Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 11:24 am

I am against planned miscarriage.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 4:26 pm

@ Vexcalibur you keep talking about week 28 abortions. I do not know of any juristiction that allows this. 28 weeks in my book is too late unless it was a choice between the unborn baby and the mothers life. If 28 weeks is allowed in the USA without some sort of 'extreme circumstances' ruling then it is plainly wrong.

You argue like all extremists always using the worst case examples and emotive logic.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 5:18 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I am against planned miscarriage.

I am against planned and unplanned pregnancies.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2008, 9:10 pm

I'm pro-choice

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 11:52 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Quote:
Somewhere less than 40%, if you count those eggs that were fertilized but never implanted as 'pregnancies.' What does that have to do with viability (ie the stage at which a fetus is no longer dependent on human-donor life support)?
Kids can be born after 7 months and be maintained without human support. Then a secen months fetus counts as a living being.

I have no problem whatsoever with limiting abortions at even 6 months and beyond to life/health of mother and/or severe deformations of the fetus; from my understanding, applying such limitations would alter the rate of late-term abortions virtually not at all, since they are already extremely rare.

Quote:
Quote:
Human EEG
So, what's your definition of human EEG? EEG that comes from something that forcefully qualifies for your definition of human?

One with paterns recognizable as human to someone (say, an MD with a specialty in neurology) who is trained to recognize EEG patterns and their abnormalities.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure most people would be opposed to late-term abortion (unless the mother was going to die or such like).
Which is what I am trying to say.

No argument.

Quote:
You used to say it is not living and that it is not a human, now you are saying it is not a person.

'scuse, where did I (LKL) say that a fetus isn't alive or that it isn't human? I'm usually quite careful not to say things like that.

Quote:
Person is so fuzzy that under some definitions of "person" 1 year olds don't count as those...

I agree that it's a fuzzy term, but that doesn't mean that it's a meaningless or useless term.

Quote:
Quote:
what gestational age would you set as a cutoff? zygote? blastocyst? embryo? fetus of varying ages?
I'd say it is about the stage in which it begins kicking.

So early 2nd trimeser, IIrc. Earlier than I would put it, but not totally unreasonable.

Quote:
Everything would be easier if we sticked to eggs.

LOL I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I've always thought that it's a little unfair that humans don't lay eggs or have tiny offspring like kangaroos. It would be so much easier that way!

Quote:
So, all I wanted to say was that, if you intend not to be pregnant take the decision as soon as possible, it will do a lot of a difference.

Again, no argument. There is a minor problem with that in that low-income women from states that have regulated abortion out of existence (some southern states) might know right away that they want an abortion, but they have to save up a lot of money (takes time) in order to both take time off of work, travel out of state, stay in a motel, and pay for an abortion. They would have it earlier if they could, but being poor takes away a lot of one's options (especially if one has no health insurance, and therefore no primary care physician who can prescribe RU486). I've heard that a lot of women are now ordering drugs from Mexico over the internet that have a side effect of causing abortion - some sort of gastro-intestinal drug, IIrc - so that they don't have to go out of state. I think that making medical (ie, pill) abortions more widely available would dramatically decrease the number of second trimester abortions, but from what I hear the 3rd trimester abortions are almost entirely unplanned and happen on wanted pregnancies when some sort of horrible problem comes up.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 2:22 am

Meowpurr wrote:

Having children is not a selfish act and you either are a spinner of reality or have listened to others version of reality a little too long.

Whether or not it fits your ideology, people are quite capable of being selfish in their intent. Decisions made with such intent are selfish, even if the decision made with selfish intent involves having a child.

Quote:
You sacrifice when you have children. If you are never going to have kids, that's fine but until the day that you do, I don't think you really get what is involved with raising a child and babysitting doesn't count!

I am aware of the effort involved in parenting.

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

09 Sep 2008, 4:38 am

Pro. The world is catastrophically overpopulated as it is without chucking in even more people who aren't even wanted by anyone.

But then again more responsible attitudes to contraception would stem the need for so many abortions.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 11:30 am

^^hear, hear.
Before anything else, we need to make safe, effective contraception (and the education in its use!) widely available for everyone.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 12:32 pm

Contraception doesn't always work, though... but yes, improve education about it and access to it (and make it cheaper, my God condoms are expensive in pharmacies!) and it'll greatly decrease the numbers.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 12:34 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Contraception doesn't always work, though... but yes, improve education about it and access to it (and make it cheaper, my God condoms are expensive in pharmacies!) and it'll greatly decrease the numbers.

Look at the scrolling banner ad on my uni's website. :lol: FREE CONDOMS!! ! :lol:

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 12:44 pm

Orwell wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Look at the scrolling banner ad on my uni's website. :lol: FREE CONDOMS!! ! :lol:

Call me a cynic, but after what I've been through I would never, ever trust anything but the best!! Don't ever want to go down that route again - once is enough thank you!! :lol:

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

09 Sep 2008, 3:59 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Agreed on both counts. For that reason I should have probably talked up (voluntary) sterilization too (which usually works out much cheaper in the long run, in every scenario :lol: ).