Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 8:55 am

Just thought I'd mention.
http://www.legitgov.org/drought_oddities.html

Privatization threats have already started. Oh, there will be some elaborate excuse.
It will all be in the interest of efficiency, you know. The same old government will be
looking out for our best interests, as usual.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 1:36 pm

I do not live in California, but I always thought it was the same thing over and over every year there. In the rainy seasons they scream...Water! Water! Flood! Flood! In the dry seasons they scream...Drought! Drought! Fire! Fire!
Fire and Flood Cycle Plagues California

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 2:11 pm

I think that the principal problem is overpopulation. If California didn't have so many people, then you wouldn't need so much water.

Californians also bathe too much. In Illinois, we usually only bathe on Saturday night. Of course, if you're last in the tub, then you might as well wait another week. The main problem is lawn-watering restrictions--sometimes our lawns get too brown.

Nutterbug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2009, 3:22 pm

Can they live without grassy lawns and golf courses?

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 4:21 pm

Um... I'm fine with rationing and all that. The point was

Privatization.

Greedy people owning public water.
It's another way of controlling the masses.
We're talking water. It's personal. And it's now.
If they get away with it, it will hurt you this year.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 4:56 pm

pandabear wrote:
Californians also bathe too much. In Illinois, we usually only bathe on Saturday night. Of course, if you're last in the tub, then you might as well wait another week. The main problem is lawn-watering restrictions--sometimes our lawns get too brown.

Are you serious? Illinoians must really smell.

Nutterbug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2009, 4:58 pm

Henriksson wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Are you serious? Illinoians must really smell.

It makes no sense that Illinoians would be more conservative with their water than Californians when they live right next to the Great Lakes.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 5:16 pm

I don't blame them.
I hate taking a bath when it's cold.
I wouldn't last a day in Chicago.

Nutterbug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2009, 5:17 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
I don't blame them.
I hate taking a bath when it's cold.
I wouldn't last a day in Chicago.

A hot bath wouldn't hit the spot on a cold day?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 6:23 pm

claire333 wrote:
I do not live in California, but I always thought it was the same thing over and over every year there. In the rainy seasons they scream...Water! Water! Flood! Flood! In the dry seasons they scream...Drought! Drought! Fire! Fire!
Fire and Flood Cycle Plagues California

The primary problem is that water allocation here is run by politicians. Like all politicians, they promise what they can't deliver. With water that means that only rains of biblical proportions can satisfy the promised allocations. That simply isn't realistic, so in GOOD years everybody might get 60%. In dry years they're lucky to get 20%. This summer, they may get 0%.

Another problem is that the collapse of the Teton Dam in Idaho in 1976 has left a deep institutional memory at the federal agencies charged with running the water storage reservoirs. The Teton was built on the worst possible ground, but Washington began to fear that any and all dams may give way if there was too much water, even solid dams. So they draw the lake levels down way too low, and then they have no backup. The two things put together means that the state never has enough water.

And then you have too many people living among poorly managed forests that are full of dead trees, and living among the flammable chaparral of the southern deserts, and then they act surprised when a massive fire devours their houses. They defiantly rebuild, then ten years later another fire roars through. Etc.

I'm all too happy to hand the place back to Mexico if the Mexicans want it back as badly as they claim. They can have most of the rest of their old land back too, since most of it is uninhabitable without the manipulations of modern civilization. They can dislodge the Mormons and the Texans themselves, send the drug lords after them.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 6:36 pm

The Texas Hill Country (near San Antonio and Austin), where I live, is going through a severe drought right now.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 6:38 pm

I live in the NW and guess what? There is NO drought! And no sign of one comming. Though Ive been a staunch advocate of Nuclear Desalination of seawater and then have this water pumped inland analogous to the way we have the Trans-Alaska pipeline.
Seawater is effectively a limitless resource as it is constantly being formed and evaporated.

anonOS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2009, 6:46 pm

Oh joy, having a few people control the masses, by owning all the food and water.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 7:30 pm

pezar wrote:
The primary problem is that water allocation here is run by politicians...
Thanks for your response. Like I said, I have never lived in the state so I can only comment from the perspective of what I see in the news from time to time. I would assume all public water resouces are controled by politicians and local governments, but would have to agree they are the problem if they are draining your supply without regard for public need.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 8:20 pm

Nutterbug wrote:
It makes no sense that Illinoians would be more conservative with their water than Californians when they live right next to the Great Lakes.

Well, California is right next to the Pacific Ocean. All you need is some desalination plants. Maybe distill the ocean, and you can sell the salt.

SpazzDog
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2009, 8:33 pm

I thought water was already privatized. I don't recall anyone ever having a free water utility.