Page 8 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2008, 9:55 pm

skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
I also acknowledge our biological mechanisms. The human body is a fascinating creation.

And that's all I'll say about that ...

"creation"

:roll:
I concur with the eye rolling.

Unless creation means copulation. I know who created me. I call them Mom and Dad.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 10:55 pm

slowmutant wrote:
I don't think the elements were personified as gods to escape boredom. Maybe to put a friendly face on the unknown?

Not what I meant actually. The way they treat this world, and the universe for that matter, is something that I find to be far more real than the stance people have today. The world today seems boring and dead. There was so much life then (which is found in their literature/scripture).

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 8:08 pm

Daran wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
I don't see how the monotheism of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or Samaritanism better accomodates our knowledge of the universe than Greek polytheism or Norse mythology would. It's all fiction no matter how you slice it.

I suppose by fiction you are referring to the cosmologies of the religions you mentioned?

I am referring to that and other nonfalsifiable, supernatural beliefs: belief in one or more gods, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife or reincarnation.

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2008, 4:01 pm

Chaotica wrote:
Does anyone remember that, wherever you live?

What if ones ancestors are Jews?