Driver using van in Toronto kills 10 injures 15

Page 6 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 3:24 pm

Toronto van attacker seeks appeal for conviction of first-degree, attempted murder

Quote:
Alek Minassian filed a notice of appeal to Ontario’s top court this week.

In it, he argued, among other things, that the trial judge “misapprehended” expert evidence and made “unreasonable findings of fact” related to declining to find him not criminally responsible.

He requested in the notice of appeal that the appeal either be granted, that his convictions be quashed and that he be found not criminally responsible, or that the convictions be quashed and a new trial be ordered.

If a new trial is ordered and Minassian has a right to a trial by a judge and a jury, he requested that both be present — only Molloy presided over the van attack trial that wrapped up on June 13.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 5:12 pm

Were the people jaywalking or using the crosswalk? Either way, that was a horrible thing that the driver did.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 5:26 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Were the people jaywalking or using the crosswalk? Either way, that was a horrible thing that the driver did.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Van strikes pedestrians in Toronto, killing 10 and injuring 15
Quote:
"He just went on the sidewalk," a distraught Shaker said. "He just started hitting everybody, man. He hit every single person on the sidewalk. Anybody in his way he would hit."

No, they weren't jaywalking or using the crosswalk.
They were standing on the sidewalk when they were targeted by the terrorist.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 2:09 pm

a misapprehension of evidence... that would be if the judge found that "Witness X said Y" when in fact Witness X never said Y but said Z... and it has to be important to the reasoning supporting the decision. That this finding is essential to the reasoning.

Also, it is important to understand that the burden for NCR is upon the accused and that this be proved by a preponderance of evidence.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 2:10 pm

No one is suggesting that this was an accident.

Rather, they are claiming he is not criminally responsible because of insanity.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 2:14 pm

It is my own opinion, for all it's worth, that this person is not NCR. There are legitimate fears in autistic circles that this can cause misunderstandings and suggest that this creates dangerousness and in turn lead to ... controls or what not. I consider that autism can be legitimately considered in terms of defending against charges in certain cases, but ... it has to be accurate. I think there is a risk of taking things where they should not go.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 2:26 pm

They will either have to ban Vans or not let Incels get drivers licences. One or the other, Perhaps both.