Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 12:53 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... st-23.html

I wonder how many greats she'd be before she dies.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 1:40 am

Woops I found out this is a tabloid and it's one of those sites.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 1:48 am

I think that would be a bit unusual, even for Romania.

It's not really all that unfeasible that a woman in her 20's could be a grandmother though. Many cultures marry their daughters off before the hit puberty. Masai girls are frequently married off around the age of 12 and are sexually active with both their boyfriends (who tend to be their age) and their husbands (who tend to be in their 30's). They would likely have their first child before the age of 15 unless they took steps to prevent pregnancy.

Remember, the human life expectancy was only thirty something years through much of human history.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 7:56 am

I had a friend who had a "shotgun" wedding at the age of 19.
As did his own daughter at the age if 19.

That made him a grandfather at the age of 40, which really ticked him off because he had been divorced twice sine then and saw himself as "Charlie Sheen".
"Joe Cool" driving around in his Porsche and trying to pick up 25 year old women.

voss749
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2011, 1:37 pm

ITs a tabloid...BUT. English tabloids are actual newspapers. Newspapers that just happen to include shock news, and naked girls on page 3.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:18 pm

A few years ago I read about a man who became a grandad at 28/9, he had his daughter when he was 14 and she had a baby at 14. I'd like to see every generation do that so you cold see how many great grandparents can still be alive, it would be even cooler if the oldest lived into their 100s.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 1:24 am

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:49 am

MONKEY wrote:
A few years ago I read about a man who became a grandad at 28/9, he had his daughter when he was 14 and she had a baby at 14. I'd like to see every generation do that so you cold see how many great grandparents can still be alive, it would be even cooler if the oldest lived into their 100s.

It's a bit too late to volunteer yourself for that experiment, then.

If everyone was to do that you'd quickly get more people than food, so a lot of those kids that were thoughtlessly created would starve to death. Due to lack of resources, the quality of life would decline so sharply that we'd go back to medieval life expectancies, if we're lucky. Women would be continually pregnant, whether they wanted to be or not, and most of those kids would die. Basically, no-one would live to 100 - you would be lucky to make it past infancy, and from then on, lucky to reach your 30s.

I'm 24 and don't want kids now and probably not ever. I can't tell you how glad I am to live in an age where I have choice in the matter.

Yes, and I do realise that modern mainstream Western culture has a tendency to strongly discourage young motherhood, both economically and socially. Women who have children young are exercising their rights in the same way I exercise mine, in the face of that stigma. My decision is to not be a mother at all, though, which is still a taboo even by Western standards.

My bf is always telling me, 'someone has to pay for your pension'. Yeah, other people's kids can do that. :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 11:55 am

puddingmouse wrote:

My bf is always telling me, 'someone has to pay for your pension'. Yeah, other people's kids can do that. :lol:

What if everyone thought the way you did?

ruveyn

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:49 pm

ruveyn wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

What if everyone thought the way you did?

ruveyn

Then the human race would go extinct, so the issue would eventually resolve itself that way. Thankfully, 'be fruitful and multiply' is about the only religious command that is widely followed by believers.

I don't like being guilt tripped into reproducing. Some abstract idea about demographics and the economy isn't enough motivation for me to actually bring a life into the world. It's hardly like my genes are prime specimens, either. I don't have the desire for children that other people have. If I had them, it would be because someone else wanted me to. It wouldn't be fair on the children to have a mother like that.

I made all this clear to my bf before I got with him, so I don't think I'm being especially cruel to him. If he wants sprogs so badly, I'd understand him leaving me for that purpose. I think he's hoping I'll change my mind before I reach the menopause. :lol:

Argh, sorry for the rant, and for taking this thread off-topic.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 4:54 am

She's going to have one big, happy family. :)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 5:29 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
She's going to have one big, happy family. :)

We are family...
My baby and her baby and me....

ruveyn

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 6:38 am

The Sun is complete trash...

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2011, 9:21 pm

dudes, I'm 56 and have 3 great-grand children and another on the way. If I had it to do all over again, I'd just skip the kids and go straight to grandkids, they are much more fun and when they get on your nerves you can send them home with their parents! :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 4:15 am

budgenator wrote:
dudes, I'm 56 and have 3 great-grand children and another on the way. If I had it to do all over again, I'd just skip the kids and go straight to grandkids, they are much more fun and when they get on your nerves you can send them home with their parents! :lol:

Almost without a doubt. BUT must recall it is the kids that clean up the diapers of the grand-kids and handle the scut work. This is what makes being a grand parent relatively trouble free.

ruveyn

earthtoerika
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2011, 11:26 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I'm 24 and don't want kids now and probably not ever. I can't tell you how glad I am to live in an age where I have choice in the matter.

I agree. I'm also immensely thankful that my husband, my parents and my husband's parents are all accepting of my childless lifestyle, and none of them seem to expect me to change my mind.

Someday, if I have a lot more time and money, I might adopt. Personally I believe that nobody should have any more biological children until all the orphans in the world have homes... though I know there's no way to make that happen, and if I were the type who wanted biological kids, I would probably find some way of rationalizing it just like everyone else. It's a powerful instinct, for those who have it, and no quantity of overpopulation, resource shortage and homeless orphans can really overcome it.