Can you believe Jennifer Aniston said this?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

24 Aug 2010, 3:44 pm

I just saw a clip of "Live with Regis and Kelly" (Regis had a guest host that day, some radio show host), and they did an interview with Jennifer Aniston, where she says that she recently did a photo shoot where she dressed up like Barbra Streisand for Harper's Bazzar magazine, and she said -- you're not going to believe this --
"Yeah, I play dress-up all the time. I look like a ret*d!" (I wanted to post a video, but I don't know how to do that). Anyway, this remark sparked a big controversy, especially with the Special Olympics. Has anyone else heard about this? I was shocked. I don't think she realized what she was saying. Does anyone else feel this way?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 4:03 pm

I can't believe that anybody would say something like this, on national TV these days.

pyzzazzyZyzzyva
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2010, 4:33 pm

The thing I can't believe is your response to it. Unless I am much mistaken, I think that the intent was to say "I look horrible." If she tried to imitate Raymond from Rainman, and autistics in general for laughs, I think that that would be antagonistic and that would be different. I don't think word choice (i.e. 'ret*d') is as important as intent.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 4:44 pm

The word "ret*d" doesn't really mean ret*d in the medical sense anymore, I don't think.
The word "gay" is now twice removed from it's original meaning.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Aug 2010, 4:57 pm

Well, not like our beloved president didn't say something very similar on Jay Leno. Nobody ever accused Jennifer Anniston of being smart tho.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 5:14 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Well, not like our beloved president didn't say something very similar on Jay Leno. Nobody ever accused Jennifer Anniston of being smart tho.

Not too many people accused Obama of being smart either. Most people I know that voted for him did so because of how charismatic he is. Anyway, I think people need to lighten up about Anniston's remarks because she was picking on herself.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 5:46 pm

Aniston is a pampered Hollywood actress and nothing else. Unlike other Hollywood actresses like Natalie Portman who have some impressive academic credentials and seem rather intelligent overall. Aniston is basically a joke and so is just about every movie and TV program she has appeared in. Nobody should take anything the women says very seriously.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 5:51 pm

:roll: Yeah, Queen Amidala impressed the hell out of me.

As far as I'm concerned Jennifer Anniston can say whatever she wants as long as she sits in the right place while she says it. :D

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:08 pm

Willard wrote:
:roll: Yeah, Queen Amidala impressed the hell out of me.

As far as I'm concerned Jennifer Anniston can say whatever she wants as long as she sits in the right place while she says it. :D

Ack....I wasn't saying any of Portman's roles are so impressive. It's just that she's accomplished alot of other things whereas ALL Aniston has ever done is act in mindless movies and NT classics like "friends".

Plus she's way cuter than Aniston :wink:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:21 pm

Yeah I can believe it.

Im not one of these stupidly PC people who cares about the word "ret*d".

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 8:27 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I can't believe that anybody would say something like this, on national TV these days.

Yeah! She must be ret*d to say something like that!

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 9:43 pm

:roll: a lot of people have, m.r and that could of really hurt them.
it could even be some on this site.
they shouldn't feel :oops: of it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 4:34 am

Dox47 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Yeah! She must be ret*d to say something like that!

She ought to watch it, or Sarah Palin's going to demand she resign from..., well, whatever, for using the word ret*d. :lol: :roll:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 4:41 am

MONIQUEIJ wrote:

Do they still call it that in the US?

In the UK they say learning difficulties, if you said a person had mental retardation in the UK you would be viewed as quite prejudiced I think (like calling someone with downs syndrome a mongol). Its interesting how different countries have different PC rules.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2010, 4:52 am

Princess78 wrote:
I just saw a clip of "Live with Regis and Kelly" (Regis had a guest host that day, some radio show host), and they did an interview with Jennifer Aniston, where she says that she recently did a photo shoot where she dressed up like Barbra Streisand for Harper's Bazzar magazine, and she said -- you're not going to believe this --
"Yeah, I play dress-up all the time. I look like a ret*d!" (I wanted to post a video, but I don't know how to do that). Anyway, this remark sparked a big controversy, especially with the Special Olympics. Has anyone else heard about this? I was shocked. I don't think she realized what she was saying. Does anyone else feel this way?

great she can go bowling with the president. I read one anti palin blog before the election that warned "ret*d children" rule their home with demands. So if McCain was voted in, died, and Palin took over, they warned her disabled child Trigger would be in control of the world.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 2:13 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:

Do they still call it that in the US?

In the UK they say learning difficulties, if you said a person had mental retardation in the UK you would be viewed as quite prejudiced I think (like calling someone with downs syndrome a mongol). Its interesting how different countries have different PC rules.

i guess it depends if you had your diagnoses before they change the name, then you might still refer to it as; m.r