Is this a sexist photo? A Cheapshot?
Yes 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
No 78%  78%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 18

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 9:45 am

Absolutely sexist. It follows the media trend of focusing on the fact that Palin has two X chromosomes instead of on whatever ideas she has in her head. It focuses on her charm and appeal instead of on her presumable qualifications. It dehumanizes her and shows a fragmented image of what the photographer thought we would be more interested in seeing.

As I said in another thread long ago, the key of tolerance and equality is about not making the issue an issue. Let's stop focusing on Palin's womanhood and start focusing on what she intends to do in Washington.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 11:26 am

Everybody run, the homecoming queen has got a gun!

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 11:36 am

carturo222 wrote:
Absolutely sexist. It follows the media trend of focusing on the fact that Palin has two X chromosomes instead of on whatever ideas she has in her head. It focuses on her charm and appeal instead of on her presumable qualifications. It dehumanizes her and shows a fragmented image of what the photographer thought we would be more interested in seeing.

As I said in another thread long ago, the key of tolerance and equality is about not making the issue an issue. Let's stop focusing on Palin's womanhood and start focusing on what she intends to do in Washington.

Her womenhood has been advancing the McCain campaign. THATS why he choose her as his running mate! Dont you see? Sex not only sells, it wins votes! Especially from middle america.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 11:50 am

That's even worse. The McCain campaign is using her womanhood as a hook to get votes from those blunt enough to vote for genetic contingencies instead of for ideas.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 12:02 pm

carturo222 wrote:
That's even worse. The McCain campaign is using her womanhood as a hook to get votes from those blunt enough to vote for genetic contingencies instead of for ideas.

And Palin consents to it since she gets the next best position in the US goverment and has the option of using her sex appeal to influence McCain. Sex and politics seem to go together like a knife through hot butter. :lol:

monty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 12:12 pm

McCain suggests that his wife should enter the topless "miss buffalo chip" beauty contest.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RTlfRYLxA[/youtube]

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 5:22 pm

I do not think this picture is sexist. With all the sexist threads...maybe someone should define it. I personally find very few things sexist. So, maybe it is just me.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:23 pm

definition of sexism:

Quote:
Sexism is the belief or attitude that one gender or sex is inferior to or less valuable than the other and can also refer to a hatred or distrust towards either sex as a whole (see also misogyny and misandry), or creating stereotypes of masculinity for men or femininity for women.[1] It is also called male and female chauvinism.

Sexism can refer also to any and all systemic differentiations based on the gender of a person, not based on their individual merits. In some circumstances this type of sexism may constitute sex discrimination, which in some forms is illegal in some countries.

nothing is sexism in that pic.

Anyways , anyone who says that global warming is not caused by humans is idiot ....regardless of the gender.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:46 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:

How about the saying, a picture speaks a thousand words? ;)

well, it depends on how one looks at it, depending on the point of view and ideology of the observer, if the perception and interpretation of this is of portraying women as sex objects, giving them more value by their physical attributes rather than from what they can do, then it would be considered sexist and even mysoginist from some.

I doubt that pic is real anyway, very likely seems to be photochopped.

Quote:
Anyways , anyone who says that global warming is not caused by humans is idiot ....regardless of the gender.

How about those who say it is caused by nature?

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:50 pm

greenblue wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:

well, it depends on how one looks at it, depending on the point of view and ideology of the observer, if the perception and interpretation of this is of portraying women as sex objects, giving them more value by their physical attributes rather than from what they can do, then it would be considered sexist and even mysoginist from some.

Quote:

all what I see in the pic is two legs and a man looking at the face of the lady....

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:05 pm

greenblue wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:

Quote:

Ive never understood womens incessant complaining about how men treat them as "sex *objects*". Because if you really look further into it, women use men to the same extent as men used women! Women see men as objects too ya know.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:18 pm

This is not sexist mind you its not in good taste, but it is not sexist. If it had been a woman on the other side of those legs it wouldn't have gotten any attention at all, and if the picture was reverse a woman seen through a man's legs nothing would be said about it.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:48 pm

Haliphron wrote:
Women see men as objects too ya know.
Good point. Now I think the picture may be sexist after all...toward men. Some of those thousand words the picture is speaking could contain notions of what males think of women. Yeah, if it is sexist, the sexism is aimed at the guy between her legs.

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 12:41 pm

claire333 wrote:
Haliphron wrote:
Women see men as objects too ya know.
Good point. Now I think the picture may be sexist after all...toward men. Some of those thousand words the picture is speaking could contain notions of what males think of women. Yeah, if it is sexist, the sexism is aimed at the guy between her legs.

Hmmmm...

Good point.

-Walt Whitman