Should American kids learn Spanish?
Yes All American children should be taught Spanish 63%  63%  [ 25 ]
No learning Spanish will not benefit American children 38%  38%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 40

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 9:12 am

ImageThat stinks as selective evidence, three guys holding that sign, while it appears the rest of the manifestation are all holding US flags...

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 4:09 pm

MathThinkerSpain wrote:
1. It happens not only in US, but in any developed country. 1. Here we get mostly ppl from colombia, ecuador, and Argentina. Also lots of Marrocan, poland, east Europa, chinese. ppl. If anybody wants to work and obey the new land- rules. All will be OK. Adapt to a new mixed multicultural world!!,

2. Maybe next citizens will be robots, who knows.

"

1. Here is the problem. People are not adapting to the rules and it's not just Aztecs but politicians that want to tap into a new voter base by pandering. Obama and Mccain both do it. Hillary did too. If people aren't going to abide by the rules of the land, they don't belong here just like if I were to go to another land and expected rules to bend for me while everyone else had to wait in line or learn the land's rules...I wouldn't expect to last long.

2.Robots? Japanese robots perhaps? See the human race sucks so badly that people feel the need to invent robot or either that, Japanese are tired of sniffing panties after being microwaved and blow up dolls. I suspect that is the real reason.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmIf-slNEC8[/youtube]

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:02 pm

Aztecs?!
Fer cryin' out loud!
Aztec empire in green:

Natural Spanish speakers in orange:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:43 pm

LKL wrote:
Aztecs?!
Fer cryin' out loud!
Aztec empire in green:

Natural Spanish speakers in orange:

louisiana isn't spanish speaking. only recently with the slave labor shipped in from mexico thanks to katrina.

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:47 pm

LKL wrote:
Aztecs?!
Fer cryin' out loud!

Yes Aztecs. They must learn their original language again.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 12:23 am

catspurr wrote:
LKL wrote:
Aztecs?!
Fer cryin' out loud!

Yes Aztecs. They must learn their original language again.

Their original language? Nahuatl? Proto-Nahua? Proto-Uto-Aztecan?

Perhaps I should run off and learn Irish, or even Basque (because it's the closest I'm going to get to Old European)!

The "Aztecs" were just one Nahua group at one time, notable only because they happened to be around when the place got conquered. Modern Mexicans aren't Aztecs (heck, they're mostly Mestizo which are a generous mix of European and native), and Aztecs are not self-same with the myriad of people who have spoken Uto-Aztecan in the American Southwest, nor yet would any lineal descent uninterrupted confer any right upon them to it. Of course, what if the Nahua only moved in to Mexico from the American Southwest recently! How much of their "culture" was then lifted from, say, the people who built Teotihuacan (a great city which predates the Aztecs by what, 1000 years?). Alas! They're culture is polluted beyond recovery. :roll:

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 1:27 am

My point was that, even with resurgent racial pride, "Aztecs" make up a miniscule population of those who speak Spanish. It doesn't even account for the native ancestry of Mexico. Why not Mayans? Why not Incas? Why not Orinoco or Parima? Why not Yanomamo? Why, for that matter, not Basques?