Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 7:03 pm

M Shaymalan Night tries to as well... though I don't really know that I'd call his films succeeding, everything after Sixth Sense has been kinda bleh.

I will say this in defense to those making the claim, people who are trying to make more Christian-ish movies are more of a deliberate side-wing of Hollywood it seems (that is those who don't have Morgan Freeman playing God these days at least) and it tended to happen more in reaction I think to the way Hollywood was turning things out. As for Christianity in horror movies like the Exorcist, its more of a playing off of the gothic and forboding aspects; probably very little more evangelistic than the use of the silver cross in Dracula movies.

On the other hand though, all that stuff I just mentioned though, reminds me of why I started this thread - the movies I mentioned, the movies do center around the philosophies more than the plot and yes, in Revolver, its a rather deliberate "lets evangelize" kind of thing. Aside from Passions of the Christ, I can't think of much else recently that has been as deliberate.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 7:18 pm

Well ... if it isn't Kabbalah, then it's Scientology ... one cult issue or another.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 8:13 pm

If I see Morgan Freeman playing god or any other 'wise elder' role again, I think I'll explode. ugh. Hopefully that car crash he was in will stop him being inflicted upon us in such roles again...well for a while anyway.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 10:18 am

Morgan Freeman can be my god anyday.

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2008, 10:30 am

Postperson wrote:
If I see Morgan Freeman playing god or any other 'wise elder' role again, I think I'll explode.

But he's made his whole career out of being the Magical Negro!