Man takes hostages at Discovery Channel headquarters.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 6:43 pm

Apparently the standoff is over and was only about 2-3 hrs long. The gunman was killed by police and the hostages are fine.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_discovery_channel_gunman

The man hated the Discovery Channel's environmental programming.

I must say this was the weirdest motive for a hostage taking I've ever heard of. 8O There are some cable channels I hate but not enough to go bezerk.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 6:52 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Apparently the standoff is over and was only about 2-3 hrs long. The gunman was killed by police and the hostages are fine.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_discovery_channel_gunman

The man hated the Discovery Channel's environmental programming.

I must say this was the weirdest motive for a hostage taking I've ever heard of. 8O There are some cable channels I hate but not enough to go bezerk.

I just wanted to interject here... from what I've seen so far, the gunman is still alive. He was shot during the confrontation but survived and is now in police custody. Just because someone gets shot doesn't automatically mean they're dead.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

JasonGone
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2010, 7:12 pm

here is the dudes manifesto. i couldn't help it but it made me laugh (the manifesto)

gunman manifesto

this article claims he was killed
killed

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:16 pm

JasonGone wrote:
here is the dudes manifesto. i couldn't help it but it made me laugh (the manifesto)

gunman manifesto

this article claims he was killed
killed

Lemme double check

Ok, nevermind, apparently he is dead. I first came aware of this situation at about 1530 MDT shortly after the standoff ended, at that point they were saying that he was shot but they weren't sure it was fatal. I guess the gunman's death is a recent development.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:52 pm

XD he thought he could get all that from holding a t.v. station hostage? not a very bright guy

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Sep 2010, 9:19 pm

Well the guy was a nut job obviously but in the notion of fairness, this is all Cass Sunstein, Barack Obama, and Al Gore's fault. They must cease their radical apocalyptic left wing rhetoric on global warming and the environment so tragedies like this can be avoided.

Seriously though, it's pretty funny how close this guys views are to Cass Sunstein. For those who don't know who he is, he's Obama's "the regulatory czar",

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 9:41 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Well the guy was a nut job obviously but in the notion of fairness, this is all Cass Sunstein, Barack Obama, and Al Gore's fault. They must cease their radical apocalyptic left wing rhetoric on global warming and the environment so tragedies like this can be avoided.

Seriously though, it's pretty funny how close this guys views are to Cass Sunstein. For those who don't know who he is, he's Obama's "the regulatory czar",

how is that in the interest of fairness?

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2010, 9:48 pm

Hey, I hate humans, think they're screwing up the planet, are a plague of the earth, but that doesn't give "me" the excuse or right to take people hostage and/or kill them. I know they're all doomed, and this planet will bounce back without them. Yay...

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 10:35 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
There are some cable channels I hate but not enough to go bezerk.

I would love to see MTV/VH1, E!, and a few others get wiped off the face of the earth. But then again, E! is owned by Comcast. And Comcast out of all the cable companies is the most powerful of them - they own a few cable channels(E!, Style, G4), most of the regional sports networks(Comcast SportsNet, SportsNet NY), the satellite uplink/multicast system all cable companies and IPTV use(HITS), and they also play a small role in IPv6.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:08 pm

ikorack wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Because whenever some crazy person uses right wing reasons to kill people they try to blame the whole movement for it. Kind of like how they tried to tie Joe Stack to the Tea Parties until it came out he was a communist.

Meliev
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2010, 11:13 pm

I hadn't bothered reading the article but it seems like this guy had some serious problems, he was probably suicidal and just wanted an excuse to die, or maybe he had anger issues or something. People don't just do things just because, everything happens for a reason, consciously or subconsciously , no matter who you are

(I'm not buying the, "I Hate This Channel!" thing he says)

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:37 pm

Jacoby wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Because whenever some crazy person uses right wing reasons to kill people they try to blame the whole movement for it. Kind of like how they tried to tie Joe Stack to the Tea Parties until it came out he was a communist.

so you do stuff things you find flawed deliberately?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:44 pm

ikorack wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

fight fire with fire

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 12:25 am

So I was watching the news about this, the gunman was killed but it sounds like no employees were hurt. That's good. The Discovery Channel is awesome!

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 12:30 am

Jacoby wrote:

Obama's made his bed, his ass is getting voted OUT in 2012. Unless the SEIU/Teamsters/NEA and the Prius idiots in San Francisco/LA get their paranoia machine running again.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 1:46 am

Jacoby wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

fight fire with fire

then everything gets burned down its also boring and uncreative.