Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 2:45 pm

iSad

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 3:15 pm

R.I.P. I learned how to use computers with a Mac, and I've always preferred their interface to Windows.

You know what's awesome about this thread? No one has turned it into a "OMG DID HE HAVE ASPERGERS" thread.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 3:34 pm

Dear Fnord; your post? Perfect. Just perfect...Sylkat :thumleft:

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 5:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
iSad

iSad indeed :cry: can't believe it's yet another one of my heroes gone this year after Tim Hetherington, and so prematurely as well :-/

PM
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 6:46 pm

Apple's homepage tribute to it's founder

I applaud them for that.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 6:51 pm

Dear PM, thank you so much for sharing that with us. Sylkat

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 11:56 pm

aspiegirl2 wrote:
Kind of expecting something like this, but looks like the Westboro Baptist Church is going to be picketing Steve Jobs' funeral. I guess he did something right...

Steve Jobs' Funeral to be Picketed by Westboro Baptist Church

The article also says that WBC tweeted via their iPhone. How ironic! lol

RIP Steve Jobs; you were so dedicated and made so many people happy with the quality of your Apple products (aka the "fruit" of his labor lol).

This has me thinking...does Jay Leno still do the headlines? This sounds like one he would feature.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

I love my i pod and would not part with it for the world. It helps me exercise faster and longer because I have rhythm to keep pace with and I do not get bored so quickly. He brought a lot of good to the world.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 11:54 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
aspiegirl2 wrote:
Kind of expecting something like this, but looks like the Westboro Baptist Church is going to be picketing Steve Jobs' funeral. I guess he did something right...

Steve Jobs' Funeral to be Picketed by Westboro Baptist Church

The article also says that WBC tweeted via their iPhone. How ironic! lol

RIP Steve Jobs; you were so dedicated and made so many people happy with the quality of your Apple products (aka the "fruit" of his labor lol).

This has me thinking...does Jay Leno still do the headlines? This sounds like one he would feature.

I don't know if he still does the headlines (I haven't seen him on TV in awhile). He would feature something like this...maybe he'd say they should turn it into some type of lifetime achievement award to have your funeral picketed by WBC lol. It could be like the Nobel prize except funnier :)

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

I remember my brother had bought an Apple when I was growing up. Those were pretty big back then.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 2:22 am

why are you guys so upset at job's death? i'm sure as hell the workers in china dont give a damn. you know about his contract with foxconn right? the company where work conditions are so bad that there are nets outside the windows to prevent people from suiciding and where dont kill yourself was written into workers contracts? jobs was complicit in foxconns evil by having a contract with this company and maybe you guys should read more about them before hailing jobs as some sort of god just because he was a great inventor. and just to be clear im not saying everyone who owns apple equipment is evil. this stuff is scary. read it:

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/09/ ... onics.html

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

08 Oct 2011, 8:34 am

Fnord wrote:
iSad

isad too.
Also imad at westboro baptist church....wtf :evil:

willa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 10:20 am

"Real outpourings of public grief should be reserved for those people who lived life so heroically and selflessly that they stand as shining examples of love for all of humanity. People like, for example, the Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth, who—along with his family—was bombed, beaten, and stabbed during his years of principled activism in the US civil rights movement. Shuttlesworth died yesterday, the same day as Steve Jobs. He did not die a billionaire."

From a gawker article.
Have to agree, I respect the guy for what he did, but he needs to be recognized properly. He was a marketing genius, I mean mp3 players, tablet PCs, internet music stores and smart phones were all around years before apple stepped into those markets but like introducing the home PC to the everyday consumer in the 70s he knew how to market those products which before Apple were limited to niche markets. He made geek items cool for everyone to own.

But if you removed that from the equation and just looked at the person what do you have? A man who died a billionare without lifting a pen to write a check to charity, a man who lied and stole from friends, a man who refused to pay child support, even lying in court after paternity tests proved he was the father, a boss who had such nightmarish stories going around by people who couldn't stand to work for him that Apple began making all their employees sign non-disclosure contracts so they couldn't talk about Jobs after they quit. A man who backed and supported child labor.

I was talking about this earlier in the year and found it pretty amusing. At the end of the 90s everyone was all over Gates as an evil monopolizing money hog and how Apple was the opposite of that. Now-a-days? Gates has spent money on charity far faster then he ever made it and runs one of the largest charitable organizations the world has ever seen. While Jobs was adamantly avoided charity, paid police under the table to raid bloggers homes for talking about their products without their consent and backed child labor companies.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 10:26 am

Quote:
Steve Jobs dies at 56

it is a shame that he did not live to be 57.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 10:28 am

[img][800:597]http://i.imgur.com/ZrOZd.png[/img]

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2011, 12:01 pm

Nier wrote:
Sad news indeed :(

Read one of his speeches, some very salient wisdom in there...

Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech

In his commencement speech at Stanford University Steve Jobs wrote:
".........When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the late 1960's, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with typewriters, scissors, and Polaroid cameras. It was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great notions.

Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth Catalog, and then when it had run its course, they put out a final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age. On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Thank you all very much...."

Whole Earth Catalogs and publications can be found here: http://www.wholeearth.com/index.php

Later editions of the Whole Earth Catalog, CoEvolution Quarterly, and Whole Earth Review were made and published using Apple and Macintosh computers
running Desktop Publishing software.