Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 2:00 am

Web Page Namehttp://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/li ... 683671.ece

Interesting.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2009, 2:10 am

Quote:
THE doctor who sparked the scare over the safety of the MMR vaccine for children changed and misreported results in his research

i bet that kinda thing happens all the time. publish or perish, and the more sensational the better.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:01 am

The link in the OP does not work, please could someone post an alternative link to the same story.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:40 am

Woodpecker:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 683671.ece

I think the word Name at the beginning of the link is the problem, Name got added to the link by mistake.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:48 am

That really is something... The damage this guy has done cannot be calculated... all of the people who refuse immunisations based on this dingus' lies... all the kids who get measles and end up in the hospital or dead... this guy ought to be sentenced to death by a thousand needle pricks...

sadly though, the damage has been done... more people than ever are firmly committed to the idea that vaccines cause autism, thanks to idiots like Cindy Crawford spending big bucks to publicise Wakefield's bogus study...

Quote:
From The Sunday TimesFebruary 8, 2009

MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism
THE doctor who sparked the scare over the safety of the MMR vaccine for children changed and misreported results in his research, creating the appearance of a possible link with autism, a Sunday Times investigation has found.

Confidential medical documents and interviews with witnesses have established that Andrew Wakefield manipulated patients’ data, which triggered fears that the MMR triple vaccine to protect against measles, mumps and rubella was linked to the condition.

The research was published in February 1998 in an article in The Lancet medical journal. It claimed that the families of eight out of 12 children attending a routine clinic at the hospital had blamed MMR for their autism, and said that problems came on within days of the jab. The team also claimed to have discovered a new inflammatory bowel disease underlying the children’s conditions.

However, our investigation, confirmed by evidence presented to the General Medical Council (GMC), reveals that: In most of the 12 cases, the children’s ailments as described in The Lancet were different from their hospital and GP records. Although the research paper claimed that problems came on within days of the jab, in only one case did medical records suggest this was true, and in many of the cases medical concerns had been raised before the children were vaccinated. Hospital pathologists, looking for inflammatory bowel disease, reported in the majority of cases that the gut was normal. This was then reviewed and the Lancet paper showed them as abnormal.

Despite involving just a dozen children, the 1998 paper’s impact was extraordinary. After its publication, rates of inoculation fell from 92% to below 80%. Populations acquire “herd immunity” from measles when more than 95% of people have been vaccinated.

Last week official figures showed that 1,348 confirmed cases of measles in England and Wales were reported last year, compared with 56 in 1998. Two children have died of the disease.

With two professors, John Walker-Smith and Simon Murch, Wakefield is defending himself against allegations of serious professional misconduct brought by the GMC. The charges relate to ethical aspects of the project, not its findings. All three men deny any misconduct.

Through his lawyers, Wakefield this weekend denied the issues raised by our investigation, but declined to comment further.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Feb 2009, 9:21 am

Woodpecker wrote:
The link in the OP does not work, please could someone post an alternative link to the same story.

I have it right here...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 683671.ece

Dr. Wakefield should be banned from practicing medicine, an educated troll is
more dangerous than an ignorant one. :evil:

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 11:02 am

I have looked at the Times article, and it looks very bad for him. If it is true that he has faked research then I will be very displeased.

I am going to wait for GMC to consider the matter, if they find him guilty then I say strike him off as a doctor, suspend him without pay for at least ten years and then force him if he wants to be readmitted after that time to prove to us that he is a reformed man. If however he is blameless then I say he should leave the GMC court without a stain on his character.

This MMR thing has turned the UK health system upside down, he may have harmed public health and set back the real research on autism for years. The possible harm to public health is set out in part in the following article in the Times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 683687.ece

I would like to know if the mercury hypothesis resulted from Andrew Wakefield's work.

I have made some searchs of the literature and the first paper which mentions autism and mercury is in Environmental Health Perspectives, 2000, volume 108, page 511. A second early paper in Medical Hypotheses, volume 56, issue 4, page 462 was on mercury, vaccines and autism. I do not think either paper cites A.J. Wakefield MD.

A time line of the MMR story can be seen at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 683642.ece

A second article is present at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 683643.ece

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 6:32 pm

I read in Dr. Paul A. Offit's book Autism's False Prophet that he stood to gain a lot of money because of his false research. I can't remember what he was doing to try to get teh money grrrr I am to hungry to remember stupid brain it require refueling :evil:

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 10:12 am

Deluding the dolts for fun and profit.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 7:11 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
I read in Dr. Paul A. Offit's book Autism's False Prophet that he stood to gain a lot of money because of his false research. I can't remember what he was doing to try to get teh money grrrr I am to hungry to remember stupid brain it require refueling :evil:

Because in order to make money from science you have to make s**t up? REAL things make no profit, it seems.

Fascinating that people feel the need to make up bollocks on such a cyclopean scale. To what end? The truth will out.. wtf did this numbnuts think was going to happen when he got caught bullshitting?

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 11:02 pm

Macbeth wrote:
philosopherBoi wrote:

Because in order to make money from science you have to make sh** up? REAL things make no profit, it seems.

Fascinating that people feel the need to make up bollocks on such a cyclopean scale. To what end? The truth will out.. wtf did this numbnuts think was going to happen when he got caught bullshitting?

I suppose he thought he would be rich by the time the people wised up and would be far far away where no one could get him or that he wouldn't get caught.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 11:23 am

For details of the case please see

http://www.gmcpressoffice.org.uk/apps/n ... p?key=3055

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 4:43 pm

Say what you want about Keith Olbermann, but he hit it on the nail during his "Worst Person's" segment on his "Countdown" show. Wakefield beat out the usual winner of the award Bill "Bill-o the Clown" O'Reilly and said it with a terse tone.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 5:20 pm

My sister was studying sociology or to become a social worker. She got credits in most of her work. Then she stole a professor credit card details or some thing, tried to committ fraud. I think she was asked to leave.

Duzzle
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2009, 5:36 pm

I am reminded of the nasty David Reimer/John Money case.

Similar story, doctor fudges his results for his own benefit and harms generations of children.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 2:17 am

Something which will be of use to anyone following the case will be

http://www.gmc-uk.org/register/search/index.asp#

You can search for details of any UK doctors here, if the doctor has a pending GMC case then the search will indicate that.