Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 5:07 pm

I have now officially lost all respect for this family

Quote:
source cbc.ca
The family of Tim McLean is suing Greyhound, the RCMP and the man suspected of committing the gruesome killing of the 22-year-old man aboard a bus in rural Manitoba in July.

At a press conference in Winnipeg Tuesday afternoon, Jay Prober, the lawyer for McLean's father, Tim McLean Sr., said the lawsuit names the suspect in McLean's killing, Vince Weiguang Li, as well as the Greyhound bus company and Canada's attorney general.

The federal ministers of transport and safety are also named in the suit, which claims Greyhound and the government failed to ensure the safety of the travelling public.

The RCMP are also named for allowing the accused killer to remain on the bus for several hours with McLean's body.

Li, 40, has been charged with second-degree murder. He is accused of first stabbing, then mutilating McLean's body on a bus just west of Portage La Prairie, Man., on July 30. Li was arrested hours after the driver pulled the bus over and passengers fled when he tried to leave the bus by jumping out a broken window, RCMP said.

The family is seeking about $150,000 in damages, but Prober said the lawsuit is not about money. It's about accountability and responsibility for what happened to McLean, he said

The death should have been prevented, Prober said, adding that he hoped the legal action would lead to better safety measures on Greyhound buses.

Prober said the family has had difficulty getting answers about why the Mounties waited hours to try to end the incident.

This family is stooping to the low of using the tragic murder of their son for money. The murder could have done this walking down the road on on a bench, how is Greyhound supposed to fortell this wack-job getting on the bus? if this actually goes through, then people are going to sue the owners of schools and colleges if there is a shooting.

Greyhound and the RCMP are not responsible for the death of victim, the murder is.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 5:13 pm

yeah I agree, they have no moral..

It's the same when a couple of parents try to sue Blink 182 for their son committing suicide :roll: it just doesn't hold any water.. in fact it's shameful to think someone would kill themselves over a song, why cant they look at the bigger picture?.. there was a time where you had to live with your loss, not reap benefits from it..

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 5:15 pm

All lawsuits cost money, and so does burial, loss of income provider, etc. These cases happen always, so it isn't very strange they'd be doing this. Also, what encourages a company to change policy? If they got off the hook at no expense, would they bother to do anything preventative for the customers in the future?

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 6:00 pm

It's ridiculous that the parents would be suing Greyhound.

Canadians usually don't sue people over dumb crap. That's usually what people in California do, not people in Canada.

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2008, 7:20 pm

Greyhound will escape liability because it wasn't their fault. The driver of that bus was amazing, putting his life in danger, to save his passengers and I will not stop traveling on Greyhound, it's one of my favorite modes of transport. Really.

The murderer is the one who needs to be sued, not Greyhound.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 7:25 pm

Bozewani wrote:
The murderer is the one who needs to be sued, not Greyhound.

That's correct. Given all policies were both existent and enforced to prevent such an incident.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 9:03 pm

This is a lawyer who is reaching for any and everyone they think they can hold responsible and can get money out of for this. I bet it goes nowhere because:

1) The murderer probably has no assets that can be attached

2) Ever try suing a governmental entity. With all the lawyers on staff and specific rules. Plus remember, the judges are on the governmental payroll.

3) Greyhound, as a large company, also has a staff of lawyer to make this go away. On top of that, if they were to not allow any wacko on their buses, they would go out of business.

Simply put, the status quo will remain.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 9:19 pm

It was a freak accident that shouldn't have occured!.. the man was tweaked!

What f****n policies are they going to make?!

No more knives allowed on the bus! :wall:

Great! just what we need!.. more liberties stripped from us!.. i wonder how far this sill really go?.. from the day I heard about it I really wondered..

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

03 Sep 2008, 10:53 am

Chibi_Neko wrote:
I have now officially lost all respect for this family

Quote:
source cbc.ca
The family of Tim McLean is suing Greyhound, the RCMP and the man suspected of committing the gruesome killing of the 22-year-old man aboard a bus in rural Manitoba in July.

At a press conference in Winnipeg Tuesday afternoon, Jay Prober, the lawyer for McLean's father, Tim McLean Sr., said the lawsuit names the suspect in McLean's killing, Vince Weiguang Li, as well as the Greyhound bus company and Canada's attorney general.

The federal ministers of transport and safety are also named in the suit, which claims Greyhound and the government failed to ensure the safety of the travelling public.

The RCMP are also named for allowing the accused killer to remain on the bus for several hours with McLean's body.

Li, 40, has been charged with second-degree murder. He is accused of first stabbing, then mutilating McLean's body on a bus just west of Portage La Prairie, Man., on July 30. Li was arrested hours after the driver pulled the bus over and passengers fled when he tried to leave the bus by jumping out a broken window, RCMP said.

The family is seeking about $150,000 in damages, but Prober said the lawsuit is not about money. It's about accountability and responsibility for what happened to McLean, he said

The death should have been prevented, Prober said, adding that he hoped the legal action would lead to better safety measures on Greyhound buses.

Prober said the family has had difficulty getting answers about why the Mounties waited hours to try to end the incident.

This family is stooping to the low of using the tragic murder of their son for money. The murder could have done this walking down the road on on a bench, how is Greyhound supposed to fortell this wack-job getting on the bus? if this actually goes through, then people are going to sue the owners of schools and colleges if there is a shooting.

Greyhound and the RCMP are not responsible for the death of victim, the murder is.

I must respectfully but completely disagree. It's not at all the money that they're after. It's getting Greyhound to change the way they operate so that it will be a lot less likely to happen to someone else. I've had the misfortune of having to use Greyhound many times and I can tell you that there is absolutely NO SECURITY whatsoever anywhere. They make no effort at all to provide any kind of safety either on the bus or within the bus stations. They have the responsibility to try to provide a safe, secure environment and they don't do that at all. They bear some of the blame for this tragedy. And it's not just money for the death. It's compensation for what he could have earned in the future and what he could have become.

I hope they get plenty in punitive damages as well. Companies often don't do what they should in terms of safety because it "costs too much." And people pay with their lives or with severe and disabling injuries because of it. It's like with Ford Motors. They knew putting the gas tank too close to the back of some of their cars was a bad, dangerous design and they knew the strong possibilities, no, make that near certainty, of deaths and disfigurement/disabilities because of it and they didn't give a s**t. They actually calculated that it would cost more to change the design and manufacture of the cars than it would to pay off the certain victims and/or their families, of such a design. You should see some of those memos. And people suffered horribly and died horribly because of it. And they deserved having to pay every single penny of the punitive damages they were awarded. There are many, many other similar examples, but I'll spare you all the grisly details.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:32 am

Blood money topic

If I was suing on behalf of Tim McLean, I would also want an inquest. Greyhound Insurance should compensate the family, just as Sunrise Propane should. Also, Maple Leaf Foods should compensate the Listeria victims who died because of the tainted meat. This is the cost of doing business, and yes, it is high. 8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

WillThePerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2008, 6:00 pm

What the?
That was such a dumb descision I could throw up.

theendoffailure
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2008, 2:13 pm

um, did you guys not see that the amount was only for $150,000? they aren't asking for some ridiculous amount like most as*holes looking for money would. that's a small amount, especially in such a high profile case because the legal fees are going to cost a good amount, especially if they got a decent lawyer. not only legal fees, but burial fees, if tim mclean contributed to the family's income, and other things should be considered before rendering such a sh***y judgement of them. the amount they are asking isn't something i would consider "blood money". if they were basing it on the cost of what they believed their son was worth, i'm sure it would have been in the millions (although life is pretty much priceless except for scum like the killer), or at least more than $150,000. it's pretty clear they want to make a point and just have changes made whether it's policies that change, or procedures.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:59 pm

ShawnWilliam wrote:
yeah I agree, they have no moral..

It's the same when a couple of parents try to sue Blink 182 for their son committing suicide :roll: it just doesn't hold any water.. in fact it's shameful to think someone would kill themselves over a song, why cant they look at the bigger picture?.. there was a time where you had to live with your loss, not reap benefits from it..

Oh blaming rock musicians for tragic events. I'm a Marilyn Manson fan, I know about this all too well.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:15 pm

If it's not about money, I would like to see what they would do with what they have left over. If they donate the remaining to charities, etc.

$150,000 is a lot of money. In the UK that equates to about £75-£80,000 That is about 5-6 years on statutory minimum wage. If it's not a lot, I challenge those to "pull the amount out from their back pocket" on demand

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:32 pm

I would blame the Canadian Government for letting this lunatic into the country, I am tired that we keep getting other country's garbage. I don't mean to come off as being raciest, if that sounds like it, I just feel people need to be screened out of the immigration process.

theendoffailure
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2008, 6:44 pm

i said $150,000 is not a lot of money when you consider all the other fees and expenses that the money will be paying for. most lawyers charge on average anywhere from $250-500 an HOUR. a lawsuit can go on for months (even years) and involve countless hours of work from a lawyer. since there are multiple defendants named being sued, it's safe to assume their defense will take up many hours, costing even more than if just one company was named. plus if they win a settlement, the lawyer gets a contingency fee. AND they are still losing money if their son was contributing to the family income, even in the smallest amount. it ALL adds up. and i'm pretty sure they would appreciate being able to get the burial fees back.

oh, and some of us can pull out that amount of money easily out of our back pockets. but it does NOT mean that we don't know the value of it.

and the parents aren't blaming the companies. they are upset with the policies and procedures. install a damn metal detector in the frame of all the bus doors so another crazy f**k can't bring a knife or other weapon on board. the cost of that would still not equal a person's life.

just saying.