Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 1:47 pm

Jeremy Laurance wrote:
With hindsight, Nicky Clark says early signs of autism were present in both her children. The elder one, though very bright, had a love of routine and was not interested in fantasy games like other children. The younger one liked to line things up in rows and would watch the same video clip over and over again for hours. When she got the diagnosis it came as a huge shock, as it would be for any parent. But there was an additional reason why it was unexpected – both her children are girls.

Full article here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-autism-is-different-for-girls-1907315.html

Kaizer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2010, 1:53 pm

autism is not really different for girls the only differences are social stereo types and social conditioning.

females have just been underdiagnosed in comparison to males

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 2:48 pm

I don't think it's really all that different fro girls.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 4:44 pm

IIRC, the general cons nsus is the underlying condition is the same, however girls typically end up recieving more social training in general, thus hide the condition more.

Electric_Spaghetti
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2010, 5:08 am

Boys get disruptive, girls get depressed. Boys get diagnosed with autism, girls get diagnosed with anorexia/depression/borderline personality disorder.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 2:13 pm

According to the data in a paper I read recently,

1. Autism and asperger's are less frequent in females than in males, perhaps because the female average is farther from the autistic end of the spectrum than is the male average.

2. For women who do have aspergers or autism, it isn't any different from the men who have it; it's just that such women are less common.

Unfortunately I can't link the paper because I'm a newbie and can't post links yet.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 4:26 pm

The presentation of AS women is very different from that of males. And another poster is right. They usually get misdiagnosed as having borderline personality disorder or another condition.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Isabella
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2010, 6:10 pm

I went to a comference in Boston about aspergers headed by Tony Attwood last year. He said fewer women get diagnosed with AS because we are better mimickers/actors, thus better at hiding our disorder. In his exstimation there are probably just as many women out there with AS as there are men, just most of them go undiagnosed, or misdiagnosed. Its a shame really, because there are few diagnosed women there aren't too many books out there about women with AS.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2010, 8:28 pm

The article talks like it should be a hage shock if any girl has autism. It's rarer, but that's not true...

ALso, I think the article was written in a slightly uninformed tone. They mention "High functioning Aspergers" :roll:

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 11:20 pm

I keep hearing "misdiagnosis". But HOW? how are females misdiagnosed?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 11:56 pm

Funny, they were having a story about this on the BBC World Service just as I got home. Wanted to hear the rest of it, but I got put to work bringing in groceries...;)

Has anyone every noticed how the interviewees always seem to echo the questions word for word?

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 7:17 am

pakled wrote:
Funny, they were having a story about this on the BBC World Service just as I got home. Wanted to hear the rest of it, but I got put to work bringing in groceries...;)

Has anyone every noticed how the interviewees always seem to echo the questions word for word?

I think that is intentional, as they are trying to reach as wide a variety of people as possible, they repeat the questions, talk slowly, and avoid overly-complex language, so those who speak other languages, and only understand some English can still make out what is being said.

Kaizer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2010, 8:12 pm

Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
I keep hearing "misdiagnosis". But HOW? how are females misdiagnosed?

normally depression, personality disorder among other things

but you'd be suprised how often the 'must be your hormones' crap gets played on :roll:

pianorak
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2010, 4:37 pm

If AS is a genetic type rather than a "disease" females will present differently from males. After all, neuro-typical males and females are different from each other. In his 1944 paper Hans Asperger described the mother of one of his patients, Fritz V, as being similar to the boy, and remarks that this is particularly striking because one would expect women to be more socially adapted. If the professionals don't expect to find female Aspies it's no wonder that they're not finding us! Instead, they try to force us to believe falsely that we suffered childhood abuse, and other fantasies of their own making.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 7:06 pm

Electric_Spaghetti wrote:
Boys get disruptive, girls get depressed. Boys get diagnosed with autism, girls get diagnosed with anorexia/depression/borderline personality disorder.

I'm a boy and I've never been disruptive. I'm much more familiar with depression.

glitteredskittled
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Mar 2010, 3:04 pm

*raises hand* - I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I didn't have a clue what Asperger's was until we figured out my son had it, then realized I have it too. And probably not borderline... :roll: