Quote:
Sunday = Reeshon רִאשׁוֹן
Monday = Shenee שֵׁנִי
Tuesday = Shleeshee שְׁלִישִׁי
Wednesday = Re'vee׳ee רְבִיעִי
Thursday = Xameeshee חֲמִישִׁי
Friday = Sheeshee שִׁשִּׁי
Saturday = Shabat שַׁבָּת

After seeing this, it came to my mind something interesting.

Well, I learned as a christian years ago by reading the Creation on Genesis that supposedly, God was the one who would have stated that a week has seven days, as he rested on the seventh day, however, in history we can see where the number seven comes from, and why it has a sacred value, which it contradicts this literal notion as well as other stuff founded and stated by scholars. Thoughts?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 11:22 pm

What if the Creation happened first and the number
seven got associated with meanings afterwards?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 11:36 pm

Well, perhaps.

The thing is that the number seven is older than Judaism, which was held by ancient religions as well and astrology, and the roots of it seems to come from the fact that only 5 planets were seen with the naked-eye in ancient history, the 5 planets plus the moon and the sun, making them the seven heavenly objects. Which seems to be the basis from ancient mythologies and religions to think of the number as sacred and to make different uses of it, and to make a week of seven days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_heav ... _mythology
http://www.experiencefestival.com/seven_sacred_planets

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 12:00 am

"Older than Judaism"

That means nothing. Is Judaism what you think of it today, basically deriving from Rabbi Akiba?
Is it from Moses at the time of the Exodus? Is it from Abraham? Is it from Noah? Is it from Adam?
Or is it from God? The sacrificial system was instituted at the time of Adam, according to the Bible.
So, Biblically, "Judaism" would have been present from the beginning.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 12:31 am

Well, it was believed that Abraham was the founder of Judaism which would place the date around 1800 BC I think, although some scholars seem to think that monotheism in its pure form in Judaism might have started during the time of King Hezekia around 700BC, in which it seems that it might have had gradually changed from politheism to monotheism. Some think that it might have been influenced by a new egyptian religion which eventually became the new Judaism, either way the influence from Egypt and other sources is taken into account which it has been stated that evidence exist for it, probably being why, the ten commandments relation, as the concept of angels and demons, and the devil taken from another ancient religion.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 12:45 am

everyone knows that 9 is the sacred number.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 12:47 am

How about scholars prior to the 1800's?

Really, it wouldn't surprise me if scholars a few hundred years from now claim that Judaism was invented in 1948 by David Ben-Gurion. Hopefully things wont get so bad, but I see no improvement as of my lifetime.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 12:52 am

greenblue wrote:
Well, it was believed that Abraham was the founder of Judaism which would place the date around 1800 BC I think, although some scholars seem to think that monotheism in its pure form in Judaism might have started during the time of King Hezekia around 700BC, in which it seems that it might have had gradually changed from politheism to monotheism. Some think that it might have been influenced by a new egyptian religion which eventually became the new Judaism, either way the influence from Egypt and other sources is taken into account which it has been stated that evidence exist for it, probably being why, the ten commandments relation, as the concept of angels and demons, and the devil taken from another ancient religion.

But Abraham wasn't in the garden of eden .

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 12:56 am

oscuria wrote:

Hmm... No, I don't think so, no.

And I think there are some scholars that question his existence, and take him as probably just a character written in Genesis.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:00 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
"Older than Judaism"

That means nothing. Is Judaism what you think of it today, basically deriving from Rabbi Akiba?
Is it from Moses at the time of the Exodus? Is it from Abraham? Is it from Noah? Is it from Adam?
Or is it from God? The sacrificial system was instituted at the time of Adam, according to the Bible.

and yet hinduism is older.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:01 am

greenblue wrote:
oscuria wrote:

And I think there are some scholars that question his existence, and take him as probably just a character written in Genesis.

I wouldn't pay attention to all the "did he exist or did he not" since that can pretty much erase a great deal of people in the world.

Sherlock Holmes is real, and nothing you say can do anything to remove that from my mind. The man is brilliant, leave him alone!

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:02 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
How about scholars prior to the 1800's?

Really, it wouldn't surprise me if scholars a few hundred years from now claim that Judaism was invented in 1948 by David Ben-Gurion. Hopefully things wont get so bad, but I see no improvement as of my lifetime.

Perhaps he was :P

Maybe some scholars from one or two thousand years from now would think that all was created by a religious Israel-USA aliance in the era of George W. Bush :P

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:06 am

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
"Older than Judaism"

According to what?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:07 am

oscuria wrote:
greenblue wrote:
oscuria wrote:

I wouldn't pay attention to all the "did he exist or did he not" since that can pretty much erase a great deal of people in the world.

Sherlock Holmes is real, and nothing you say can do anything to remove that from my mind. The man is brilliant, leave him alone!

I am with you here, Sherlock Holmes is very real to me as well. I can question everything else but his existence, no way, I would prefer to question mine.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:09 am

greenblue wrote:
oscuria wrote:
greenblue wrote:
oscuria wrote:

I am with you here, Sherlock Holmes is very real to me as well. I can question everything else but his existence, no way, I would prefer to question mine.

"Truth is stranger than the strangest fiction"
-Holmes.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:25 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
"Older than Judaism"

According to what?

archeological research.