Israel severs ties with UN Human Rights Council

Page 2 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 3:30 pm

So if one country isn't overseen correctly, then that gives all countries the right to do whatever they want behind closed doors?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 4:30 pm

snapcap wrote:
So if one country isn't overseen correctly, then that gives all countries the right to do whatever they want behind closed doors?

No, but what the current situation does do is cause the UN Human Rights Council to lose credibility on every single decision it makes.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 4:36 pm

visagrunt wrote:
The UN has an abyssmal track record on Human Rights.

The UN Commission on Human Rights was so populated with Human Rights abusers and was so politicized that even the General Assembly finally had to throw its collective hands in the air and abolish the thing.

With such leading lights as: Burkina Faso, China, Congo (Rep), Cuba, Ethiopia, Eretria, Gabon, Guinea, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia, Saudi, Sudan (Sudan?!?), Swaziland, Togo and Zimbabwe, fully 16 of its 48 members were "Authoritarian regimes" on The Economist's Democracy Index. And that doesn't even count the "Hybrid regimes" like Armenia, Ecuador, Egypt, Guatemala, Honduras, Kenya, Maruentania, Nepal, Pakistan and Ukraine.

Well, now that the GA has taken the issue out of the hands of ECOSOC and created the UN Human Rights Council, the situation has improved, right?

Well, Angola, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, China, Congo, Cuba, Djibouti, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia and Saudi Arabia are there (or still there), so 14 out of 47 seats are held by authoritarian regimes. And there's another 7 hybrids out there. Less than half, but still a hefty number of nations that have no interest in having the lens turned upon their own human rights records, and so are content to use Israel as a scapegoat.

Almost half of the Council's resolutions have been specific to Israel. And despite situations like Darfur, Israel has been the only country to have been condemned by the Council.

The UNO and her agencies have zero credibility when it comes to the promotion of human rights and democratic development. The policy cupboard is bare, and the lunatics are running the asylum. Why should Israel consent to participate in a process whose only goal is, yet again, her own condemnation?

Well said that man. :D

I tip my imaginary hat to you, sir. :)

(Don't worry, I won't make a habit of saying that.) ;)

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm

Oh my, Israel worried that more people might find out how terrible they really? Just blow the damn country up already.

You will reap what you've sown.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 7:09 pm

"If they can do it, so can we"

That's what I'm hearing.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

I don't blame Israel for getting out of the UNHRC or anything else U.N.
Their location in the world, the middle east if you haven't noticed, isn't real big on human rights in the first place. If they have to take the gloves off to deal with the people that would exterminate them all at the first opportunity then so be it.
You do what you have to do, plain and simple.

If I had it my way the U.S. would be out of the U.N. and the U.N. would be out of the U.S.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

The UN needs a massive overhaul to say the least, but as it stands now it does have a measure of power.

If the US left the UN, it would *help* the UN< seeing how America has a veto.... something that no country should have. Ever.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm

abacacus wrote:
The UN needs a massive overhaul to say the least, but as it stands now it does have a measure of power.

If the US left the UN, it would *help* the UN< seeing how America has a veto.... something that no country should have. Ever.

The U.N. wouldn't have nearly as much money, either.....
I can see your concern about power in the UN since the U.S. contributes 22% of the money and Canada only 3.2%. Who should have the most power, Sri Lanka?
:roll:

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 10:54 pm

abacacus wrote:

No country should have veto power in the UN, it defies the point of having the UN. Otherwise it's hardly going to be fair, particularly when voting on questionable subjects.

Last edited by Kjas on 29 Mar 2012, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 12:22 am

visagrunt wrote:
The UN has an abyssmal track record on Human Rights.

The UN Commission on Human Rights was so populated with Human Rights abusers and was so politicized that even the General Assembly finally had to throw its collective hands in the air and abolish the thing.

With such leading lights as: Burkina Faso, China, Congo (Rep), Cuba, Ethiopia, Eretria, Gabon, Guinea, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia, Saudi, Sudan (Sudan?!?), Swaziland, Togo and Zimbabwe, fully 16 of its 48 members were "Authoritarian regimes" on The Economist's Democracy Index. And that doesn't even count the "Hybrid regimes" like Armenia, Ecuador, Egypt, Guatemala, Honduras, Kenya, Maruentania, Nepal, Pakistan and Ukraine.

Well, now that the GA has taken the issue out of the hands of ECOSOC and created the UN Human Rights Council, the situation has improved, right?

Well, Angola, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, China, Congo, Cuba, Djibouti, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia and Saudi Arabia are there (or still there), so 14 out of 47 seats are held by authoritarian regimes. And there's another 7 hybrids out there. Less than half, but still a hefty number of nations that have no interest in having the lens turned upon their own human rights records, and so are content to use Israel as a scapegoat.

Almost half of the Council's resolutions have been specific to Israel. And despite situations like Darfur, Israel has been the only country to have been condemned by the Council.

The UNO and her agencies have zero credibility when it comes to the promotion of human rights and democratic development. The policy cupboard is bare, and the lunatics are running the asylum. Why should Israel consent to participate in a process whose only goal is, yet again, her own condemnation?

I was going to comment, but you have this pretty well bottled up! :)

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 12:35 am

Raptor wrote:

I can see your concern about power in the UN since the U.S. contributes 22% of the money and Canada only 3.2%. Who should have the most power, Sri Lanka?

If you support the US having a veto then lets try a little thought experiment shall we? Lets say a Democrat in the U.S. Congress had the power to veto whatever he wanted (hypothetical mind you, don't just dismiss this as impossible and not even think about it). Wouldn't you be screaming and kicking that he shouldn't have that power every time he shot down a bill?

No democratic organization should *ever* have vetoes involved. Period, end of story. It doesn't matter how much money you put in.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 12:52 am

abacacus wrote:
Raptor wrote:

If you support the US having a veto then lets try a little thought experiment shall we? Lets say a Democrat in the U.S. Congress had the power to veto whatever he wanted (hypothetical mind you, don't just dismiss this as impossible and not even think about it). Wouldn't you be screaming and kicking that he shouldn't have that power every time he shot down a bill?

No democratic organization should *ever* have vetoes involved. Period, end of story. It doesn't matter how much money you put in.

Agreed.

What troubles me is that some people believe that because they have donated money, that automatically entitles them to more control. Donations should be made because you believe in the organisation and the work it does, not so you can have more control over the organisation so you can use it for your own purposes.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 1:38 am

abacacus wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Under ideal circumstances there should be no veto power but frankly, the US veto is currently the only thing keeping it fair. Riddle me this, how can the UNHRC perform it's intended function if nearly half of it's members are human rights abusers themselves and have no interest in human rights?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 1:47 am

Jono wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well Israel has been above human rights anyways, I mean they get a free pass to kill Palestinians whenever they want what do they need to be part of the human rights council so this isn't surprising. I still think both sides need to get over themselves and hold hands or something, but I am sure both sides would try to kill me if I threw this thought at them.

And according to almost every UN resolution that tried to pass, Hamas has a free pass to fire rockets into Israeli civilian areas without consequence, despite being confirmed in fact finding missions too.

Then how do you explain all the raids on the palestinians? I figured that was their punishment...the thing that bothers me about that is all the people that aren't part of Hamas who have to suffer or be killed because Israels complete disregard for civilians.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 1:49 am

Raptor wrote:
I don't blame Israel for getting out of the UNHRC or anything else U.N.
Their location in the world, the middle east if you haven't noticed, isn't real big on human rights in the first place. If they have to take the gloves off to deal with the people that would exterminate them all at the first opportunity then so be it.
You do what you have to do, plain and simple.

If I had it my way the U.S. would be out of the U.N. and the U.N. would be out of the U.S.

Well crap they better exterminate all the non-jews as a preventative measure, then again that might make them look like nazis which would be ironic.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 2:03 am

I agree with the general vibe that the HRC is laughably compromised. I can't take it seriously ever since that fiasco about defamation of religion.

But people shouldn't be too quick to judge the UN as irrelevant. If the UN doesn't like what you're doing, it's generally a bad sign. Remember the last time the "good guys" leapt into action without listening to the UN? Remember how the allied countries that spoke out against the plan, like New Zealand and France, were branded traitors and cowards? Yeah, I remember that too. Turned out well, didn't it?

Last edited by Declension on 29 Mar 2012, 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.