Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Will California legalize?
Yes, the're well on their way. 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Indeed. The Taco Bell, Keebler, and Frito Lay lobbyists are working feverishly in Washington as we speak. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
No, the fed has the states by the collar - superceded! 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
No! I will not have everyone around me driving 10 miles an hour! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
These are signs of the end of days - we won't be here long enough to see it to come to fruition. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 9:52 pm

I'll admit, I've been out of town a lot and have only been able to hear the news so much. However I'm seeing a lot about California wanting to take the step from medical marijuana to legalized marijuana and it seems like they might be getting some backing due to the current financial crisis and claims of what it (as well as hemp products) could do to stimulate the economy? Personally I think this would be great, there are some drugs like methamphetamine where they eat holes in your brain - pure and simple they're too destructive. Marijuana, ever since the 80's or 90's where science has taken it, the illegality of it has seemed very arbitrary and obstinant. AFAIK no braincells killed, at worst it acts on your brain a bit like haldol or risperidal in terms of slowing down dopamine and acetycholine in the hypothalamus, it doesn't cause any of the rowdy behavior that alcohol does, and if anything it would just make our inventors that much more intensely creative.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 11:18 pm

I'd not be surprised, Cali has often been quite....excentric and open-minded to new stuff ^.- .

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 11:23 pm

The American government has effectively blocked Canada from legalizing. If Cali went ahead and did it, Canada would immediate after, if not before. And the American feds would be choked up with bile.

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2009, 12:06 am

Probably not anytime soon, but they might be the first. I sure hope so at least. Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 2:42 am

I think it should be illegal everywhere, and that there should be even stiffer penalties for it than there are now.

Same goes for same-sex marriage and abortion.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 2:49 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I think it should be illegal everywhere, and that there should be even stiffer penalties for it than there are now.

Thats interesting Tim_Tex. What penalties would you suggest?

I think it is illegal everywhere.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 3:03 am

I hope they legalize it, along with all other drugs, including cocaine, meth, and heroin.

Tim_Tex wrote:

You know, I have never smoked pot, I have never smoked a cigarette, and I've never even consumed a single alcoholic beverage in my life. Not even a sip of wine at a wedding. I believe I once had a teaspoon of cough syrup with a small amount of alcohol in it. I am still in favor of legalizing all drugs because (a) it's their life, and their choice what to do with it, not mine or anyone else's, and (b) all available empirical evidence suggests that, counterintuitive though it may seem, legalizing drugs is probably the most practical way to minimize the social harm they cause. Of course meth and coke are still horrible for you, but if they were legal we would better be able to handle those problems.

Quote:

I can understand some of the pro-life arguments, but what's wrong with same-sex marriage?

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 3:08 am

If weed was legal and distributed by the government I'd probably buy it on the black market anyway.

I'm sure it would be real expensive because there's no way the federal government would allow a state to legalize it unless they were also getting cut in. Buyers would be taxed on both the state and federal level (as with cigarettes /tobacco), and possibly there would be some kind of "potency" regulations if it wasn't being distributed for medical purposes. Medical dope in California is expensive enough as is (around $60 an 1/8th I believe), and it may as well be legal because they will give just about any adult with a BS reason a medical card (a friend of mine in CA gets medical dope, something you SMOKE, as a result of his "asthma" :lol: )... As it stands, the taxes are kept within the state, and it can become "legal" for any adult with a semblance of resourcefulness; I think that's the best-case scenario all around.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 9:22 am

I think that California will and then so will other states.

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2009, 12:52 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Bill Hicks -

redneck voice : "God put the dinosaur fossils here to test our faith."

"I think God put you here to test my faith."

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 May 2009, 3:40 pm

you know what they say. it starts on the coast and works its way into the middle of the country, hopefully. pot needs to be legalized

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 7:38 pm

amazon_television wrote:
If weed was legal and distributed by the government I'd probably buy it on the black market anyway.

I'm sure it would be real expensive because there's no way the federal government would allow a state to legalize it unless they were also getting cut in. Buyers would be taxed on both the state and federal level (as with cigarettes /tobacco), and possibly there would be some kind of "potency" regulations if it wasn't being distributed for medical purposes. Medical dope in California is expensive enough as is (around $60 an 1/8th I believe), and it may as well be legal because they will give just about any adult with a BS reason a medical card (a friend of mine in CA gets medical dope, something you SMOKE, as a result of his "asthma" :lol: )... As it stands, the taxes are kept within the state, and it can become "legal" for any adult with a semblance of resourcefulness; I think that's the best-case scenario all around.

I guess that's also all the reason to lean libertarian/conservative on size of government along with that plan. If we were going more toward being a wellfare state - of course it'd hardly be worth buying on the open market.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 12:20 am

Well, since most of the people using "medical" marijuana there are just stoners who work the system to get it, it wouldn't make much of a difference.
As for whether I think they'll legalize it: California voted for Prop 8, so I don't think they'll vote to legalize pot either.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 3:42 am

They voted for prop 8 because of a misinformation campaign orchestrated by the mormon church.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 11:18 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

I don't get it Tim...
You don't want to smoke marijuana.... then don't
You don't want to marry another dude.... then don't
You can't get preganent, so you can't decide something like that.
It's ok not to agree with this stuff, but to say that the country should have your view on it seems pretty harsh to me... two dudes getting hitched is hardly something to kick up a fuss about which is what California is doing.

Seeing that California won't allow something as harmless as same-sex marriage, then medical marijuana doesn't have a prayer. Legal drugs like Alcohol causes more damage then marijuana ever has.... I have never seen a pot-head throw a punch.

Medical marijuana is legal in Canada. Possession of medical marijuana is controlled under the Marijuana Medical Access Regulations, which came into effect in the summer of 2001. The regulations allow individuals with severe diseases to use marijuana to relieve their symptoms when the usual treatments for these conditions have failed.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 2:06 pm

I don't know what the big fascination is for marijuana, but, sure, go ahead, legalize it and tax it. The government is desperate for money, and fighting marijuana has cost the government far too much money.

Same thing with sex. Sex is legal, and taxed once through the issuance of a marriage license.