I hate religious people, why is that a problem?

Page 8 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 6:50 pm

Explanation for Magnus : The picture is "supposed" to provoke what is written below ^.- .

Nooow, religion, amusing that i've just taken up an "anthropology of religion" class this session, should be loads of fun.

From what i already know though... I could tell you that religion is 1) a means to explain the environment you live in (see the religion of some Australian Natives, they did not know white people existed before they met them, and as such were trying to "ignore" them when they came to them)

2) Religion, as well as culture in general, is rather exclusive, meaning that it is meant to exclude anyone who isn't initiated to it. (Culture is a bit different, but in essence remains the same, whereas you get made fun of if you aren't "up-to-date" with the "latest trends" for example)

3) And i might be straying a bit here, but the fact that weddings and human mating in general is meant to forge alliances (economic and affective), could more or less participate to number 2.

Be gentle if you want to criticize me on those points. <.<;

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 9:33 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Is that you in the picture. Wow, you are hot!

No Lecks is a male.

Lol, doesn't necessarily mean that isn't him.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2010, 12:00 am

abcdefgi

Last edited by wesmontfan on 19 Jan 2010, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2010, 12:14 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Is that you in the picture. Wow, you are hot!

No Lecks is a male.

Lol, doesn't necessarily mean that isn't him.

Change your avatar please!. Its seriously annoying. Every single single guy here has clicked your profile just because of that picture only to find that you're a guy!

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 4:25 am

LOL

Lecks is way hotter than that girl in his avatar. :lol:

-Pythagoras

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 11:39 am

as has been mentioned previously; what is more scary, belief in a diety, or belief period?

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 5:23 pm

oh wow, how did you dug out Ishmael?

I miss the guy...

anyway, one of my new year's resolutions was to stop getting all worked up about irrelevant things. so - I no longer hate idiots. I pity the fools :p

jackpayne
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2010, 4:21 am

Why was my post removed? Because, unlike the others, it addressed the OP's issue? Ridiculous.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 1:31 pm

wesmontfan wrote:
Change your avatar please!. Its seriously annoying. Every single single guy here has clicked your profile just because of that picture only to find that you're a guy!

lol That's hilarious, considering the caption in the aforementioned avatar.

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2010, 8:06 pm

you're going beyond hating the beliefs to hating the people themselves.

Do you hate Martin Luther King Jr,? or Mother Theresa? or the Dalai Lama?
Are those individuals really in the same category (even in your world) as child molesters, and burnie maddoff?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 8:22 pm

Because, I'm religious. :)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 10:10 pm

Hate can be a very constructive powerful emotion. It is a shame to waste it on a mass of rather unthinking foolish people who mostly have only moderate ineffective viewpoints.

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2010, 1:48 am

Ishmael wrote:
I'm serious here. I'm honest enough with myself to know I hate the religious. I can't help it; the religious perspective is in stark contrast to my own. The... refusal to even argue on common grounds, the retreat into doctrine when challenged.

Now, some people see this as a character flaw on my part. Why? I'm not going to pretend to like them. Why should I? I'm being honest here, it's a fact of my life, so be it. I find no personal fault with it; after all, from a professional standard - I cannot abide their anti-scientific world views. I would not be straying to suggest they disgust me; no offense intended, I'm merely stating my feelings towards them. Now, I know the people this thread will attract... I also know the response they may make - so be it.
But, the fact that I hate them is not the point; the point is, as I said, why should that be a problem?

Even my family, agnostics and atheists, say I should not hate them. Why? If I were to try, I would be merely pretending, until I fail and can not pretend to "respect" them anymore. They are wrong! Why is it taboo to say that!? They are, by my considerations, idiots! Uneducated fools; moreso to the ones attending religious education facilities.
So, why is being honest on my views to them "wrong"? Unpleasant for these people, to hear my views, perhaps. But, it's my open, honest opinion, and if they can spout on about the "evils" of "non-belief", why can't I call them out for being contradictory, tear down offensive posters about non-belief. I mean, vehemently offensive posters.
Acknowledgements of distaste are one thing; bordering on encouraging violence against atheists and other religions posted on a wooden cross are another!

I have always had a problem with religious people; I have no qualms about voicing my concerns over them. So why do people encourage me to "respect" them, considering their own behaviours to other religions, or those without the need to cling to ancient comforts?

Why is that seen as being wrong?! Notice any contradictions? So why can't it just be viewed as a mutual given?

If you specifically hated extremists, I would be more sympathetic. The only people who'd think you're wrong for hating religious people are the ones who are religious, in which case, duh. If you study anthropology, religion seems to be a fundamental part of many societies, so you're making a big generalization about calling them all idiots. That's maybe where secular people say you go wrong too.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 2:39 am

Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
I'm serious here. I'm honest enough with myself to know I hate the religious. I can't help it; the religious perspective is in stark contrast to my own. The... refusal to even argue on common grounds, the retreat into doctrine when challenged.

Now, some people see this as a character flaw on my part. Why? I'm not going to pretend to like them. Why should I? I'm being honest here, it's a fact of my life, so be it. I find no personal fault with it; after all, from a professional standard - I cannot abide their anti-scientific world views. I would not be straying to suggest they disgust me; no offense intended, I'm merely stating my feelings towards them. Now, I know the people this thread will attract... I also know the response they may make - so be it.
But, the fact that I hate them is not the point; the point is, as I said, why should that be a problem?

Even my family, agnostics and atheists, say I should not hate them. Why? If I were to try, I would be merely pretending, until I fail and can not pretend to "respect" them anymore. They are wrong! Why is it taboo to say that!? They are, by my considerations, idiots! Uneducated fools; moreso to the ones attending religious education facilities.
So, why is being honest on my views to them "wrong"? Unpleasant for these people, to hear my views, perhaps. But, it's my open, honest opinion, and if they can spout on about the "evils" of "non-belief", why can't I call them out for being contradictory, tear down offensive posters about non-belief. I mean, vehemently offensive posters.
Acknowledgements of distaste are one thing; bordering on encouraging violence against atheists and other religions posted on a wooden cross are another!

I have always had a problem with religious people; I have no qualms about voicing my concerns over them. So why do people encourage me to "respect" them, considering their own behaviours to other religions, or those without the need to cling to ancient comforts?

Why is that seen as being wrong?! Notice any contradictions? So why can't it just be viewed as a mutual given?

If you specifically hated extremists, I would be more sympathetic. The only people who'd think you're wrong for hating religious people are the ones who are religious, in which case, duh. If you study anthropology, religion seems to be a fundamental part of many societies, so you're making a big generalization about calling them all idiots. That's maybe where secular people say you go wrong too.

There are lots of things common to all societies that are idiotic.

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2010, 3:06 am

Sand wrote:
Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
Ishmael wrote:

That's your opinion. And you don't have to hate them for it. You could, but your overlooking the good in a hell of lot of people.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 6:57 am

Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
Sand wrote:
Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
Ishmael wrote:

That's your opinion. And you don't have to hate them for it. You could, but your overlooking the good in a hell of lot of people.

I don't hate anybody. I find you very entertaining.