I hate religious people, why is that a problem?

Page 7 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 7:23 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Loborojo wrote:
christians worship a corpse on a cross, hence death.

I prefer Lord Shiva, destroyer and rebuilder of the cosmos with a cosmic dance. Now that's god that I like :D

Christians do not worship a corpse on a cross. No, that's inaccurate. We worship the ressurected Jesus Christ and God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Resurrection, hence life.

why not an image, pendant around your neck with a corocovado christ (Like the statue in Rio De Janeiro) than this disgusting cross with an emaciated thorn infested bloody body on it?

Ther is a church in Brazil that I visited that refuses to use the cross symbol.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 8:29 pm

Loborojo wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Loborojo wrote:
christians worship a corpse on a cross, hence death.

I prefer Lord Shiva, destroyer and rebuilder of the cosmos with a cosmic dance. Now that's god that I like :D

Christians do not worship a corpse on a cross. No, that's inaccurate. We worship the ressurected Jesus Christ and God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Resurrection, hence life.

why not an image, pendant around your neck with a corocovado christ (Like the statue in Rio De Janeiro) than this disgusting cross with an emaciated thorn infested bloody body on it?

The emaciated thorn infested body symbolizes the Passion of Jesus Christ. To be sure, it was an ugly affair. I wonder why any church would reject the cross as a symbol. Perhaps in Brazil they are queasy Christians and would rather gloss over the Passion aspect of our Saviour's earthly existence. It was not glamorous nor should it be glossed over.

The Roman cross is disgusting, you say? Crucifying a man is not a pretty or glamorous thing. But what came after the unpretty, unglamorous death on the cross, the Resurrection ... it was worth it.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 8:47 pm

Loborojo wrote:

The cross wasn't even the original symbol of Christianity... that honor belongs to the fish. The Greek word for fish, Ichthys, was used as an acronym of sorts for Jesus, but to a bystander would just mean fish (this was used to avoid persecution during early Christianity). This is the symbol that some people put on bumper stickers, and later inspired the parodies like the FSM fish and the Darwin fish...

And, for the record, only Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Coptic , Anglican, and Lutheran denominations of Christianity use the full crucifix. Other denominations generally just use a cross without the caricature of Jesus on it.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 9:04 pm

I find some crosses and crucifixes, especially the more ornate ones, to be quite beautiful.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 9:05 pm

claire333 wrote:
I find some crosses and crucifixes, especially the more ornate ones, to be quite beautiful.

As do I.

jackpayne
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2010, 9:38 pm

[Removed - M.]

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 11:27 am

Why hating religious people is a problem...

It's a problem if you have reason to be socially cooperative with them. Hate gets in the way of getting along socially to get things done.

It's a problem if you have reason to be socially cooperative with people who are friends of or family with religious people. Hating people's friends or family gets in the way of social cooperation.

And we humans need other people.

And, contrary to what the original poster said, one can help it. One can do something to counter one's own hate. Thoughts affect feelings. With self talk, and educating oneself, and making choices in how to see something, one can change one's own attitude. One can actively choose to see the good in religious people. To see that even though their religious views seem logical, most of them have a lot to offer the world and are mentally healthy and well adapted to living.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 11:38 am

Mysty wrote:
Why hating religious people is a problem...

It's a problem if you have reason to be socially cooperative with them. Hate gets in the way of getting along socially to get things done.

It's a problem if you have reason to be socially cooperative with people who are friends of or family with religious people. Hating people's friends or family gets in the way of social cooperation.

And we humans need other people.

And, contrary to what the original poster said, one can help it. One can do something to counter one's own hate. Thoughts affect feelings. With self talk, and educating oneself, and making choices in how to see something, one can change one's own attitude. One can actively choose to see the good in religious people. To see that even though their religious views seem logical, most of them have a lot to offer the world and are mentally healthy and well adapted to living.

To hate any general class of people is not only a mistake, it's not worth the effort. Religions are so confused about so many things it's best to treat people as individuals. No doubt, some people are hateful, religious or not. On the average, most people are not.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 11:53 am

I am non-religious, but I certainly don't hate religious people.

I don't think I'd even go so far as to say I hate religion itself. As a whole, I dislike the idea of religion, but there are aspects of most religions that I find charming. For example, the beauty of religious architecture such as the Sistine Chapel. The holy books are fascinating even if you don't believe in their literal (or general) truth. Many of the religions that nobody believes in anymore (such as the Roman, Greek and Norse gods) are interesting and cool.

Of course, people have done some terrible things in the name of religion, and I hate that side of religion, but religion as a whole is not 100% bad or 100% good. That has nothing to do with how true or untrue religious claims might be, this is just my view of the effects on human society religion has.

y es como un semestre"

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 1:47 pm

In this thread:

People thinking theism/atheism is with/without religion.

You can have religion without believing ridiculous theism.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 1:56 pm

Khan_Sama wrote:
There was a time when I claimed that I wanted to wipe Islam off the face of the Earth, and now I'm a Muslim. Go ahead and say whatever you want, you have every right to. Out of experience, my anti-religion stance in the past earned me no respect apart from a bunch of junkies.

Do you live in a Muslim country with a harline government/society? I think that in those countries anyone who isn't a Muslim will earn no respect, seriously.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:34 pm

Hate is a problem.

-Pythagoras

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:41 pm

Magnus wrote:
Hate is a problem.

Only when acted upon.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:44 pm

Is that you in the picture. Wow, you are hot!

Anyway, Hate is a problem for anyone who feels it either first hand or second...

-Pythagoras

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:06 pm

Magnus wrote:
Is that you in the picture. Wow, you are hot!

No Lecks is a male.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:45 pm

To O.P.

If someone is religious in a private way, why should you bear him any ill will?

ruveyn