Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 7:34 am

The mind is one of the most complex phenomena that exists. As technology and civilization continue to advance and evolve, the mind, likewise, also continues to evolve, becoming more and more complex with each technological innovation and each passing age. The evolution of the mind, therefore, is dependent on the growth of technology, and the growth of technology is, evidently, dependent on the evolution of the mind. This topic here brings to mind the question of which event preceded the other: the evolution of the mind or technological innovation? It is the evolution of the mind which produces the advancement in technology, and it is the advancement in technology which precipitates the further development of the mind. So, as it appears, the evolution of the mind and technological innovation are both co-eval and co-dependent on each other: one simply cannot thrive without the other.

The above conflict appears to be inherently similar to many other philosophical conflicts (e.g. the issue of Freedom versus Determinism). One cannot be free without first being determined. On the flip side, something cannot be determined without first being free. When you are born, you grow and develop and obtain freedom, thus, you are determined (birth) before you become free (maturity), and are able to be freely determined, capable of living your life until your inevitable death. This conflict also brings to mind the question of which event preceded the other: Freedom or Determinism? It is the determined nature of our species to be born and to pass away, and it is the free nature of our species to give birth. So, as it appears, the freedom of the will and determinism are both co-eval and co-dependent on each other.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 6:14 pm

I like your thread today. I can only comment on the first paragraph because I have trouble making the connection between the two, and my views of free will seem they might be different from yours. I have wondered if there is any evolution of the mind due to technological advance. I sometimes think there may not be. Each advance is based on a previous one. Technology evolves, but we only grow more dependent on it. I do not consider the fact most would not be able to sustain ones self without it to be more evolved.