Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 4:12 pm

doing ANYTHING one doesn't strictly have to do, while simultaneously being a parent, is irresponsible. nobody has to do dangerous things like sky dive or hot dog ski or such. that should be saved for when the kids are grown at least.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 5:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
doing ANYTHING one doesn't strictly have to do, while simultaneously being a parent, is irresponsible. nobody has to do dangerous things like sky dive or hot dog ski or such. that should be saved for when the kids are grown at least.

Speaking as a father myself, I must say, you are absolutely right. Selfish behavior is more often than not irresponsible.

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2014, 5:24 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAgjkBz7g5E[/youtube]

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm

but some of us hurtle with more style than others, while still others chomp at the bit and rush things beyond their natural pace.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 9:15 am

Dox47 wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
There are very few things as dangerous as heroin. Even experienced users can die from a minor variation in set or setting.

You only chase the dragon until he's ready to eat you.

RIP PSH.

It wouldn't be as dangerous if it were legal and available in a consistent form, but my point was more that if he'd died in a parachuting accident or while cave diving or piloting a small aircraft, you wouldn't be seeing this judgment being heaped on him. Lots of people do dangerous things for the rush, we've just been conditioned to think of some rushes as exciting and others as amoral.

Well, I'll agree that it is not reasonable to pass moral judgement on someone suffering from a disease, and I think Hoffman was.

However, I still maintain that heroin is far too dangerous and mercurial to be used recreationally.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 7:22 pm

I remember him as Dusty from Twister and Heavensbee in Catching Fire.
RIP Hoffman.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 6:56 pm

He stole an entire movie from Ben Stiller and Jennifer Anniston with one line....

He WAS any and every character he portrayed.

He did love his children, and never wanted to hurt them or leave them.

To me, there can be no blame for their mother, who had to make the decision she did, to separate from him,due to his drug use.

Any life lost to drugs is the end of a tragic downward spiral....the loss of someone who was given a unique gift is a loss to all of us, since his gift, like Beethoven, Gielgud, Michelangelo, Pavarotti, exists to be shared with the world.

Picking up the needle is picking up a burden you will never be free from.

Perhaps his death wil (or has) wake someone up, scare someone into seeking help, or cause even one person to decide that no recreational chemical is worth the cost of a life.

I hope that he knows how much happiness he brought to so many people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 7:10 pm

if only he could have finished his life in good time rather than in such a hurry.