Dolores O’Riordan, Lead Singer of the Cranberries is dead

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 3:36 pm

NewvYork Times

Quote:
Dolores O’Riordan, the lead singer of the Irish rock band the Cranberries, has died in London. She was 46.

Her death was announced by her publicist, who did not specify the cause.

“Irish and international singer Dolores O’Riordan has died suddenly in London today,” Lindsey Holmes, the publicist, said in an emailed statement. Ms. O’Riordan had been in London for a recording session, it said.

Along with the brothers Noel Hogan (guitar), and Mike Hogan (bass), the band includes the drummer Fergal Lawler and has sold over 40 million albums. It is best known for its now-classic songs “Zombie,” and “Dreams,” as well as “Linger,” which remained on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart for 24 weeks, peaking at No. 8 in 1994

Four of the group’s albums reached the Top 20 on the Billboard 200 chart: “Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?,” “No Need to Argue,” “To the Faithful Departed” and “Bury the Hatchet.”

In an interview published in The Guardian last year, Ms. O’Riordan described how the band wrote “Linger,” its first song together. “I wrote about being rejected,” she said. “I never imagined that that it would become a big song.”

In 1996, Neil Strauss, a pop music critic for The New York Times, described Ms. O’Riordan as a performer who can “sing almost anything and make it seem musical”

last year, the group canceled dates on its European and North America tours due to Ms. O’Riordan’s ongoing back problems.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 4:10 pm

Her publicist said she "died suddenly." I'm assuming that means drug overdose vs. suicide or other.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 4:40 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Her publicist said she "died suddenly." I'm assuming that means drug overdose vs. suicide or other.

Because of her bad back it could be an overdose from a painkiller, or a heart attack or a blood clot conditions that are often caused by being sedentary or it could be something unrelated, all just speculation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 5:54 pm

awfully young yet. now she belongs to the ages, in heaven's helluva band. :dj:

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 9:50 pm

Found out yesterday. I don't usually pay much attention to celebrity news, but her passing has me pretty sad. I've been listening to their music exclusively for the past day or so now (maybe it's a weird form of grieving?). She was a true talent and will be missed. :(

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 1:25 am

LiberalJustice wrote:
Found out yesterday. I don't usually pay much attention to celebrity news, but her passing has me pretty sad. I've been listening to their music exclusively for the past day or so now (maybe it's a weird form of grieving?). She was a true talent and will be missed. :(

A pretty common way of grieving I think. I do it if an artist I am very fond of dies. Back when John Lennon was assassinated radio stations played only Beatles music for three or four days. Similar radio reaction although to a lesser degree when Prince died.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 1:37 am

our various societal troubadours keep us among the living, and when they pass, especially prematurely, they leave a big gap in our coping.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 1:57 am

I wasn't super familiar with all their music, but I definitely liked what I had heard. O'Riordan will be missed.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 2:16 am

This is the only song I am familiar with by them:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

mrshappyhands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2018, 2:33 am

That's sad. I grew up listening to them. :-( I hope it wasn't drug overdose, it's sad to see so many talented individuals die that way. Whatever the way, it is unfortunate. My heart goes out to her family.

Side note: It's only a matter of time before someone makes a Zombie joke. -_-

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 3:06 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Because of her bad back it could be an overdose from a painkiller, or a heart attack or a blood clot conditions that are often caused by being sedentary or it could be something unrelated, all just speculation.

Whenever a celebrity dies suddenly, I suspect too many prescription drugs like oxycontin were taken over time, like with Heath Ledger and Prince and so on.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 3:52 am

"Zombie" makes me think of PTSD.

"it's in your head ..." the zombie flashbacks of when you were hurt

"In your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie
What's in your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie, oh"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 9:49 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

The song was an anti war song.
Wikipedia

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 12:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Wikipedia

Your link doesn't say it's an "anti-war song".

"In your head" seems to indicate "war flashbacks/memories".

"Zombie" seems to indicate antagonism from "something that won't die" (memories that won't die)

So, PTSD , recurring flashbacks of the war.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 1:15 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Wikipedia

Your link doesn't say it's an "anti-war song".

"In your head" seems to indicate "war flashbacks/memories".

"Zombie" seems to indicate antagonism from "something that won't die" (memories that won't die)

So, PTSD , recurring flashbacks of the war.

Cranberries hit song 'Zombie' was inspired by true-story of IRA child murder and victim's father was completely unaware of it
Quote:
The dad of a young IRA bomb victim said he was “completely unaware” that the tragic story of his son inspired the Cranberries hit song ‘Zombie’.

Tim Parry, 12, was killed alongside three-year-old Jonathan Ball in an IRA bombing in Warrington in 1993.

The death were caused by two bombs which went off in quick succession at lunchtime.

One exploded outside Boots and McDonald's and the second outside an Argos.

The area was crowded with shoppers and witnesses said that shoppers fled from the first explosion into the path of the second.

It was later found that the bombs had been placed inside cast-iron litter bins, causing large amounts of shrapnel - 54 other people were injured, four of them seriously.

he father of one of the dead boys, Colin Parry appeared on BBC Good Morning Ulster to pay tribute to the Limerick singer and said he was touched by the lyrics after finding out they were about his 12-year-old son Tim .

Mr Parry said he was unaware that the hit song, released in 1994, was written in memory of the two young boys.

He said: “Only yesterday did I discover that her group, or she herself, had composed the song in memory of the event in Warrington.

“I was completely unaware what it was all about."

"they are fighting With their tanks, and their bombs And their bombs, and their guns" and "It's the same old theme
Since nineteen-sixteen" are referring to a then still ongoing conflict which the bombing was a part of.

IMHO "Zombie" and "in your head" are referring to the mindset of the bombers and those participating in that conflict unaware or not caring about the pain they are causing which would make it an anti war song.

If it relates to you as a PTSD song that is fine, art should be and will be interpreted by the listener based on their needs regardless of the original intent.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 7:13 pm

Gosh! Hardly knew of her. The one song I'm familiar with is "Linger" (which happens to be on a compilation album disc of various hits by various Irish bands I have), but I love her rich alto voice, and Irish brogue in that song.