Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 1:02 pm

Delirium wrote:
Real Kabbalah is extremely complex and traditionally, you have to be a Jewish male over 40 well-versed in Hebrew, the Torah, and the Talmud. The Hollywood version of Kabbalah has nothing to do with that and is a way to fleece gullible celebrities.

The first part of what you said is exactly how I'd understand it, maybe not the rote specifics on age demographics perhaps but the fact that it is incredibly complex and takes a profound deal of wisdom to actually get oneselt to really *get* what's being taught.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 1:03 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Isn't it obvious what Scientology's true agenda is?

They want to take over the world.

I think I'd rather see the Wahhabiis achieve global Sharia.

"Hi, I have a religion - I just made it up, its a ***SCAM***, I'll scream it from the rooftops SCAM!, and it won't even matter - people are so wretchedly gullible and WEAK that they'll follow me regardless just because I'm telling them something that they want to hear".

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 03 Aug 2008, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 1:05 pm

You are a deep individual, tech.
Quite eclectic, you know.

What other mysticism are you into?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 6:13 pm

Hollywood used to push buddhism - I suppose people tired of that.

As long as it's not Christian seems to be the only criteria for the propagandising of 'faith' or spiritual beliefs in hollywood films.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 6:45 pm

Averick wrote:
What other mysticism are you into?

Hard to say I'm specifically into it, just that I do see a lot of truths - between Buddhism, Kabbalah, Gnostic Christianity, just that I wouldn't go with any particular just because they all have a lot of positions and opinions that are great, and at least a few that I'd personally debate.

My thread about Issam Nemeh though, that at least lended itself to my believing in a Christian reality of theism, just that I have so many problems with the bible that I have a very hard time looking at it as divinely inspired - and if its a mix of parts, who's to say which ones they are. It may be something like Sylvia Brown talks about but even at that, she's said a lot of things that don't add up in my opinion (ie. our world is the most negative world of many, particularly that racism is particularly a white North-American thing; try telling that to the Israeli's, the Chinese in WWII, or the people dying in Darfur right now, countless other examples of how far off point that is - someone who claims to be speaking with spirit guides who fill her in on absolute knowledge shouldn't be making gaffs like that IMO). Seems like everyone has glaring problems here or there with their handling of the human condition, the diversity of motivations, and free will of course is really messed up - its there but its not but it is doesn't cut it for me.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 7:19 pm

goes to have a look

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2008, 12:56 am

Delirium wrote:
Real Kabbalah is extremely complex and traditionally, you have to be a Jewish male over 40 well-versed in Hebrew, the Torah, and the Talmud. The Hollywood version of Kabbalah has nothing to do with that and is a way to fleece gullible celebrities.

Actually, in Lubavitcher philosophy, Kabbalah is now open to those who wish to understand it. Something about the Alter Rebbe's imprisonment in a Czarist prison being a foil on Earth for the debate in the heavens regarding the debate on whether to open Kabbalah to people under 40. The Alter Rebbe's release on Yud Tev Kislev thusly mirrors G-d's decision to open Kabbalah. Or so I heard from my Rabbi once (as in, I may have forgotten some stuff or misunderstood).

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 3:03 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Delirium wrote:

The first part of what you said is exactly how I'd understand it, maybe not the rote specifics on age demographics perhaps but the fact that it is incredibly complex and takes a profound deal of wisdom to actually get oneselt to really *get* what's being taught.

From what I know mystic knowledge is not learned overnight, is not found in the first experience, and is built through time. Tradition has it that you must remain with your spiritual master and work only for Him. It is difficult and not everyone will reach the goal.

This knowledge is lost in all of the "10-Minute Enlightenment" Work-Out books.

Of course, I still don't know much about Kabbalah but I am sure it is not a simple "Pay and know all" type of thing.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:59 am

oscuria wrote:
From what I know mystic knowledge is not learned overnight, is not found in the first experience, and is built through time. Tradition has it that you must remain with your spiritual master and work only for Him. It is difficult and not everyone will reach the goal.

This knowledge is lost in all of the "10-Minute Enlightenment" Work-Out books.

Of course, I still don't know much about Kabbalah but I am sure it is not a simple "Pay and know all" type of thing.

The sheer fact that its an esoteric of a religion means that for the centuries even milennia that its been around, only a small group of people have known about it and the teachers would refuse to teach most people. Back then, you either had it in you to learn or you didn't and I think its very likely the same way now.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:04 pm

Postperson wrote:
Hollywood used to push buddhism - I suppose people tired of that.

As long as it's not Christian seems to be the only criteria for the propagandising of 'faith' or spiritual beliefs in hollywood films.

Right - no films called "The Ten Commandments" coming out of Hollywood, no "Chronicles of Narnia," no "Chariots of Fire," no Judeo-Christian symbology in "Raiders of the Lost Arc" and no heroic priests in "The Exorcist". In fact, over 130% of religious symbology in the movies is non-Christian or anti-Christian, proving that Christians are oppressed, and that they respond to such oppression by flocking to theatres and spending even more money!!

I liked this one:

Quote:
"Millions," a disarming fable about a 7-year-old enthralled by the lives of the saints who finds a stash of stolen money and, believing it is from God, tries to do good with it by giving it to the poor. There are delightful vignettes in which the young hero talks with various saints, and the modest film touches on themes of the corrupting influence of money and humanity's basic decency. A-II (PG)

http://www.usccb.org/movies/topten/topten2005.shtml

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 1:09 pm

Well, it's safe to say that the multitude of stars who practice "kabbalah" aren't included in the heavy sort of magiks and other secret provisions. There's a difference in practice for those who have the blood, and those who do not.

Remember when Roseanne came out about having MPD and the only thing that could fix it was the "kabbalah"? Well, anyway, it apparently was a success. But could you imagine her fixing her eye on the rite of the golem-- that'd be funny. Tom Arnold would ironically just disappear one day...

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 1:18 pm

oscuria wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
It's a Hollywood fad. I don't know enough about Kaballah to give any further comment.

you mean scientology?

The very few bits of information I got from reading about Kabbalah I found that some of my beliefs are very similar to it.

ka-blah and fictionology are both hollyweird trends.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 6:12 pm

Averick wrote:
But could you imagine her fixing her eye on the rite of the golem-- that'd be funny. Tom Arnold would ironically just disappear one day...

Chewbaka would dissapear from all the Star Wars movies I think, lots of lost $$ for George Lucas.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:06 pm

Postperson wrote: "Hollywood used to push buddhism - I suppose people tired of that.
As long as it's not Christian seems to be the only criteria for the propagandising of 'faith' or spiritual beliefs in hollywood films."

Monty wrote:

"Right - no films called "The Ten Commandments""

ooh back in the uh was in 1920's?

coming out of Hollywood, no "Chronicles of Narnia,"

They seemed to remove anything christian from the film and just made it a fable. Was that a hollywood production?

"no "Chariots of Fire," "

Never saw that as I assumed it was about sport. In any case I think it was a british film?

"no Judeo-Christian symbology in "Raiders of the Lost Arc" "

? quite a while since I saw it, I don't recall it as a 'christian film'.

"and no heroic priests in "The Exorcist"."

Heroic? mm they seemed flawed and ordinary to me. I think the horror genre would be an exception, but that's also an old film

"In fact, over 130% of religious symbology in the movies is non-Christian or anti-Christian, proving that Christians are oppressed, and that they respond to such oppression by flocking to theatres and spending even more money!!"

uhm this sentence doesn't make sense.

"I liked this one:
"Millions," a disarming fable about a 7-year-old enthralled by the lives of the saints who finds a stash of stolen money and, believing it is from God, tries to do good with it by giving it to the poor. There are delightful vignettes in which the young hero talks with various saints, and the modest film touches on themes of the corrupting influence of money and humanity's basic decency. A-II (PG)

http://www.usccb.org/movies/topten/topten2005.shtml"

I believe I saw that and it's a UK production. A lot of the examples you give are quite old films or non-hollywood productions. I think the horror genre would be an exception. You forgot to mention Mel Gibson's movie but I don't know if that's classed as 'hollywood' being an independent production.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:25 pm

I guess you could argue that point to an extent with Bruce and Evan Almighty, When Dreams May Come, Constantine, though a lot of those are heavily and rather strictly dosed with "This is what WE think should matter or how WE think it should work". I won't lie though, I'm not sure many people have it right at all and who knows - maybe the secularish new-ager edged Christians are right; its at least preferrable to seeing it villainized.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 8:28 pm

yeah, at least those are a bit more contemporary. I saw Evan Almighty. I guess I'd have to class it as a judeo-christian film outta hollywood. I guess disaster movies are another genre (apart from horror) where you find christian themes. Interesting.