been proven false time and again as old prejudices began to be wiped away. Whether it was outside the tribe, caste, et al, these arguments have been made for centuries without basis. You make assertions without substance; these are your beliefs, but when your words change them from belief to fact then it comes out foolishly.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 12:18 pm

They could never pass a law like that. The christian, muslim, and zionist extremist couldnd't go 5 minutes without badmouthing other faiths by claiming their own faiths are the one true path respectively.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 12:26 pm

Ragtime wrote:

And how much "strife" has there been in the state of Massachussetts over the past four years, exactly? That's a pretty poor rational. People can change and adjust. The post-Civil Rights Act South was certainly in "strife," but somehow the situation has improved. And those changes were much more immediate and drastic than simply allowing gay couples to obtain a marriage license at the local city hall.

As for hate crime laws, there's a very practical justification. People who commit hate crimes are more likely to repeat. If you commit a crime because of a personal vendetta, that's terrible and deserves punishment. But if you cannot refrain from beating up every "gay-seeming" guy you come across, you pose an even more serious threat to society.

Last edited by srriv345 on 05 Jun 2008, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:20 pm

Use good judgement when slandering religion.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:26 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Use good judgement when slandering religion.

Is disagreeing with or questioning a religion slander? I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on this topic.

M.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:28 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

I'd vote against it.

Ragtime, there was no point missed - you assert that it "will" without stating or explaining "why"... that's smacks of faith, and what little I possess lies in myself and in the greater whole of existence.

Why must I do your research for you? I told you what will happen, i.e. the same thing that is already happening, and I pointed to the omni-obvious fact that gay marriage produces argument, strife, and uproar everywhere it goes.
That is more than enough for you to run with. When I grew up, we didn't have the internet. Now we do. Yay! Go use it please.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:36 pm

Ragtime, you've edited the quote to remove some salient details... tsk tsk. I'm not asking you to do my research, I'm asking you to substantiate your claims - you introduced them, now back them up or drop the claim. Yes, there are >individuals< who have a problem with this - however, their offense doesn't outweigh the individuals freedom to express, love, and marry. For example, the only one between us experiencing strife between us is you... I'm very happy for my friends who are now able to express their feelings in a manner that they choose. Now, being an adult yourself, please grow past the insults and developed some basis for your arguments other than "because I'm right."

M.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:39 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Ragtime, you've edited the quote to remove some salient details... tsk tsk. I'm not asking you to do my research, I'm asking you to substantiate your claims

I did. Quit playing games.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:48 pm

Ragtime keeps claiming that gay marriage produces "uproar" everywhere it goes, but still hasn't said anything about Massachusetts, or Canada, or any of the many European countries who have legalized gay marriage.