System 'failing autistic adults' (in UK)

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2009, 4:32 am

There is going to be a new strategy for helping Autistic adults here is the address:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8083280.stm

Not that I would like to be critical of schemes to help people who are autistic but I do find it remarkable that the monetary aspect of the policy seems to be a key area rather than really improving the help. Whatever the reason is for the new scheme I thought you would want to know.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2009, 5:06 am

I hope something materializes.

I mean, I know I'm only 15 so this doesn't necessarily apply to me but I am seeing someone from CASS right now (Coventry Autism Support Service) but they are only required to see me until I am 16. Which is on Sunday. After that, there isn't anything. Perhaps a "support group" in a sh***y little rec room, but that's not what I need. I need coping strategies, not AS friends.

I was diagnosed too late, I guess. :shrug:

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2009, 5:18 am

The article said that there will be a first strategy drafted by the end of 2009, which makes it sound as though something will definitely come into fruition. Although considering the other problems facing most of the economically developed world this may not be of supreme importance. Does your support run out when you end the school year (year 11) or just when your birthday happens. I am 16 as well. One other thing, hope you do well in your GCSEs.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2009, 5:27 am

Ben_Shapiro wrote:
The article said that there will be a first strategy drafted by the end of 2009, which makes it sound as though something will definitely come into fruition. Although considering the other problems facing most of the economically developed world this may not be of supreme importance. Does your support run out when you end the school year (year 11) or just when your birthday happens. I am 16 as well. One other thing, hope you do well in your GCSEs.
I think that the support technically ends when I am 16, but they're not going to wash their hands of me as soon as my birthday happens, I hope...I think I'm signed up for another few weeks after that. I guess it won't be on the top of the government's priority list. Makes me sort of angry when I think about the fact all the money the stole from taxpayers would be more than enough to put in place better support for adults with Autism.
GCSE's...ah...I walked out of school a year and a half ago so I can't take them :lol: even if I was taking them, I wouldn't be able to cope with a test situation, in my SATs I got so stressed out that I dissected my Science paper with a craft knife :lol: Thanks though, and good luck to you, too. :P

quantum42
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jun 2009, 6:45 am

The BBC article was interesting, I'm not surprised, the level of services for people in the UK is such that I have found it difficult to get support and my needs are not recognised.

Some more news articles on the subject:

http://news.google.co.uk/news/more?pz=1 ... eM&topic=m

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 7:20 am

UK health system failing Autistic adults.. "No sh*t, Sherlock" as they say :(

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2009, 7:33 am

That phrase has confused me for a long time, assuming it is the clever Sherlock Holmes from the books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle people are referring to, why would people be insulting his intelligence? In whoever posts next could they include a quick explanation please.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 8:24 am

Ben_Shapiro wrote:
That phrase has confused me for a long time, assuming it is the clever Sherlock Holmes from the books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle people are referring to, why would people be insulting his intelligence? In whoever posts next could they include a quick explanation please.

That phrase references Sherlock ironically--a person who has pointed out the obvious is the opposite of a clever Holmes.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 8:32 am

the "Holmes" is wise yes, in my experience the phrase is used in a sarcastic way, to say "well done" for stating the obvious. using Sherlock Holmes to exaggerate the idea that it was obvious.. essentially saying in a sarcastic way, that the person IS Sherlock Holmes, a great detective.. does that make sense? i've confused myself now
so in context i was "gently" teasing by saying this. i'm sorry. However, i also meant more specifically to express that i have no faith in the UK's mental health services. i myself feel "failed" by them

Last edited by Fudo on 05 Jun 2009, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2009, 8:44 am

My turn at sarcasm, what really a mental health service misundestanding someone's mental health problems must be a first.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 8:53 am

"close, but no cigar" ;)

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2009, 8:58 am

I can't remember precisely, but I don't think Asperger's Syndrome is actually classified as a proper disability or something, when it comes to getting support as an adult. You're okay if you have other things that bring you under that classification, but if not...

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 9:35 am

Ben_Shapiro wrote:
There is going to be a new strategy for helping Autistic adults here is the address:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8083280.stm

Not that I would like to be critical of schemes to help people who are autistic but I do find it remarkable that the monetary aspect of the policy seems to be a key area rather than really improving the help. Whatever the reason is for the new scheme I thought you would want to know.

Just be glad that you are not in Florida (U.S.A.). Here, there are no services for autistic adults whatsoever.

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2009, 11:49 am

So you pay tax and get what exactly in return?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 12:59 pm

Ben_Shapiro wrote:
So you pay tax and get what exactly in return?

Not a single thing.

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2009, 1:07 pm

Somewhere called America or something fought a long hard war about paying taxes and not getting anything in return, maybe you should talk to one of those Americans or something about it. I am sure in there country what is happening to you wouldnt happen. (Now look at that for sarcasm!)