Page 6 of 27 [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 5:58 am

In a shift, US Jewish lawmakers ramp up criticism of Israel’s war on Hamas in Gaza

Quote:
In the span of two days, one Jewish lawmaker became the first to call on Israel to ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, another called the Palestinian death toll in the Israel-Hamas war “unacceptable,” and a third said suffering in Gaza was a “moral failure.”

On Wednesday, Sen. Jon Ossoff, who has been a consensus-seeking voice on Israel within the Democratic party and who has carefully avoided overly criticizing the Jewish state since entering Congress in 2021, issued a blistering critique of the IDF’s ongoing military operation against Hamas in Gaza.

“The extent of civilian death and suffering in Gaza is unnecessary. It is a moral failure, and it should be unacceptable to the United States,” Ossoff said in a speech from the Senate floor on Wednesday

While Ossoff had hitherto been critical of certain Israeli policies in the West Bank, he had tapered that criticism and relied heavily on talking points regarding the importance of a two-state solution while working to build relationships with several key Israeli lawmakers. He has led efforts in Congress to back largely consensus initiatives such as boosting funding for the US Security Coordinator in Jerusalem and encouraging an independent investigation into the killing of Palestinian-American journalist Shireen Abu Akleh.

Since October 7, the 35 Jews in the US House of Representatives and in the Senate — all but two of them Democrats — have been among the most stalwart in defending Israel since Hamas’s massacres that day that launched the war.

Last month, three Jewish lawmakers, including two progressives, spearheaded a letter from more than half of House Democrats supporting Biden’s robust backing for Israel. All 24 Jewish Democrats in the House signed it.

Now — as the war enters its sixth week, the Palestinian death toll rises and the humanitarian crisis intensifies — anguished expressions of dissent from Reps. Becca Balint of Vermont and Dean Phillips of Minnesota, and Ossoff in Georgia, suggest that wall of support might be crumbling.

Phillips, Ossoff and Balint each said that the massacres Hamas carried out, killing 1,200 people and taking some 240 captive, recalled the horrors of the Holocaust. “These events call to mind the Einsatzgruppen SS, the Nazi death squads who hunted and massacred our relatives across Eastern Europe 80 years ago,” Ossoff said on the Senate floor.

But they said they have been haunted by the subsequent carnage, in which the Hamas-controlled Gaza Health Ministry has said that more than 11,000 Palestinians have died, including thousands of children.

On Thursday, Balint became the first Jewish member of Congress to endorse a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war.

“What is needed right now is an immediate break in violence to allow for a true negotiated ceasefire,” she said in an op-ed for VTigger, a Vermont news site. “One in which both sides stop the bloodshed, allow critical access to humanitarian aid and move towards negotiating a sustainable and lasting peace.”

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a New York Democrat who is a leader of the “Squad,” the most left-wing faction in the House, immediately seized upon Balint’s support, noting her Jewish identity.

Balint also said in her op-ed that a condition of a ceasefire must be the removal of Hamas from power — which is Israel’s objective in the war.

Ocasio-Cortez’s letter, which got 24 signatures, makes no such condition.

Later in the day, Ossoff took to the Senate floor to excoriate Israel’s conduct. He did not call for a ceasefire — he said Israel must pursue Hamas. But he was unstinting in his criticism of Israel’s conduct of the war and its resistance to Biden Administration pleas to allow in humanitarian assistance.

On Friday, Phillips, who is mounting a long-shot primary challenge to Biden and is known for his moderate positions, released a statement outlining his vision for a way out of the war that did not spare Israel or its leadership. He too called on Israel to dismantle Hamas’ fighting capacity.

“Israel has every right and expectation to target Hamas terrorists and dismantle their capability of destroying the state of Israel,” he said. “But that response has taken an unacceptable toll on Palestinians, many of whom are subject to Hamas terror — not supporters of it.”

He took aim in particular at Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who he said had “exacerbated” policies of “repression and illegal settlement on Palestinian lands.” He said Israelis should hold elections soon. Netanyahu also has low approval ratings within Israel.

Phillips presented a five-point plan to create a “future of peace.” The document was notable considering Phillips has been a leader in Congress in terms of calling out fellow Democrats for Israel criticism that he believed was antisemitic.

Until now the only Jewish Democrat forcefully criticizing Israel’s response has been Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, the unofficial leader of congressional progressives. But he has refused to call for a ceasefire and has distanced himself from fellow progressive who do.

The shifts by Jewish lawmakers comes amid accelerating volleys of sentiment by people in and close to the US government. Hundreds of Biden administration staffers have signed statements criticizing the administration’s handling of the Israel-Hamas war and calling for Biden to do more to support the Palestinians, The New York Times reported this week.

Also this week, more than 100 former staffers for Barack Obama issued a letter praising Biden’s “moral clarity” for backing Israel and endorsing his request for a $14 billion emergency assistance package to Israel

University of Alberta fires Sexual Assault Centre head who signed letter calling Hamas rape reports 'unverified accusation'
Quote:
The University of Alberta says it has fired the director of its campus sexual assault centre after she signed an open letter calling reports of sexual violence during Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack on Israel an “unverified accusation.”

University president Bill Flanagan issued a statement Saturday afternoon, saying that “effectively immediately,” the director of the U of A Sexual Assault Centre “is no longer employed by the university.”

The centre and its director, Samantha Pearson, were listed as signatories to a petition from Ontario MPP Sarah Jama and Victoria Coun. Susan Kim, which called on MPs who support a humanitarian cease fire in Gaza to resign in protest.

The letter took particular issue with NDP leader Jagmeet Singh, who it said “repeated the unverified accusation that Palestinians were guilty of sexual violence.”

The Jewish Federation of Edmonton quickly condemned the use of the term “unverified accusation.”

“Samantha Pearson, @ualbertasac director, and the @ualbertasac have signed a letter alleging that Israelis were not raped or sexually assaulted by #Hamas terrorists on Oct. 7,” it wrote in a social media post. “Shouldn’t a sexual assault centre believe all victims, and not just the non-Jewish ones?”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 9:14 am

I had thought Jagmeet represented Canada's version of the mainstream Left, so I find it ironically amusing to see him accused of sympathizing with Israel.

As for whether Jewish rape victims ought to be believed, I suppose it might matter if you've been raised to believe the Jews to be a mendacious people, which I don't think is unusual in any Christian society.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:13 pm

People in my former Christian community did not think that Jews were liars. They thought that they were wrong about Jesus and wouldn’t attain salvation but nor would anyone else outside of their particular cult.

I think most people believe the rapes happened although they won’t make the news for believing so. No one in my circle has questioned it at all that I know of. I’m glad that the director was fired, especially considering her line of work. There’s no excuse for that.

Not being believed can be just as harmful as the rape itself. There should be no place for people who express such sentiments in a sexual assault centre. She could question others’ experiences, if she hasn’t already, which is downright dangerous. People might even choose to not seek help because they’d worry about not being believed.

It’s disturbing on multiple levels.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 19 Nov 2023, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:31 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
People in my former Christian community did not think that Jews were liars.

Antisemitism from christians is such an oxymoron. Christianity is for all intents and purposes was an offshoot from the Judaic messianic Essene cult which was largely destroyed by the Romans. The historic Jesus was one of the last members of this jewish sect, I never quite understood the decision to proselytize non-Jews?
Matthew 10:5"Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. (jesus talking to his 12 disciples)
It's self evidence that Jesus ministry was aimed at his own people, Scholars have said If he had focused his ministry on Gentiles, he would have lost credibility with his Jewish audience.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:34 pm

That whole news article is very confusing. There are a lot of names and I am still confused as to exactly the name of the person who made the claim. I honestly have no idea how most Christians feel about Jews. The general claim made me angry. Otherwise I'm sorry I said that, WP won't let me change it, and I don't feel like dealing with mods.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:36 pm

^^ Jesus’s goal is not consistent. Later, in Matthew 28:19, 20, he says to his posse:

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:40 pm

MaxE wrote:
I had thought Jagmeet represented Canada's version of the mainstream Left, so I find it ironically amusing to see him accused of sympathizing with Israel.

As for whether Jewish rape victims ought to be believed, I suppose it might matter if you've been raised to believe the Jews to be a mendacious people, which I don't think is unusual in any Christian society.

Why do you think it's amusing or ironic that Singh sympathised with SA victims?

He's a Canadian, born in Toronto. He's a level headed and very experienced politician. I voted for him myself because of his views on equality in gender as well as religion and race. The crimes against Israeli SA victims transcend international borders or political stance. They were committed by terrorists, and he isn't even even Arab. His ancestry is from India.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:42 pm

Many, including myself, are decidedly on the Left and sympathize with all victims. It should be a basic human thing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:44 pm

He's the leader of the Federal NDP which isn't our left or the right. It's our working class party.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
He's the leader of the Federal NDP which isn't our left or the right. It's our working class party.

Yeah, I think I was trying to say that humanity should transcend politics or something like that. I think it often does, fortunately.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:49 pm

Exactly. That was my point.
I don't understand how "the credibility of Jews" is even a talking point here, or in the news.

WTF is that all about?
I sense that because he wears a turban people are freaking out and assuming he must be biased or racist.

That's not how normal people roll.

That in itself stinks of racism to me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:56 pm

https://youtube.com/shorts/H7YykCfZHD0?feature=shared

https://youtube.com/shorts/2FxoPfiA7as?feature=shared

Love this man.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 8:38 pm

To summarize as regarding Jagmeet, so it was my impression that the Conservatives represent the Right, the Liberals the Center, and the NDP the Left. So my premise was that being a Leftist, he would be unlikely to draw attention to Israeli suffering — as in the US and the UK the Left seems to have been very focused on Palestinian suffering with a definite soupçon of animosity towards Israel. As for his ethnicity or religious practice, being neither Christian nor Muslim nor Jewish, I wouldn't expect him to have any skin in that game. I'm certain I said nothing to suggest otherwise. I was angry about what that woman in Alberta said, but I otherwise found the wording of the whole thing confusing with regard to who did what to whom.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 8:40 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't understand how "the credibility of Jews" is even a talking point here, or in the news.

Jews are highly credible in my experience. Israelis tend to be brutally honest. But lately it seems people don't want to hear their opinion, idk.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 8:41 pm

^^ It shouldn’t matter what his political ideology or religion is. Rape is a horrific thing to experience. Everyone who is not a sociopath should sympathize with all victims. I’m far on the Left but feel sympathy for everyone.

I just find the tribal aspect of this conflict really disturbing. We are all people first.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 8:41 pm

MaxE wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Jews are highly credible in my experience. Israelis tend to be brutally honest. But lately it seems people don't want to hear their opinion, idk.

They’re human, just like everyone else. :?

Unless you have evidence which proves they’re more honest than your average person, I call BS.

I believe all victims, no matter their background, unless they give me a reason not to which has never happened. The supposed credibility of an entire demographic doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t be less likely to believe Muslim women than Jewish women and vice versa. We’re all human.