Page 7 of 27 [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 9:11 pm

MaxE wrote:
To summarize as regarding Jagmeet, so it was my impression that the Conservatives represent the Right, the Liberals the Center, and the NDP the Left.

To be clear, Wikipedia says "The New Democratic Party (NDP; French: Nouveau Parti démocratique, NPD) is a federal political party in Canada. Widely described as social democratic, the party occupies the centre-left to left-wing of the political spectrum, sitting to the left of the Liberal Party."

So I wasn't wrong to speak of the NDP as leftist.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 9:58 pm

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 5:52 am

Identifying the NDP as a leftist party shouldn't be seen as a criticism, but I think most people will agree that leftist politicians in the US and UK have shown an extreme animosity towards Israel and Zionism since this all began. The head of the AB rape support place (whatever it's called) spoke in a manner consistent with that trend. I was trying to point out that Jagmeet was going against that trend. I'm sure Jeremy Corbyn would have been silent in the same situation, whatever is private thoughts.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 6:56 am

I didn't see it as a criticism.

Did I say it was a criticism?

Did I criticise you?

No.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 7:22 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I didn't see it as a criticism.

Did I say it was a criticism?

Did I criticise you?

No.

Oh dear, it's just my communication skills suck.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 7:25 am

MaxE wrote:
Oh dear, it's just my communication skills suck.

Your sending skills appear fine, your receiving skills - not so much :P

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 7:28 am

It must be my fault because I'm such a problem poster.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 7:31 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
It must be my fault because I'm such a problem poster.

Yes, that's it. You are no angel but you live as a problem poster inside members minds. You need to get out of their minds, do it, do it now, shoo!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 7:32 am

But it's rent free. I can save money being their obsession.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 10:12 am

MaxE wrote:
Identifying the NDP as a leftist party shouldn't be seen as a criticism, but I think most people will agree that leftist politicians in the US and UK have shown an extreme animosity towards Israel and Zionism since this all began. The head of the AB rape support place (whatever it's called) spoke in a manner consistent with that trend.

If by Israel you mean the Israeli government, I would say that they deserve a fair amount of scrutiny and criticism at this point for their actions. I don’t think ideologies should be above scrutiny, either.

I’ve seen leftist politicians denounce the actions of both Hamas and the IDF which is where I stand as a leftist myself who cares about human rights and people in general. Sure, there are more extreme views, but they don’t reflect everyone by any stretch of the imagination. Extreme views are more likely to make the news because sensationalism is good for ratings.

There is extremism on both sides. Some politicians on the right only care about Israel and lump Palestinians with Hamas, dehumanizing them in the process.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 2:01 pm

Vacation home of former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel vandalized with word 'Nazis'

Quote:
A home owned by former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel appears to have been targeted by vandals.

The fence outside Emmanuel's Michigan vacation home was spray-painted with the word "Nazis."

Emanuel, who now serves as the U.S. ambassador to Japan, thanked local law enforcement in southwest Michigan for how they handled the case.

The writing has since been removed.

Emanuel the former Chief of Staff for Obama is Jewish.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 4:51 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Exactly. That was my point.
I don't understand how "the credibility of Jews" is even a talking point here, or in the news.

WTF is that all about?
I sense that because he wears a turban people are freaking out and assuming he must be biased or racist.

That's not how normal people roll.

That in itself stinks of racism to me.

Racism plus religion-based bigotry.

Here in the U.S.A. after 9/11, there was a wave of hate crimes against Sikhs, apparently because Sikh men wear turbans and Osama Bin Laden wore a turban.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 4:21 pm

United Talent AgencybDrops Susan Sarandon After Pro-Palestine Comments at New York Rally

Quote:
Susan Sarandon has been dropped by UTA after she made controversial comments at a pro-Palestine rally in New York on Nov. 17, Variety has confirmed.

Sarandon said at the rally, “There are a lot of people that are afraid, that are afraid of being Jewish at this time, and are getting a taste of what it feels like to be a Muslim in this country, so often subjected to violence.” She told protesrs to have conversations with Jewish Americans, who don’t feel safe amid the rise of antisemitism in the country.

Muslim-American journalist Asra Nomani responded to Sarandon’s comments in a lengthy post on X, writing “Please don’t minimize the experience of Jewish Americans by sanitizing the hell that it is for Muslims living in Muslim countries and vilifying America for the life — and freedoms — she offers Muslims like my family. Go, live like a Muslim woman in a Muslim country. You will come back to America and kiss the land beneath your feet”.

Sarandon has also come under scrutiny for sharing pro-Palestine posts on X, including posts by Pink Floyd bassist Roger Waters, who has been accused of antisemitism in the past.

The UTA news comes after Hollywood has been dividing on the Israel-Palestine conflict.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 11:47 am

Pro-Palestinian protesters force Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to stop

Quote:
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was temporarily paused when a group of about 30 pro-Palestinian protesters ran into the street and apparently glued themselves to the pavement of the parade route in New York City.

The protesters have been taken into custody, officials said.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 12:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
United Talent Agency Drops Susan Sarandon After Pro-Palestine Comments at New York Rally
Quote:
Susan Sarandon has been dropped by UTA after she made controversial comments at a pro-Palestine rally in New York on Nov. 17, Variety has confirmed.

Sarandon said at the rally, “There are a lot of people that are afraid, that are afraid of being Jewish at this time, and are getting a taste of what it feels like to be a Muslim in this country, so often subjected to violence.” She told protesrs to have conversations with Jewish Americans, who don’t feel safe amid the rise of antisemitism in the country.

I would say that this was an ignorant/insensitive remark, insofar as American Jews (especially outside the NYC area) are no strangers to fear of hate crimes.

In fact, the number of reported hate crimes against Jews, at least, has long been much greater than the number of reported hate crimes against Muslims. (I'll dig up stats on this if anyone needs me to.) I suspect that hate crimes against Muslims may be under-reported, due to Muslims being more likely to be afraid of the police. Even so, it is still highly likely that the numbers of hate crimes against Jews are at least equal to the numbers of actual hate crimes against Muslims.

However ....

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
Muslim-American journalist Asra Nomani responded to Sarandon’s comments in a lengthy post on X, writing “Please don’t minimize the experience of Jewish Americans by sanitizing the hell that it is for Muslims living in Muslim countries and vilifying America for the life — and freedoms — she offers Muslims like my family. Go, live like a Muslim woman in a Muslim country. You will come back to America and kiss the land beneath your feet”.

This seems to me irrelevant. Yes, many Muslim countries are awful places to live. But that's no excuse to treat Muslims badly here in the U.S.A.

Anyhow, looking at Asra Nomani's long post on X, I notice that she says the following:

Quote:
Let me give you “a taste” of what it “feels like” to be a Muslim in America:

My dad didn’t have to become a second-class indentured servant to one of the many tyrants of Muslim countries that use immigrants from India, like my family, as essential slaves. In 1975, after getting his PhD at Rutgers, he was about to go to Libya — a Muslim country — led by a Muslim, Moammar Qhadafi, to work like a servant with a PhD for a wealthy dictator…but then the phone rang one day and I picked it up…

It was West Virginia University calling, and my dad got a job as an assistant professor of nutrition. He got rejected first for tenure but being Muslim in America meant he got a right like everybody got — his right to appeal and guess what? He won and he became a full professor. That’s what it means to be Muslim in America. You get your full rights, like @DrZuhdiJasser has wished for his family in the Muslim nation of Syria, where a Muslim dictator destroys the lives of Muslims.

Good for her family. But the U.S.A. does have a class of visas (H1 and H1B) that often result in workers being treated like slaves too -- whereas it would appear, judging by the above mention of her father's "Ph.D from Rutgers", that he came here on a student visa.

Be that as it may, Asra Nomani's desire to reform the Muslim world is certainly admirable, but should not be pitted against attempts to improve things here in the U.S.A.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 23 Nov 2023, 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 12:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pro-Palestinian protesters force Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to stop
Quote:
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was temporarily paused when a group of about 30 pro-Palestinian protesters ran into the street and apparently glued themselves to the pavement of the parade route in New York City.

The protesters have been taken into custody, officials said.

I'd be impressed if the glue set in that time. :lol: