Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 4:31 pm

Whale Saves Drowning Diver

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... -life.html

30 Jul 2009

A beluga whale saved a drowning diver by hoisting her to the surface, carrying her leg in its mouth.

Terrified Yang Yun thought she was going to die when her legs were paralysed by crippling cramps in arctic temperatures.

She had been taking part in a free diving contest WITHOUT any breathing equipment.

Competitors had to sink to the bottom of an aquarium's 20ft arctic pool and stay there for as long as possible amid the beluga whales at Polar Land in Harbin, north east China.

But when Yun, 26, tried to head to the surface she struggled to move her legs.

Lucky Yun said: "I began to choke and sank even lower and I thought that was it for me - I was dead. Until I felt this incredible force under me driving me to the surface."

Beluga whale Mila had spotted her difficulties and using her sensitive dolphin-like nose guided Yun safely to the surface.

An organiser said: "Mila noticed the problem before we did.

"We suddenly saw the girl being pushed to the top of the pool with her leg in Mila's mouth.

"She's a sensitive animal who works closely with humans and I think this girl owes her, her life."

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 7:59 pm

Pretty nice behaviour from a species that we keep sticking harpoons into... pity we can't seem to reciprocate

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2009, 8:13 pm

gbollard wrote:
Pretty nice behaviour from a species that we keep sticking harpoons into... pity we can't seem to reciprocate

Well a lot of effort is put into protecting whales and not only protecting them from humans.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 8:33 pm

That is awesome.
:D
Tell ya what, there's a lot of critters out there which are way brighter than we usually give them credit for.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 7:41 am

southwestforests wrote:
That is awesome.
:D
Tell ya what, there's a lot of critters out there which are way brighter than we usually give them credit for.

And much nicer too when you consider how many dolphins and whales we kill.

Barblen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2009, 7:49 am

We kill them for perfume, why are you complaining? It's essential.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 12:00 pm

Essential oils? topic

You can make perfume out of vanilla beans. Leave the whales alone!! :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 2:59 pm

Barblen wrote:
We kill them for perfume, why are you complaining? It's essential.

:lmao: if it weren't so ironic.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 3:48 pm

^^ This is a lovely story. ^^ However, I must say that I very much disagree with the way the term "we" has been used throughout this thread. I do not associate myself with the humans who kill whales. I do not kill whales for perfume, nor do I suspect many of you.^^ I apologise very much. I become very upset when humans are grouped together as one and all other individuals are not included in this "we". ^^ For me, if using "we" in a universal context, whales are included as are all life. Otherwise, there exist individuals with their individuality and personality. I am sorry if I have offended any individuals however.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 5:08 pm

Tomasu wrote:
^^ This is a lovely story. ^^ However, I must say that I very much disagree with the way the term "we" has been used throughout this thread. I do not associate myself with the humans who kill whales. I do not kill whales for perfume, nor do I suspect many of you.^^ I apologise very much. I become very upset when humans are grouped together as one and all other individuals are not included in this "we". ^^ For me, if using "we" in a universal context, whales are included as are all life. Otherwise, there exist individuals with their individuality and personality. I am sorry if I have offended any individuals however.

I'd like to disagree with the term too because I have nothing against whales but I'm sure that in some way I contribute to their harm. BTW: I'm not an environmentalist... If anything, I've tended to lean a bit the other way... not destruction but ... balance.

Anyway, I've bought perfume/oils for my wife and not even considered where they come from - maybe I've bought whale product??
Maybe I've contributed to the pollution that's killing them indirectly.
Maybe I've not done enough to protect them?
Maybe our western greed is what's driving certain cultures to obtain whale meat (for culinary research).

Who knows... but as a species we are doing them damage directly and indirectly.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 8:12 pm

Whales who push drowning divers deeper are not newsworthy.

ruveyn

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 8:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Whales who push drowning divers deeper are not newsworthy.

ruveyn

:lmao:

that made my day....

also here's a filthy joke that you should only read if you're ok with naughty words.

A Whale's Revenge

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

15 Aug 2009, 7:44 pm

In alot of ways I think animals are smarter than people are....I live with 2 dogs and a parrot...they outsmart me at least once a day 8O