Boyle just can't leave it alone, can he?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 3:17 pm

http://www.rethink.org/how_we_can_help/ ... compl.html

Frankie Boyle parodies an advert which was showing considerable success in changing peoples views of mental health.

Quote:
In a letter to Ofcom, Mark Davies, Rethink’s director of communications said: “There is no causal link between mental illness and violence. In fact, people with mental illness are more likely to be the victims than the perpetrators of violence.

“Clearly, given that someone like Mr Boyle feels the need to mock the Time to Change project, we must be succeeding in at least raising the issue to a wider audience.

“But we cannot ignore the fact that this sort of thoughtless, insensitive stereotyping of difficult human experiences in the name of comedy blights the lives of those seeking to overcome mental illness.

“Rethink fully supports freedom of expression, but we do believe the line must be drawn somewhere. Prejudice and discrimination around mental illness is one of the last taboos in our society and we are determined to do everything we can to tackle it.

“By inferring that people with mental illness are violent, the Frankie Boyle sketch was misleading. One in four people have a mental health problem at some point in their lives. This sketch caused offence to many people in this group.”

Well done for shaving another decade off any sort of progress you paedophile-looking ginger twat.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 4:03 pm

You realise that he probably gave that campaign a lot more publicity than it would have otherwise received by parodying it, right?

Also, there are some causes which are actually enlisting comedians to take the piss out of them in order to create awareness. See here for a recent example.

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2010, 4:27 pm

I wouldn't say the sketch was actually saying that people with mental illnesses are violent. He's just playing on the irony of the situation of a person, who has just talked about the stigma people with mental illnesses face where they are seen as violent, actually going and doing what the stigma says they do. And the person in the sketch does (reportedly, I haven't seen it) talk about the stigma people with mental illnesses face before the punchline, so it's actually helpful to our cause in a way. The punchline is not meant, and will not be seen as, a reflection of the way people with mental illnesses actually act because it's just a joke.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 4:49 pm

:wall: Im just speechelss...

I'm fed up of saying how sucky this guy is... I'm going to say though that there is a heck of a lot of stigma around mental health. I am one of the one in 4 people who has suffered mental health problems. My mum has mental health problems. One of my aunties is schizophrenic. My aunty, however is a lovely person. She isn't on medication at the moment and she has a dedicated husband who cares for her 24/7. She, like most Schizophrenics is harmless. She does really weird things though and can be a danger to herself. The problem with joking about this though is that mental health awareness is still at a VERY delicate stage. If you ask the majority of people what they thought schizophrenia is, I would bet the first things they would say would be 'split personalities', 'violent' and 'hear voices'. The voices part would be correct (I believe... see even I don't know!) but to say that ALL schizophrenics are dangerous is wrong. People can be very cruel to the mentally ill...

Anyway, I've said my bit on mental health awareness. I'm going to crawl back into the whole I snuck out of today and pretend the world doesn't exist...

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 7:11 pm

Who's Frankie Boyle? I thought the thread was about Susan Boyle...looking manly, or something like that...yeah.

IndispensablePG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2010, 11:32 pm

He makes some jokes about a disabled son of a tabloid slapper. So what? He's a comedian. Watching his material isn't mandatory.

It's all right to take the piss out of him for being a bit of a paedo, but not okay for him to joke about sensitive issues? Don't watch his stuff. Simple.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 2:24 pm

IndispensablePG wrote:
He makes some jokes about a disabled son of a tabloid slapper. So what? He's a comedian. Watching his material isn't mandatory.

It's all right to take the piss out of him for being a bit of a paedo, but not okay for him to joke about sensitive issues? Don't watch his stuff. Simple.

Looking like a paedo. Not being one. I also called him a ginger twat.

IndispensablePG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2010, 10:43 am

Macbeth wrote:
IndispensablePG wrote:

Looking like a paedo. Not being one. I also called him a ginger twat.

Stop being such a hypocrite, you spanner. :roll:

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 11:15 am

Quote:

You think I actually watch his crap? I don't because I prefer to watch COMEDY rather than stupid old idiots who couldn't pull a funny joke out of his a-hole... I have only heard about this through the media.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 1:29 pm

frankie boyle actually used to work with mentally ill people. He does a bit about it that ive seen before. I strongly doubt he has a huge prejudice against mentally ill people. His comedy is about taking the piss out of stereotypes not reinforcing them. He also did a brilliant joke about the afghan war that i liked alot.