Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 2:20 pm

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 2:28 pm

Man sets himself on fire outside courthouse where Trump trial is being held

Quote:
A man set himself on fire Friday outside the courthouse where former President Donald Trump's hush money trial is taking place.

The man was in the designated protest area outside. Police officers and officials ran toward him and someone used a fire extinguisher to try to put out the fire.

It appeared to happen around the time that the jury was fully empaneled — with 12 jurors and six alternates selected to sit for a trial that's expected to last about six weeks. It occurred around 1:50 p.m. ET just before the court took a lunch break.

According to the New York Police Department, an injured person was placed in an ambulance to be taken to a hospital. The NYPD said the fire is out.

Three law enforcement sources told NBC News that the man appears to have been a follower of some conspiracy theories and may have had emotional issues. He may have posted his intention to set himself on fire in advance, the sources said.

Moments after setting himself on fire, the man was lying on the ground, burning. At times, he appeared to seize. Police tried to use a small fire extinguisher to put the fire out, but were unsuccessful. While still on fire, the man tried to sit up. Police then used a large extinguisher to put out the fire.

A 73-year-old man from the Upper West Side, Dave, watched it happen. Dave said the person threw up a bundle of pamphlets, picked them up and threw them again.

David said he saw the man begin to douse himself in something before taking out a lighter.

“There I thought, this could be awful,” he said. “I’m old enough to remember the Vietnam War.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 4:42 pm

FXE beat me to it.  However . . .

"This extreme act of protest is to draw attention to an urgent and important discovery: We are victims of a totalitarian con, and our own government (along with many of their allies) is about to hit us with an apocalyptic fascist world coup," -- Attributed to Max Azzarello, who allegedly set themself on fire on Friday afternoon (2024-04-19) outside of former President Donald Trump's Manhattan criminal trial.

Read the Complete and Unedited Story  HERE 

[opinion=mine]

If the quote has proper attribution, then I believe Mr. Azzarello''s warning was late by over 1565 days.

He is likely just another whack-job prognosticator whose research involved "connecting the dots" and "seeing the signs" on Instagram, Tik-Tok, Truth Social, YouTube, and various other on-line "resources".

[/opinion]

I do hope he recovers, though.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 2:19 am

Quote:
Man who lit himself on fire outside of the courthouse has died, law enforcement official says

From CNN's John Miller

The man who lit himself on fire outside of the Manhattan courthouse where Donald Trump’s trial was taking place died Friday night, a senior law enforcement official told CNN.

NYPD Chief of Department Jeffrey B. Maddrey said earlier that the man walked into the center of Collect Pond Park, which is directly across from the courthouse.

He opened his backpack and took out pamphlets that he scattered in the park before setting himself on fire.

The man was taken to Cornell Burn Center earlier in critical condition.  Police had said they thought it was not likely that he would survive.
 ^LINK 

Also . . .

Quote:
A LinkedIn profile that appears to be Azzarello identifies him as a self-employed research investigator who attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill from 2005 and 2009, and later attended Rutgers University from 2010 to 2012, receiving a Master's in City and Regional Planning.

According to the profile, Azzarello held a number of positions at various businesses, including working on two Democratic congressional campaigns, since his graduation. He most recently worked at OpenTent from December 2020 to October 2021, according to the profile.

His LinkedIn profile reads that he "fell into a rabbit hole and learned all the secrets of the world" after Silicon Valley Bank collapsed last year and that he believes "cryptocurrency is our first planetary multi-trillion dollar Ponzi scheme."
 ^LINK 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 7:29 am

Post retracted

Last edited by blitzkrieg on 20 Apr 2024, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 10:17 am

Yeah people dying after burning themselves alive is sooo funny. :roll:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 10:34 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

Ah, sorry RDF.

I sometimes have a dark sense of humour - I realize that might have been insensitive in this case.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 10:47 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

Ah, sorry RDF.

I sometimes have a dark sense of humour - I realize that might have been insensitive in this case.

It's ok. At least you did apologize. :heart: I'm so used to people online being snippy with me for trying to have empathy... :oops:

But yeah I think it's really tragic that there are people who are literally this crazy over Trump. Crazy enough to give him all their money or even put themselves in harm's way.

I rememember watching a documentary about the cult ran by Jim Jones and this is exactly what the Trumpism movement makes me think of.

The people who survived the horrors of that cult were interviewed and you could tell they had remourse. I wish people in Trump's cult could be helped, but how can you help deprogram what has become a national movement? I mean for the Nazis in Germany it took a world war and having their country literally torn in half for the Germans to come to their senses.

I don't want that for my country or any other country. :(

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 11:16 am

^ I don't blame you for not wanting that for your country.

Indeed, Trump seems to have dangerous ambitions and tendencies.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 12:36 pm

I read that the man died later, and he clearly had mental health issues.

It takes a special kind of suicidal to deliberately set yourself on fire. That is not a pleasant way to die. And if you do survive it's going to feel like you're dying, even first degree burns are really painful.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 2:16 pm

Ironically him saying that crypto is "a planet wide trillion dollar ponzi scheme" makes him look like...the rare SANE person on the planet!

The rest of us either tolerate crypto, or are involved in it. Which makes the rest of us look like the lunatics!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 5:18 pm

I don't really know anything about crypto. Except that it sounds like it can be used to weaken Superman. Or is that the name of his dog?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 7:22 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't really know anything about crypto. Except that it sounds like it can be used to weaken Superman. Or is that the name of his dog?

I hope that you are aware that "crypto" is short for "crytocurrency".

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 8:50 pm

Here is his manifesto: I have set myself on fire outside the Trump Trial.

And here is his LinkedIn page: Max Azzarello

Definitely troubled but I don't see anything psychotic is his manifesto.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 11:16 pm

CarlM wrote:
Definitely troubled but I don't see anything psychotic is his manifesto.
No need to look to his long, rambling, and generally incoherent 'manifesto' for evidence of delusional thinking (although doing so will result in drawing that same inescapable conclusion).  One need only consider the actions he took to "draw attention to an urgent and important discovery" -- they were not the actions of a rational mind.

By the way, in this context -- and the context of every other conspiracy theory -- the term "investigative researcher" means someone who spends most of their free time browsing the Internet for 'evidence' to support the conclusions they have already made (in this particular case, the person also seems to have spent a lot of time watching Seinfeld and The Simpsons).  A lot of "cherry-picking" and "connecting the dots" goes into this activity, and very little (if any) actual research is involved.

It is very sad that he thought his own death by self-immolation would make a difference.  Sadder still that he carried out his plan.

I hope he has found peace at last, and that his family can live with what he did.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 2:33 am

And it seems The Simpsons fit in his conspiracy theory, too. This would be funny, had the man who dreamt this all up hadn't set himself on fire to commit suicide:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-set-hims ... 18508.html