UC San Diego got $4.7 million research med marijuana autism

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 12:00 pm

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/in-depth/medical-marijuana/art-20137855

Do your homework.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2018, 12:11 pm

Nope, that's a Clinic trying to sell a product. There is no research there. Don't be gullible. Like this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124674/

Last edited by nephets on 01 Jul 2018, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 12:13 pm

Mayo Clinic is among the most respected research hospitals in the world.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2018, 12:14 pm

The Mayo Clinic is a commercial organisation, trying to sell you a product.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 12:18 pm

Well unless they grow herb what are you talking about? They're a non profit cancer research organization mostly.
Link

traven
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 12:22 pm

a search for - CBD research - might help you out
one of the results: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22716160

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 12:37 pm

And please don't attack what you don't know.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2018, 1:22 pm

Lets try again. The Mayo clinic has products for sale on its website, therefore, it is a commercial organisation. This organisation, however, does not. This is a pretty good introductory guide: https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthi ... ealth.aspx The mention of various organisations to help addicts is probably a bit of a hint that taking a psychoactive drug in uncontrolled conditions may perhaps not be the best of ideas. Yes, that is sarcasm.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 1:36 pm

Are you saying they have Marijuana for sale? :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 1:50 pm

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/med ... 8011513085

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 2:11 pm

nephets: This thread is about CBD one of the cannabinoids as an isolated extract, it is not about cannabis use or consumption of THC, which is the psychoactive compound. Just start off with the basics, see below, you are arguing from a standpoint that no one else here is trying to discuss, so just spoiling a potentially useful and constructive conversation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2018, 2:37 pm

I see your point, Neilson, but my central point here is that trying to use an unproven, un-researched psychoactive substance to help with your mental health is likely to have the same effects as pouring petrol on a fire. The answer to mental ill-health is not going to be risking more mental ill-health. The arguments about the isolated compounds in the drugs people seem to want to try are a red-herring. None of this stuff is any more reputable than the original 'snake-oil' was. You will still find heavy drinkers who swear that alcohol helps them through the day. I don't believe them, either.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 2:50 pm

I can't help you, goodbye.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 7:58 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
Plenty of evidence available if you chose to do some research, your posts just show how uninformed you are.

neilson_wheels wrote:
I can't help you, goodbye.

A few months ago my 8-year-old son was learning a song about dreidels, it had a passage about "I have a little dreidel. I made it out of wood. I really like to spin it, but splinters are not good!" I asked him whether he knew what a "splinter" was, and he told me: "let me find out," went to the computer and typed the word into the search bar. I mean, even little kids know that the first thing to do is to do a search. Frankly, nowadays, searching is as easy ask talking to your smartphone.

There is a reason why my children's school district expanded STEM into STREAM: Science, Technology, RESEARCH, Engineering, ARTS, and Math. If you think about it, it totally makes sense.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 8:30 am

So you seriously believe a PLANT represents a private economic interest that's out to get me like the alcohol industry?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 9:35 pm

nephets wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
nephets wrote:
Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but I really don't think that following the current fad for suggesting that Cannabis can cure everything is the way to go. People said all the same things about nicotine, alcohol and just about every other mood altering substance. There are always people who want to block out reality and such people tend to be attracted to the stoner lifestyle.

Don't worry about raining on our parade. You don't present any facts, only opinions, so we'll disregard your post.

There is increasing evidence that CBD oil is very effective in reducing seizures in some children. The reason there is little evidence (other than anecdote) for other effects is because marijuana has been demonized as a "stoner" drug and it was not available to study. (Don't believe me? Check out 'Reefer Madness' on Youtube.)

Marijuana is a very ancient herbal remedy, so it is ripe for investigation. Overdue, you might say.

Anyway, since a lot of us have maxed out the offerings of commercial pharmacology and still have troubling symptoms, nothing is preventing us from doing an N=1 study on ourselves (self-experimentation).

No I haven't offered any facts, because there really is no evidence that Cannabinoids actually are any use for any illnesses, other than anecdotal. There is, however, quite a lot of good science suggesting that they do increase the risk of mental ill-health, particularly schizophrenia. I am wary of the Evangelical side of those pushing Cannabis. There are too many people who conflate something that makes you feel good, with useful medicine. I hope Cannabis helps with your symptoms, but if it does, it is very unlikely to be doing you any good, physically. I also have maxed out on the clinically researched, peer-reviewed medicine, but that does not make me lower my natural scepticism enough to make me think that an ancient drug, with a long history of turning people into morons, is going to help. The societies which used Cannabinoids were not exactly successful ones. They were and are primitive and chaotic. I have seen Reefer Madness and yes it is propaganda, but so is half the nonsense pushed by the 'medical marijuana' industry. Always follow the money and these people wish to make a lot of it. Perhaps modern medicine cannot cure us, but that does not mean that this sort of thing will. I would say, however, that Prozac does keep me alive and wards off anxiety and depression. Being sceptical of modern medicine is very much a First World luxury.

The FDA just approved Epidolex last week which is a CBD isolate for some severe forms of epilepsy. Synthetic forms of THC have been available as an FDA approved medication Marinol for decades for the treatment of chemo induced nausea vomitting. Sativex is an approved medicine in Canada and the UK for the treatment of MS and it is cannabis derived THC and CBD in a spray. There are over 22,000 studies on the medical uses of cannabis in existence so you are just choosing to be willfully ignorant.