Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Will California legalize?
Yes, the're well on their way. 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Indeed. The Taco Bell, Keebler, and Frito Lay lobbyists are working feverishly in Washington as we speak. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
No, the fed has the states by the collar - superceded! 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
No! I will not have everyone around me driving 10 miles an hour! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
These are signs of the end of days - we won't be here long enough to see it to come to fruition. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 2:28 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:

Seeing that California won't allow something as harmless as same-sex marriage, then medical marijuana doesn't have a prayer. Legal drugs like Alcohol causes more damage then marijuana ever has.... I have never seen a pot-head throw a punch.

Medical marijuana is legal in Canada. Possession of medical marijuana is controlled under the Marijuana Medical Access Regulations, which came into effect in the summer of 2001. The regulations allow individuals with severe diseases to use marijuana to relieve their symptoms when the usual treatments for these conditions have failed.

???

Medical marijuana IS legal in California, that's not what this is about. It's legal in Oregon as well. The "decriminalization" movement in the U.S. has begun too, in places such as Denver and Seattle. The federal government hates it, and refuses to acknowledge its legitimacy, because they aren't getting paid as a result.

And that's what this scheme in California is about: straight up legalization for the purposes of boosting government revenues.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 2:36 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:

It's ok not to agree with this stuff, but to say that the country should have your view on it seems pretty harsh to me... two dudes getting hitched is hardly something to kick up a fuss about which is what California is doing.

Also, "California" the state, and government, and economic entity, are not "kicking up a fuss" about this (assuming what you are referring to is Prop 8 ). The population of the state voted for it, which they have every right to do.

I support gay marriage wholeheartedly, but it's not going to get acknowledged on the federal level, which means it's up to the states, and the voters within those states. The democratic process is far more important than gay marriage in the scheme of things, and at this point, if the voters don't like it, then that sucks but tough sh*t and better luck next time.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 4:40 pm

amazon_television wrote:
Also, "California" the state, and government, and economic entity, are not "kicking up a fuss" about this (assuming what you are referring to is Prop 8 ). The population of the state voted for it, which they have every right to do.

If there was no fuss over it then why was it put to a vote? And are you saying that the protests that happened after the vote was nothing?

Voting to ban same-sex marriage still doesn't change the fact it is harmless.

Remember the vote that took place to have creationism taught in schools? (Forget which state it was in) now everyone knows that creationism is not a science, but voting 'yes' does not 'make' is a science.

Bottem line is the majority is not always right.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 5:05 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:

Bottem line is the majority is not always right.

Not in your eyes they aren't. Not in mine either. But my earlier point was that respecting the voting majority is what makes democracy tick. Obviously not everyone will be happy, but putting it to a vote is mathematically the closest thing.

Quote:
And are you saying that the protests that happened after the vote was nothing?

Read my post more closely. I said that the state, from a governing position, was not part of that. Of course the population was pissed! Almost half of them didn't get their way on a very hotly contested issue, and they have every right to protest for any reason that suits them. They can say all they want about how unfair it is to the homosexual subset of the population, and they would be right, but that doesn't change the fact that, for better or worse, the system has spoken.

More often than not I don't like the results, but that's just my perspective. There are many many idiots in America that contribute to the vote and the media's shaping of the issues. But I am thankful to live in a system that, while far from perfect, is generally respected and logistically close to as fair as possible.

Quote:
Remember the vote that took place to have creationism taught in schools? (Forget which state it was in) now everyone knows that creationism is not a science, but voting 'yes' does not 'make' is a science.

I know what you are talking about, I think it was in Kansas. This is a perfect example of what I was talking about above. Voting 'yes' of course does not make it science, but if people are idiots and do not want to learn science (which is often the case), then who are we to tell them what they must learn?

I would rather have the right to stand up for what I believe, as a voting citizen, than having the government or the church or anyone who thinks their perspective and views are better than anyone else's overriding the majority vote and saying "sorry fellas, you can't have this because you're just wrong".

That is, in fact, precisely the reason this country was started in the first place, and precisely the reason the constitution was written the way it was.