Mortuary’s License Revoked For Cutting Corpse

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 7:12 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31068446/

"COLUMBIA, S.C. - The South Carolina funeral board has revoked the licenses of a funeral home and its director for cutting the legs off a 6-foot-7 man so his corpse would fit in a casket."

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 8:19 pm

Freakin idiot

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 8:37 pm

This used to be common centuries ago, but corpse mutilation has no place in the modern world. Except in death metal, of course. Image

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 10:52 pm

Oh my goodness, I am glad that they have lost their licenses. I worry as to what on earth they were thinking of when they cut the legs off the man.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 5:47 am

that was done in the days where coffins were one size fits all.

no need for that today.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2009, 6:34 am

That's insane! But where did they put the legs? :idea:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 8:25 am

AJCoyne wrote:

if the coffin is wide at the shoulders, then there is plenty of room to put the legs alongside of the legs left on the corpse. My uncle was buried with his amputated arm (that had been removed decades before) because his religion states the body must be buried whole for him to be resurrected whole and he said he didn't want to spend eternity with out his other arm. :!:

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2009, 10:57 am

sinsboldly wrote:
AJCoyne wrote:

if the coffin is wide at the shoulders, then there is plenty of room to put the legs alongside of the legs left on the corpse. My uncle was buried with his amputated arm (that had been removed decades before) because his religion states the body must be buried whole for him to be resurrected whole and he said he didn't want to spend eternity with out his other arm. :!:
I see :o
Still, it would have made a better story if they put them in the freezer or something...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 8:05 am

AJCoyne wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
AJCoyne wrote:

Still, it would have made a better story if they put them in the freezer or something...

or a smoker

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20982414/

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jun 2009, 4:00 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
AJCoyne wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
AJCoyne wrote:

or a smoker

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20982414/

Hmmm........Long pork, Yummy!! !!
As for the said mortuary.....has hiring carpenters and joiners become a lost Art?

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 4:31 pm

I don't see anything wrong with it. Unless the body is going to be on show for all to see, it may be sickening to view. But underground in a box where no-one is going to see for a long time? It's like demolishing a building without breaking it...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 7:11 pm

mutilation of a corpse, it's against the law.

In the ordinary use of the term, a property right does not exist in a corpse. For the purpose of burial, however, the corpse of a human being is considered to be property or quasi-property, the rights to which are held by the surviving spouse or next of kin. This right cannot be conveyed and does not exist while the decedent is living. Following burial, the body is considered part of the ground in which it is placed. Articles of Personal Property that have been buried with the body, such as jewelry, may be taken by their rightful owner as determined by traditional property rules or laws relating to Descent and Distribution or wills, as they are material objects independent of the body.

A corpse may not be retained by an undertaker as security for unpaid funeral expenses, particularly if a body was kept without authorization and payment was demanded as a condition precedent to its release.

At times, the need to perform an autopsy or postmortem examination gives the local Coroner a superior right to possess the corpse until such an examination is performed. The general rule is that such examinations should be performed with discretion and not routinely. Some state statutes regulate the times when an autopsy may be performed, which may require the procurement of a court order and written permission of a designated person, usually the one with property rights in the corpse.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Corpse