Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:11 pm

see this please: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... vices.html

Now you know why I hate government as much as I do.

ruveyn

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:19 pm

I don't understand why she was not allowed to go to term.I thought c-sections were only done when a natural birth was not possible.Since she had family they should have been notified.
This is just ridiculous.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:29 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Well, I will quote you with your own words.

ruveyn wrote:
s**t Happens!

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:47 pm

...what.

Dynania
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2013, 9:56 pm

I am skeptical. The Telegraph is only news source reporting this. No Italian news outlet is reporting it and all the other places that have picked it up just point back to the Telegraph. It's as bad as the Daily Mail when it comes to reporting legit news - it doesn't.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 6:48 pm

If true, it's absolutely reprehensible. But I won't jump on the anti-government band wagon just yet till social services try s**t like this in America.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 7:22 pm

It's not like Social Workers in the UK have the power to go around ordering caesarean sections.

In this case, the almost full-term pregnant woman was detained under the Mental Health Act for five weeks, because she had had an acute psychotic breakdown caused by failing to take her meds for bipolar.

Essex County Council then began the process of deciding whether or not the child should remain with the mother (and whether the child would be at risk) and whether the mother could see the pregnancy full term without injuring herself or her child.

When they decided that this was not an acceptable risk to take, they applied to the High Court, which -- after carefully summing up all the evidence, pro and con -- issued a Court Order allowing Essex to take this action.

It hardly needs to be said that such cases are so rare as to be almost unheard-of. I don't think there has been a directly comparable case since the 1950s

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 8:33 am

This is unprecedented and has caused a lot of concern here. It's definitely not the norm. Having worked for social services in the UK, I can guarantee that this procedure (if it did happen), would not have been granted without various psychiatric reports, supporting the wishes of the social services dept. There was a court order and there must have been significant evidence supporting it too. Doing anything against a person's wishes is very difficult indeed, even if there is serious concerns for their mental health or the safety of a child.

We had service users (a mother and son with dementia and a learning disability) who were evicted from their property, solely because they were due benefits, but refused to claim them and we couldn't force them. A simple measure could have solved the problem, but they were deemed to be capable of making the decision on their own, even though it was obvious to everyone that their decision was detrimental to themselves.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 10:30 am

Not quite 'unprecedented'. I had a dim memory of a similar case occurring in the 1950s, but a bit of research has shown up a case that happened as recently as 1998!

http://www.sheilakitzinger.com/Articles ... pt1998.htm

If this summary is correct, Essex County Council could be in for some serious s**t over what it's done to this poor woman.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 3:47 pm

CharityFunDay wrote:
Not quite 'unprecedented'. I had a dim memory of a similar case occurring in the 1950s, but a bit of research has shown up a case that happened as recently as 1998!

http://www.sheilakitzinger.com/Articles ... pt1998.htm

If this summary is correct, Essex County Council could be in for some serious sh** over what it's done to this poor woman.
What about the judge and psychiatrists who agreed and allowed it to happen? And that's not to mention the doctor who carried out the c-section, when there were no physical medical grounds making it a necessity. I'm sure nobody was holding a gun to their head. Social services were the ones who requested it, but there are many more people involved in this, all with more power than them.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 3:53 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Well, I will quote you with your own words.

ruveyn wrote:
sh** Happens!

Mostly government sh**.

remember, government is the enemy. It has the guns and it has the will to deprive you of what is rightfully yours.

ruveyn

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 3:58 pm

ruveyn wrote:
remember, government is the enemy. It has the guns and it has the will to deprive you of what is rightfully yours.

I don't happen to share such an extreme belief position, but considering the numbers of Americans who evidently do, it never ceases to amaze me that the Republican Party has not been supplanted by a popular anarchist party.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 4:47 pm

I had two c-sections.And I still don't get why she had to be subjected to this if she could have delivered at term,it's safer for the baby and mom.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 5:54 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I had two c-sections.And I still don't get why she had to be subjected to this if she could have delivered at term,it's safer for the baby and mom.

Agreed. My daughter was a c section baby, and my wife and I made the decision for the caesarian with our baby doctor only after we learned the medical necessity for it. It was not a decision we made lightly.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 10:19 pm

CharityFunDay wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

I don't happen to share such an extreme belief position, but considering the numbers of Americans who evidently do, it never ceases to amaze me that the Republican Party has not been supplanted by a popular anarchist party.

Anarchism? That "cure" is worse than the disease. If we only had a functioning libertarian party.

It seems the American public likes receiving crumbs from the government. Too bad the government takes their loaf.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 1:29 am

ruveyn wrote:
CharityFunDay wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Anarchism? That "cure" is worse than the disease. If we only had a functioning libertarian party.

It seems the American public likes receiving crumbs from the government. Too bad the government takes their loaf.

ruveyn

Maybe because I don't have much of a loaf to take, but I don't really feel anything taken from me at all.