Is it bad that I don't care about Issac or its victims?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 11:58 am

Seriously, I have virtually no sympathy or empathy about the people flooded out of their homes or the two or three people who died compared to all the people who did from Katrina. I am disgusted with the American media and their sensationalism. I don't know anyone personally from where the hurricane was at its worst. The strange thing is that I felt terrible when the Tsunami-earthquake hit Japan. I even worried for my aunt who is from Japan, and her parents and other relatives who are still living there. But then again my past posts have shown my lack of fondness for the US, so... :?

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2012, 12:08 pm

If you really don't care about all those people, because of your lack of fondness for the US as a country, then that does make you a pretty cold person in my opinion, but the media does over-sensationalize these things. It's pretty common for people to not have feelings towards people they don't know, but I would think most people including myself feel some kind of intellectual sympathy towards people who may have lost their property or even lost loved ones. The media cares about this because it's interesting though and not because of deaths. I'm okay with that I suppose, people watch the news to be entertained.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2012, 12:15 pm

Sounds like either compassion fatigue or news fatigue. I hope you're not a callous person.

Compassion fatigue comes from too many tragedies and crises. There's always some crisis going on somewhere, and after a while it's hard to even remember them all. After a while, you just burn out on being compassionate.

News fatigue comes from the 24/7 news cycle. There is always news somewhere being blown out of proportion to make it sensational, to the point where news is only newsworthy because the news media is covering it - the act of them covering it is what makes it important, because they are there covering it, not because of any importance of the event itself. (My local media goes across the street to a gas station to interview people about high gas prices, but ignores events elsewhere in town.)

DaBeef2112
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2012, 12:22 pm

Personally I find it hard to have genuine feelings for people I don't know. Sure I think it would be better if no one died or lost their homes. But I have no connection with any of them and thus my day continues as it always does. However if a friend or family member died I would be very upset.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ = 41 EQ = 9

Tiranasta
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm

I don't see how not experiencing negative feelings could ever be a bad thing (as long as you cognitively understand when you are expected to).

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 12:38 am

Is it just me or does it really seem that everytime some event occurs (like the theater shooting), a post surfaces asking if it's wrong/bad to not feel sorry for those who lost their lives? I personally don't know much about the hurricane because I don't watch TV often, nor do I use a radio.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

01 Sep 2012, 9:53 pm

Well maybe you think you dont know anyone in this flood, Inventor is there. He has been with WP for quite a while...I miss him, I hope he is OK.
regardless of number of people died, which is really amazing that more people did not die than they did. When the levee breached, people got an automatic phone call at the wee hours of morning and ran to the attic and waited to be rescued, without that phone call, we would have seen Katrina like death totals.

Regardless of the small number of those who actually died, you have alot of people suffering loss of their homes and livleyhoods. Inventor was in the final stages of getting all the equptment together to start his own publishing company, I hope all those printing machines he worked so hard on finding and fixing are not ruined. I just have to wait until I hear from him.

Jojo

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 10:55 am

CyborgUprising wrote:
Is it just me or does it really seem that everytime some event occurs (like the theater shooting), a post surfaces asking if it's wrong/bad to not feel sorry for those who lost their lives? I personally don't know much about the hurricane because I don't watch TV often, nor do I use a radio.

Don't be upset. Most people are unfeeling insensitive sods.

ruveyn

Lochiyoshi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Sep 2012, 8:21 am

When it comes to mother nature causing problems here is my thought.

Those people lived in a flood zone, if they didn't there wouldn't have been a levy built around them. They had a week advanced knowledge that a major storm which is producing lots of rain is headed your way. I would think, that would give people a clue to go way till the danger is over. But most people don't, (and they call us crazy) then they get in a situation that everyone knew was coming and either need rescue or die. At this point, should I feel sorry for them? I personally don't think so.

But as for the theater shootings, school shootings, or workplace shootings; those I feel very bad for. They were innocents, they had no fore knowledge this person was going to go on a rampage. That bothers me very much.

Earthquakes are the one thing that mother nature does that I feel bad for the people that die. yes you are on a fault line, but you could go for hundreds of years and get nothing then BAM! the earth opens up and eats you. Not too sportsman like.

That's my thought, does it make me cold?

You are very likely an Aspie.
Diagnosed at 35.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 9:45 am

Lochiyoshi wrote:

Earthquakes are the one thing that mother nature does that I feel bad for the people that die. yes you are on a fault line, but you could go for hundreds of years and get nothing then BAM! the earth opens up and eats you. Not too sportsman like.

Not at all. I simply will not knock on your door if I am seeking contributions to charity.

Just keep in mind that you are as likely or unlikely to be adversely affected by a natural disaster as anyone else. You might want to rethink you position of mutuality. If A is willing to give B and hand (if needed) and if B is willing to give A a hand (if needed) then you have the makings of an informal insurance system.

ruveyn

Lochiyoshi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Sep 2012, 9:54 am

ruveyn - I never said I didn't donate, I give to the red cross and donate lots of clothes to goodwill and the salvation army. I just said that people need to be aware of there surroundings. If I live in a flood plain I shouldn't be surprised if I flood, and I should have enough flood insurance.

I've lived in earthquake prone areas, never got an earthquake. I've lived in not earthquake prone areas and got an earthquake. Thankfully it was a little one and only damaged my front door. I've lived through hurricanes and tropical storms, also tornadoes and derechos, Snow storms. Wow actually never listed it like that. pretty impressive. But I've never had to ask for a handout. But I still give what I can to charities.

But thanks for the judgement.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

19 Sep 2012, 10:39 am

Lochiyoshi wrote:
When it comes to mother nature causing problems here is my thought.

Those people lived in a flood zone, if they didn't there wouldn't have been a levy built around them. They had a week advanced knowledge that a major storm which is producing lots of rain is headed your way. I would think, that would give people a clue to go way till the danger is over. But most people don't, (and they call us crazy) then they get in a situation that everyone knew was coming and either need rescue or die. At this point, should I feel sorry for them? I personally don't think so.

But as for the theater shootings, school shootings, or workplace shootings; those I feel very bad for. They were innocents, they had no fore knowledge this person was going to go on a rampage. That bothers me very much.

as far as hurricane evacuations go, most of the people who choose to stay behind do so because shelters dont allow pets and they dont want to leave their pets. For some people, their pets are their closest family and they dont have money for a pet friendly motel. This could be solved by alowing leashed and crated pets into shelters.
As far as living in disaster prone areas, no area is disaster free; earthquakes to the west coast and central US, wildfires in the western half of the US, Also there are 4 tornado alleys in the US spanning 16 states, floodplains exists just about anywhere there is a big river and alot of snowmelt and rain, then there are hurricane prone areas along the atlantic and gulf coasts, even the valleys of vermont were terribly flooded during hurricane Irene, then there are the big snowfall areas of the upper midwest and northeast which in some storms can produce 16 inches or more at least once every 5 years, and serious summer heatwaves in the southwest and southern midwest. There are very few places in the US that are not in these zones and all of the populations of the US cannot fit in these small areas.

Jojo

Lochiyoshi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2012, 10:44 am

I've gotta say. For being a forum that is soppose to be about openess and not be judgemental it is sorely lacking that.

All I mentioned was the forwarning of a hurricane, that people should head those warnings and go somewhere safe. Instead of staying where they know that bad things can happen and expect someone else to put their lives on the line to save theirs.

I did mention that the UNEXPECTED mother nature things are another story.

But maybe you didn't read that part.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 1:39 am

Lochiyoshi wrote:
I've gotta say. For being a forum that is soppose to be about openess and not be judgemental it is sorely lacking that.

All I mentioned was the forwarning of a hurricane, that people should head those warnings and go somewhere safe. Instead of staying where they know that bad things can happen and expect someone else to put their lives on the line to save theirs.

I did mention that the UNEXPECTED mother nature things are another story.

But maybe you didn't read that part.

I agree that I may have gotten carried away. I was not fully awake yet and have been known to punch my then boyfriend in my sleep when he tried to kiss me like some prince charming to wake me up. Sorry bout that. :oops:
but it is true that many people dont heed hurricane evacuation warnings because of their pets which is really an easy problem to solve. Even if they provide a temporary kennel shelter for the pets that is further inland or even a pet friendly shelter. For some people, their pets are all they have. I know if a huge hurricane was heading my way and I had to choose between leaving my pets and seeking shelter or riding out the storm to be with my 2 completely loyal dogs, I would chose the latter because they are helpless in a situation like this without me. I owe it to them for their loyalty to me. I certainly dont want someone dying to save me and my dogs, but this is not a huge problem that takes a team of brain surgeons to remedy. To some people, pets are family members, I know mine are.

Again, sorry about the verbal whiplash.

Jojo