Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 5:56 pm

Maybe the climate where you are has not changed that much, combined with a very regional view of crop production too.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:03 pm

eric76 wrote:
Huh? The climate today hardly looks any different from fifty years ago.

Try to say that to a inuit.

eric76 wrote:
A runaway greenhouse effect is sheer imagination. There is no reason to think that it is at all possible.

It's not sheer imagination... The warmer temperature bring effects that contribute to warm it more. It's a feedback effect. Never heard of the methane bomb?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:49 pm

I'm fully aware of feedback. But the reality is that in Global Warming, we would see a new equilibrium established at a higher average temperature. There will be no runaway greenhouse effect.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 9:19 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliocene_climate
More or less the same continental shapes, but a equilibrium at 400 ppm. Sea level was 25 meters higher than today, at temperatures we likelly reach during this century.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 9:28 pm

There's that panic again.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 9:29 pm

The range over recent periods, + - 5 Degrees.

That is world wide, and the tropics do not change. Most of the change is toward the poles, and the 107 in Nashville last year is more than ten degrees warmer than normal, Nashville was hotter than New Orleans.

The number of days over a hundred has increased through the mid section of the country.

So far, the whole of industrial is said to be 1.8 degrees, over a hundred and fifty years. That is world wide again, the arctic has warmed more, where the permafrost is melting and releasing Methane.

It will not be a new stability, a few degrees higher over a hundred years, it will happen quickly, and fuel dynamic weather.

Our hundred degree band near matches the drought, and warmer air will take up more water from the soil, and when cool weather returns, rains that come as floods, or later as deep snow.

Energy in will come out somewhere, Ten inches of rain in a day does happen, convert that to snow, it is ten foot. Blanketed across the north, it would bring most things to a stop.

A warmer world with more water vapor will still have winter, and slight cooling the vapor holding declines, and water falls in one form or another.

A more dynamic system, stronger storms driven by heat, and baseball sized hail, deep snow, ice storms, as the winter cools the air.

Our cities are not designed for that much drainage, nor are the roofs designed to hold ten foot of snow.

Lately snow comes early and late, shortening the growing season, which is also the drought season.

Drought resistant does not mean waterless, and without the summer rains, nothing will grow.

It is a very narrow band where clouds form and rain falls, or the sun robs moisture from the fields. Heat stresses crops, hundred degree days do not produce growth. Plants wilt and try to stop and preserve moisture, and avoid dying.

I think the trend is toward shorter, warmer, dryer, growing seasons.

Also fields that made a crop year after year failed last year.

It will not be a smooth ride.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 10:15 pm

From the New York Times, hardly a major anti-Global Warming source, http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/04/much-ado-about-methane/:

Quote:
Here’s one excerpt and a link to the rest of the piece, which concludes, as many climate scientists do, that CO2, not CH4, remains the key target if the goal is limiting disruptive greenhouse warming:
Quote:
The possibility of a catastrophic release is of course what gives methane its power over the imagination (of journalists in particular it seems). A submarine landslide might release a Gigaton of carbon as methane (Archer, 2007), but the radiative effect of that would be small, about equal in magnitude (but opposite in sign) to the radiative forcing from a volcanic eruption. Detectable perhaps but probably not the end of humankind as a species.

What could happen to methane in the Arctic?

The methane bubbles coming from the Siberian shelf are part of a system that takes centuries to respond to changes in temperature. The methane from the Arctic lakes is also potentially part of a new, enhanced, chronic methane release to the atmosphere. Neither of them could release a catastrophic amount of methane (hundreds of Gtons) within a short time frame (a few years or less). There isn’t some huge bubble of methane waiting to erupt as soon as its roof melts.

And so far, the sources of methane from high latitudes are small, relative to the big player, which is wetlands in warmer climes. It is very difficult to know whether the bubbles are a brand-new methane source caused by global warming, or a response to warming that has happened over the past 100 years, or whether plumes like this happen all the time. In any event, it doesn’t matter very much unless they get 10 or 100 times larger, because high-latitude sources are small compared to the tropics.

And from http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/leaders-of-arctic-methane-project-clarify-climate-concerns/:
Quote:
We would first note that we have never stated that the reason for the currently observed methane emissions were due to recent climate change. In fact, we explained in detail the mechanism of subsea permafrost destabilization as a result of inundation with seawater thousands of years ago. We have been working in this scientific field and this region for a decade. We understand its complexity more than anyone.

bookwyrm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2013, 4:09 pm

eric76 wrote:

Oh dear, someone is in denial!

Actually panicing would be the rational thing to do. Instead most people bury their heads in the sand and deny deny deny or at least really really hope the deniers are right after all.

Here to hoping. I try I really try.

But I'm not a gullible soul, sadly.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 4:29 pm

I gave up on being concerned about climate change when I decided there was no way I would have children.

I still find it hard to understand the mentality of deniers with loved ones that will inherit this mess.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 8:43 pm

bookwyrm wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Oh dear, someone is in denial!

Actually panicing would be the rational thing to do. Instead most people bury their heads in the sand and deny deny deny or at least really really hope the deniers are right after all.

Here to hoping. I try I really try.

But I'm not a gullible soul, sadly.

I don't deny Global Warming. I'm strongly in favor of Global Warming.

And panic is only rational when the best choice of actions is to "run in circles, screem and shout".

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 9:43 pm

Unintended events kept me from participating further in this thread. Sorry

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 11:37 am

http://skinseller.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0 ... epoch.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vvo_Sik510[/youtube]

reasoning." --William Blake

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 1:46 pm

eric76 wrote:
In general, plants grow better in the warmth. It means less starvation. People have enough to eat.

In contrast, cold means poorer crops. It means starvations. People would be too busy scrambling to find enough to eat to have time for much else.

That would actually be a much bigger disaster. There's already an overpopulation of humans. Maybe scrambling to find enough to eat might be a good thing in a way. Not much time for much else.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 1:51 pm

persian85033 wrote:
eric76 wrote:
In general, plants grow better in the warmth. It means less starvation. People have enough to eat.

In contrast, cold means poorer crops. It means starvations. People would be too busy scrambling to find enough to eat to have time for much else.

That would actually be a much bigger disaster. There's already an overpopulation of humans. Maybe scrambling to find enough to eat might be a good thing in a way. Not much time for much else.

On the other hand, more people may mean more chances to get laid!

:)

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 7:32 pm

Methane will add to it, but the CO2 is man made.

Cutting all the forests, clearing the land, plowing, did a lot to change the climate.

Paving everything, shopping malls, endless new houses for the spawn of hairless ground apes, had a very strong heat island effect.

It is kind of like going on a crime spree, rape and murder while robbing, then blaming it all on there being gas in the car. Oh! If only there had been less gas in the car!

Destruction of CO2 sinks is a larger problem, and the forests that did lead to the 1% of water that is fresh that falls on the land. Heat islands are no ones friend. Plowing every acre as an extractive industry robs the soil of stored moisture, till the dust bowl returns.

We have been mining water deposited during the last ice age. In the southwest it is almost gone. From mid Texas to Arizona was grassland 150 years ago, and it was not industry that turned it to desert.

All of these dumb problems were caused by apes. Ape reduction is the only cure. Since they will never do it on their own, Nature will.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 8:02 pm

Inventor wrote:
Methane will add to it, but the CO2 is man made.

There are many natural sources of CO2 such as volcanos. If it were only man-made, there would have been no CO2 prior to the existence of mankind and this planet would be a ball of ice and snow on which life would have been very unlikely to ever exist.

Quote:
Cutting all the forests, clearing the land, plowing, did a lot to change the climate.

I wasn't aware that we have cut all the forests and cleared all the land. Of course, in parts of Texas it might appear that way.

That reminds me of a story about when Texas first created the position of State Forester and hired someone for the job.

The wife of the new State Forester was traveling by train to their new home where they would be living. On the train, she was talking to several people and someone asked what her husband does.

She replied, "He's the new Texas State Forester".

One man on the train looks out the window at the prairie and says, "The last thing we need is a State Forester."

He then looks out the window again and says, "Or maybe we need a State Forester really bad."

Quote:
Paving everything, shopping malls, endless new houses for the spawn of hairless ground apes, had a very strong heat island effect.

That doesn't create the climate. The effects are local.

Quote:
It is kind of like going on a crime spree, rape and murder while robbing, then blaming it all on there being gas in the car. Oh! If only there had been less gas in the car!

That really doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Destruction of CO2 sinks is a larger problem, and the forests that did lead to the 1% of water that is fresh that falls on the land.

That doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Heat islands are no ones friend.

Actually, in the winter time, a heat island effect can be everyone's friend.

Quote:
Plowing every acre as an extractive industry robs the soil of stored moisture, till the dust bowl returns.

Have we plowed every acre?

In any event, many farmers today do very little plowing. It's not unusual to plant crops without plowing it at all since the previous harvest. Search for the term "no-till farming".

Quote:
We have been mining water deposited during the last ice age. In the southwest it is almost gone. From mid Texas to Arizona was grassland 150 years ago, and it was not industry that turned it to desert.

Many aquifers refresh fairly easily. Others are very slow. Where I live, water is being removed for irrigation substantially faster than the replenishment rate.

Desert? There is certainly desert out there, but to say that it is desert from mid Texas to Arizona is absurd.

Quote:
All of these dumb problems were caused by apes. Ape reduction is the only cure. Since they will never do it on their own, Nature will.

I'm often of the opinion that the worst apes are those that live in the big cities.