09 Aug 2010, 11:44 pm

Puberty strikes 7 year old girls.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38600414/ ... parenting/

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 11:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Perhaps it's the hormones in milk and such.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 12:14 am

Quote:
And other research has shown that girls who go through puberty early tend to have lower self-esteem and a poor body image. They are also more likely to engage in risky behaviors which can result in unplanned pregnancies, experts say.

I started developing at age 9. However, I've never had a "poor body image," and any self-esteem issues were not related to physical appearance.

Quote:
There’s also the issue of stature. There are some studies, Biro says, that show that kids who mature early don’t grow as tall.

Well, that explains a lot. I've been 5'2" since I was 14.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 1:31 am

conundrum wrote:
Quote:
And other research has shown that girls who go through puberty early tend to have lower self-esteem and a poor body image. They are also more likely to engage in risky behaviors which can result in unplanned pregnancies, experts say.

I started developing at age 9. However, I've never had a "poor body image," and any self-esteem issues were not related to physical appearance.

I did. That's how I developed an eating disorder. I sometimes hate my body still and wish I were thinner and everyone keeps saying I am so skinny but I see people out there who are thinner than me.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:37 am

conundrum wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
There’s also the issue of stature. There are some studies, Biro says, that show that kids who mature early don’t grow as tall.

Well, that explains a lot. I've been 5'2" since I was 14.

Yeah. I started at 9 too. I've been 5'5 1/2 since I was 14. they estimated I was supposed to grow 5'7 or so at birth so... Hmm.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:20 pm

My sister and I both started around age 8.

She is 5'7'' and I am around 5'9''.
We did have estimated heights of around six-feet.
{Gee, what happened?}
Then, we obviously were not emotionally/psychologically ready for the physical changes.
I myself had a tiny mustache by the time I was 11.

When I become a parent, I will make sure
my {hypothetical, future} children are emotionally/psychologically ready.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 7:02 pm

I started growing breasts around age eight.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 11:11 pm

So far, my kids seems to be maturing at normal rates.

I still have to read the article, but I don't think they know what the cause is. Still, there have been theories and we decided early on to buy non-BST milk, and to use either cotton or more earthy non-chemical paper diapers, v. those made with super-absorbent crystals, which DO get on your baby and contain all sorts of questionable chemicals. Both items have been considered potential factors.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 10:00 am

My cycles didn't start until I was 13 1/2!! My cousin got hers when she was 9-10 though.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 12:41 am

There is something very wrong.

Girls are entering puberty at an early age while the sperm count for men has decreased 50% in the last few decades.

We have introduced vast numbers of chemicals and food additives to our world without the slightest idea what nasty side effects they might have.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 1:58 am

My husband thinks it's the hormones that get injected in the animals so they can age faster and kill them quicker for us to eat.

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 6:01 pm

I started noticing it at 12 for me. I didn't start my period until I was 14. However, I was 4'11 until 15, and have been stuck at 5'2 since then. I weighed 60lbs at 12 and grew 10lbs a year to averaging out at 100-125lbs since being 17. I have suspected Aspergers for myself, and do not think the ADHD I was diagnosed with holds any merit, especially since I knew then that adderall wasn't working. I was on this for 9 years, and I can see how this might stunt my growth, especially if I wasn't ADHD at all.

But it's pretty scary to know that these chemicals in the food we eat are also causing people to get sick, age quicker, etc, etc. Even saw a show on how there are anti-biotics pumped into these animals. You can imagine what that does to the effectiveness of anti-biotics.

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2010, 8:03 pm

I was put on many different pills since the age of 7, and refused to take them since I was 13. I probably started puberty at age 11, I had been on pills that made me anorexic in the 4th and 5th grade. They switched me to a different pill that made me hungry. At 12 I grew to 5 foot 2, and I haven't gotten any taller . I'm okay with that.

What this article didn't mention was- was the 7 year old girl overweight?

Or are you to automatically assume that every girl who begins puberty unusually early is overweight? This is the question that I'd like to see an answer to.