5-year old aspie voted out of kindergarten by students

Page 10 of 16 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2008, 4:59 pm

I hope that teacher gets fired, or a good pay cut.

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2008, 6:04 pm

I remember in first grade having a dunce cap put on my head and having to sit in the corner because I left the classroom when another student threw up in the middle of the room (I have a weak stomach and went outside the room to catch my breath so I didn't throw up myself -- apparently I wasn't able to explain that adequately enough to the teacher and was punished).

I remember another time, with another teacher in 1st or 2nd grade, being made to sing in front of the whole class as punishment while everyone laughed...

I remember a 4th grade teacher taking me by the shoulders screaming and yelling at me as she shook the heck out of me... I don't know why she did that... I remember being paddled a lot...

I remember a lot of school abuse by teachers and mostly the students... People are surprised when our society produces a Cho or a Columbine incident -- but you have to wonder.... After years of abuse at school, eventually one of these kids is gonna crack... You'd think society would learn...

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 7:19 pm

Felinity wrote:
I remember a lot of school abuse by teachers and mostly the students... People are surprised when our society produces a Cho or a Columbine incident -- but you have to wonder.... After years of abuse at school, eventually one of these kids is gonna crack... You'd think society would learn...

I think the problem is that not ENOUGH pressure is being put on people like Cho and Harris/Kliebold.

deadpanhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2008, 7:57 pm

Yupa wrote:
Felinity wrote:

I think the problem is that not ENOUGH pressure is being put on people like Cho and Harris/Kliebold.

No offense, Yupa, but really, you should wait until you are a parent before forming such an opinion. At least wait until you are actually an adult. That is a terribly simplistic answer to an incredibly multi-faceted problem. Besides, we, the public, only have a tiny bit of actual information about those cases. What really needed to be known likely died with them.

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2008, 11:55 pm

Felinity wrote:
I remember in first grade having a dunce cap put on my head and having to sit in the corner because I left the classroom when another student threw up in the middle of the room (I have a weak stomach and went outside the room to catch my breath so I didn't throw up myself -- apparently I wasn't able to explain that adequately enough to the teacher and was punished).

I remember another time, with another teacher in 1st or 2nd grade, being made to sing in front of the whole class as punishment while everyone laughed...

I remember a 4th grade teacher taking me by the shoulders screaming and yelling at me as she shook the heck out of me... I don't know why she did that... I remember being paddled a lot...

This is why I have contempt for elementary school teachers :x I remember, in grade 6, we had done an art project that the teacher displayed on the bulletin board outside the class. The cow of a teacher brought the class out into the hall, pulled me out in front, and pulled up my one and only friend to stand beside me, and basically said that my art was garbage, and look how much better my friends art was. She was mortified. I was devastated. It was an art project. There is not supposed to be a critique on a grade 6 art project. In that case, though, the class was shocked (she was a mean old cow anyway, no one could stomach her - pun not intended). She also seemed to have it in for me - we weren't allowed to ride our bikes out of the school yard, we had to walk them, and as soon as we were off private grounds we could ride in traffic to our heart's content, I suppose. Well, she caught me riding out of grounds one day, hauled me in and gave me detention. While there, I pointed out the three or so students outside riding merrily all over the fields etc., and people I recognized from class. Do you think THEY got hauled in? No. Yes, I broke a rule, and I accepted punishment, but it made me wonder why rules were so important for me, but didn't apply to other children.

Anyway, what a horrible thing that monster of a teacher did to that little boy, not to mention she set him up for more abuse - nothing like giving permission to a bunch of children to discriminate. :tired:

tharn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2008, 9:47 am

This lady made a giant mistake.

Of course, what she did was terribly Wrong. But beyond that, she picked on a kid who looks good on camera. It's not right that that should matter, but it DOES. That kid was adorable on the CNN interview. He was fidgety, but otherwise well behaved. He smiled constantly, and he chattered into his microphone until they turned it off. Moreover, he was an attractive kid. And he was White.

(For anyone unfamiliar with Missing White Woman Syndrome, non-Whites are far less likely to gain media attention when victims. It's horrible that this is the case, but if this kid were Black or Hispanic... people would pay MUCH less attention.)

The only way this could have drawn more attention is if the victim was female, and suffered from a more visible physical injury that put her in a wheelchair. If that were the case, the "teacher" would have been ridden out of town on a rail.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 10:26 am

Just shows how evil democracy is when applied incorrectly.

Why are we never allowed to vote the bullies or the sadistic/perverted teachers out of the classroom?

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 May 2008, 12:50 pm

I'm glad that this story is getting the press it deserves-- to bring to light how abusive teachers and students can be when they gang up on an individual, especially a disabled individual... This happens so often in our society -- I wonder if bullying happens as often in other societies as well and if there's been any studies on this? Hopefully, with this type of news coverage, it will help to reduce these incidents in the classroom..

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 1:23 pm

It's stories like these that make me a bigger advocate of home schooling.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 3:19 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
It's stories like these that make me a bigger advocate of home schooling.

Whereas not even stories like this would get me to agree to homeschool my future kid(s).

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2008, 5:16 pm

Do you dislike you're hypothetical children?

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 5:31 pm

Thomas1138 wrote:

One thing I've learned from interacting with children who have been homeschooled is that most of them are, if not extremely clueless and withdrawn, generally people who have little to no respect for the feelings and personal boundaries of others, which can create quite more than a few problems for both themselves and others.
This, to me, is proof from my own observation that public schooling really is necessary (though I disagree with private schooling, due to the extremely conservative standards that private schools attempt to enforce)

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 5:59 pm

Thomas1138 wrote:

What?

I believe children should go to regular school with qualified teachers, period.

Not all "teachers" are qualified of course, but it's better in the long run to deal with the crap.

I wasn't homeschooled and am better off now because I wasn't.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 6:16 pm

beau99 wrote:
Thomas1138 wrote:

What?

Not all "teachers" are qualified of course, but it's better in the long run to deal with the crap.

Were you ever homeschooled?

deadpanhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2008, 12:00 am

Yupa wrote:
Thomas1138 wrote:

One thing I've learned from interacting with children who have been homeschooled is that most of them are, if not extremely clueless and withdrawn, generally people who have little to no respect for the feelings and personal boundaries of others, which can create quite more than a few problems for both themselves and others.
This, to me, is proof from my own observation that public schooling really is necessary (though I disagree with private schooling, due to the extremely conservative standards that private schools attempt to enforce)

I am seriously not trying to pick on you, but to keep things factual. You cannot substantiate on the basis of your opinion of the few homeschooled kids you've known that the entire endeavor is lacking. Hmm, "clueless and withdrawn"? Maybe they were homeschooled because they are Aspies or PDD, too! That is how it can appear. I happen to have a wonderful homeschooled college honor student who is so respectful of others' feelings and boundaries that her huge group of friends raised funds to fly her out to see them. I also know many more who are similarly kind and accomplished. I am certain i have known many more than you have and i assure you that their character and education as a group can stand nicely up to the public school crowd. Exactly how many homeschooled kids have you known? How well did you actually know them? Couldn't any of your opinion be attributed to typical Aspie misunderstanding? (The last one is rhetorical. Of course it's a yes.)

"I disagree with private schooling, due to the extremely conservative standards that private schools attempt to enforce" Do you want a teenager dictating to you what services should and should not be allowed in your country based on their own narrow and subjective opinion? Neither do i. If parents like those schools and are willing to pay not only for a public education through exorbitant taxes, but hundreds of dollars a month of their hard earned wages to do what they believe is best for their children, what business is it of anyone else?

Really, please stop speaking of things about which you do not know. I say this in your interest as well as everyone else's.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 1:10 am

oscuria wrote:
beau99 wrote:
Thomas1138 wrote:

What?

Were you ever homeschooled?

Just in case you can't read, I bolded the last sentence.