Tsunami hits Japan after 8.8 magnitude Earthquake : (

Page 7 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 8:57 pm

Tias wrote:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_li0bpmv7Du1qc4bfro1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1300131669&Signature=PXKFPmRbzho%2BEgj1PLtXzO7kjeY%3D

This is something only Americans could do.....
I know not every American is an idiot like these guys.
But this?
This is just ridicules.

Makes me glad I quit Facebook and don't have to share social networking space with people like this. Though some (or most) of those people are probably being sarcastic/satirical with their comments and don't really mean it. You wouldn't know though because ret*ds like that don't realize that the internet (and Facebook) lacks a sarcasm button!! !!

krill
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2011, 5:59 am

The news is getting so hard to read and think about.

Aspie-B, I hope you and your family are still doing alright.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 10:17 am

I would recommend stocking up on duck tape, bottled water, and food because it looks like it'll be Chernobyl x3. The fallout will certainly reach the West Coast of the U.S and Canada, and continue it's path east. I've read it'll leave anywhere from 750 rads of radiation (equivalent to a CT scan once every minute) to lower but just increased doses of average radiation. I'm also looking into buying Kelp though I might be too late.

[img][800:923]http://oi55.tinypic.com/974dpx.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Raymond_Fawkes on 14 Mar 2011, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krill

14 Mar 2011, 10:58 am

Okay, I live on the U.S.west coast. What would I do with the duct tape? If this is a stupid question with an obvious answer please note that I have NVLD and often have a troubled relationship with "things".

That would be unimaginably horrific for Japan. And for the long-term survival of current life-forms on the planet. I do so hope this is a misreading of the situation.

krill

14 Mar 2011, 11:13 am

Okay, I have this wierd slow processing speed where things that were *completely* opaque suddenly clear up for no apparent reason.

Could duct tape applied to spaces around wondows stop, or slow down, rediation?

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 5:22 pm

In regard to radiation fallout: I've seen enough post apocalyptic films to know that we're all f****d...regardless of where you are on the planet.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 7:17 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
In regard to radiation fallout: I've seen enough post apocalyptic films to know that we're all f****...regardless of where you are on the planet.

If the containments do not break open the radiation release will be about the same as on Three Mile Island. Certainly not Chernobyl, which, by the way, did not end Life As We Know It.

ruveyn

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 7:34 pm

If you live on the West Coast .. and all of a sudden, the news tells you theirs radioactive clouds outside .. I would duck tape the cracks, vents , and anything so that it doesn't reach inside my fortified bunker I made downstairs. I would also look into iodide pills, once you breathe that air you're done.

----
CIA Sends USAID to Japan to Manage Nuclear Disinfo Campaign

Third Reactor Explodes Raises Ante On Full Scale Nuclear Catastrophe Imminent

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:05 pm

I seriously doubt something like that would happen. This is not a Chernobyl situation(bad reactor design and systematic negligence caused that).

At this point it all really comes down to how the containment vessels hold up and if the fuel can be stabilized and cooled. After that, I guess Japan just has to figure out to dispose of the dud reactors. (can't imagine they'd just leave the things there indefinitely)

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:36 pm

krill wrote:
Okay, I have this wierd slow processing speed where things that were *completely* opaque suddenly clear up for no apparent reason.

Could duct tape applied to spaces around wondows stop, or slow down, rediation?

depends if it were alpha, beta or gamma radiation?

alpha probably, beta probly not, gamma no. :cry:

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:30 pm

Chernobyl only became Chernobyl because they used graphite to moderate the reaction, rather than cadmium. Problem: Graphite is flammable, which is why the reactor caught fire. That can't happen in this case - the Fukushima plant might have been 40 years old, and six months shy of being mothballed, but it wasn't as badly designed as Chernobyl.

For that matter, even if the containment cracked (which hasn't happened, and doesn't seem likely to happen), there wouldn't be any "radioactive clouds" reaching the North American coast. You might recall an incident back in the mid-Forties, when we dropped a couple of atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. The radiation release was a couple of orders of magnitude higher than what might happen if the reactor cores were actually laid open to the air, but no "clouds of radiation" reached us then...

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 10:10 pm

Word is coming out now that the recent explosion with reactor 2 may have damaged it's containment vessel and radiation has spiked in the area. Reactor 4 has a fire going on as well now.

Things certainly aren't getting better...

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 10:16 pm

after a third explosion the workers may be forced to leave the plant. then what?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world ... ml?_r=1&hp

edit: i was unclear. third explosion happened. execs say workers must leave the plant.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 1:55 am

Fukushima 1 and 3 has melted down. 1000x the regular levels of Caesium and Radioactive Iodine in the air. It's only released by those types of reactors when a meltdown has begun and fission has been achieved.. It's what happened to Chernobyl. An explosion sending brown/white smoke over 1,000 feet in the air in seconds many times bigger than Chernobyl and it was all on tape. They're picking up 100x the radioactive isotopes 100% associated with the meltdown. It damaged the other reactors. Theirs 6 reactors that are having problems right now. Radiation from Fukushima would take 7 days to reach the US, 11 days to reach Los Angeles. Fukushima reactor 3 was so explosive it formed a mushroom cloud, it's a huge super power explosion inside the reactor .. what do you think is going on ? Conservative estimates are 100 - 400 x the amount of radiation was released in Chernobyl 1986 , then what was released on Hiroshima and Nagasaki during WWII. They don't put off anywhere near the radiation compared to a reactor. 1 has blown up and 3 has. The containment facility blew out. Compare photos of it to Chernobyl. They're covering it up. The media says "Yeah , it was a nitrogen or hydrogen explosion. , yeah there was a explosion 50 , 60 miles going out.. " they're covering it up !. Chernobyl was small compared to these reactors. It released according to the London Guardian and Atomic Energy Agency 400x the Abomb, Chernobyl did. For weeks the Soviet Union covered it up, the same thing is going on here. I just saw the video of Fukushima 3 blowing up and read it blew 3 to 4 thousand feet up in the air. It used plutonium with uranium as fuel according to the Columbus dispatch, it differs from unit 1. It might go on for months. I'd strongly recommend finding Potassium Iodide pills, even just to be safe.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94xt22Xm1ws[/youtube]

Aspie-B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2011, 3:01 am

krill wrote:
The news is getting so hard to read and think about.

Aspie-B, I hope you and your family are still doing alright.

Thank you for your concern. Things are really really screwed up here. We bought a lot of food supplies yesterday. The stores were just ransacked. I went to work today, becuase the trains were running enough for me to make it there, but midday, I packed up my Laptop and just went home. The rumours of radiation and rain started to make me nervous. I dont know what is going to happen from now. The good news is that I can work from home, so whatever happens next, at least I will be with my family.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 4:10 am

The explosions are hydrogen explosions. There have been 3 at the Fukushima Plant so far, radiation has been released as far as 100 km from the plant. It is above "Legal" levels but below Lethal levels. Reactor 1 was due for decommission last month but kept going.

In Chernobyl's case, basically two explosions occured, first with hydrogen and steam buildup, exposing the core, then runaway fission caused a nuclear excursion (some of the core detonated), and combined with burning radioactive graphite dispersed the fallout into the air. It's worth noting the fallout of Chernobyl was 1000 times less than from total nuclear weapons testing in the 50's and 60's.

There is a fire in one reactor, but no known evidence of a nuclear excursion yet, at Fukushima.

However, from studies of the effects of the quake, it is predicted there is a high probability of another quake, in the next 14 days, of moderate or higher magnitude.

I hope they're wrong.