Tsunami hits Japan after 8.8 magnitude Earthquake : (

Page 4 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Bleu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2011, 5:02 pm

I've been following this all day now, the footage looks unreal. Waiting for news on the Fukishima nuclear plant, it doesn't look good :( Such a horrible thing.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:43 pm

CNN is reporting that a man died in California when the tsunami hit there. He was trying to take photos of tsunami when it ended up sweeping him away.

I don't know what to say about that except... :wall:

Take a life jacket and scuba gear next time...or even better: don't be trying to take pictures of a killer tsunami!! !

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:57 pm

Beauty_pact wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
That is what happens when people live near the water.

ruveyn

Japan is a very mountainous country. They don't exactly have a choice, you know. You can't build in most mountainous areas due to the significant risk of landslides, when it rains excessively, which it indeed does quite often in Japan. As such, there are almost no appropriate areas where the Japanese can live. Where do you suggest they live?

There aren't many places in the world that are not prone to some kind of natural disaster, and there is no place in the world that is immune to natural disaster. Living near the water, in general, has more benefits, than risks, since it is such a valuable source of subsistence for people. 3.2 Billion people in the world live in a coastal zone of 200 kilometers. Driving a car is the riskiest thing that most people do, but the subsistence benefit also outweighs the danger.

Living on "Barrier Islands", like we have on the gulf coast, is a choice that even primitive man would not, likely have taken.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2011, 7:17 pm

This is really freaking me out so far. I have been watching the news since 4pm to 9pm SST yesterday. I, being in Singapore, am in possible danger of tsunami and earthquake seeing as Singapore is reasonably close to places like the Philippines where they felt the effects of the tsunami and earthquake in Japan. Worse, Singapore is around the coastal areas of Asia so that's also not cool. The only thing we can do here is pray for Japan and the rest of the world and do whatever can do to help them, if we can help them that is.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 7:27 pm

I think the Japan earthquake and the NZ earthquake has put a lot of us on edge.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:08 pm

It's really sad to see this, and I hope for the best.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 9:08 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I think the Japan earthquake and the NZ earthquake has put a lot of us on edge.

Plus many of us have the devastation in Haiti fresh in our minds as well.

I was surprised by the devastation over there, considering that Japan has some of the most rigorous building codes in the world (this was the real difference between this earthquake and the one in Haiti). I think the reason so many lives were lost was because it is a very densely populated country, and that it is an island nation with little land to build on.

Ironically, the minute I first found about the quake, I was on YouTube watching the ABC coverage of the 1989 World Series game 3, between Oakland and San Francisco. This was the day of the Loma Prieta Earthquake that occurred just before the game was scheduled to begin.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ExMR0c0aM&feature=related[/youtube]

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 11:48 pm

my thoughts and prayers are with all affected.

https://donate.savethechildren.org.au/N ... px?pid=414

Save the Children have started an appeal.

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2011, 11:55 pm

I'm glad to hear that WP members in Japan are safe.
There are reports that aftershocks could last for a month.
If you want to help the people of Japan donate to the Red Cross.

rissadc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2011, 1:18 am

My Prayers are going out to everyone affected by this!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 1:53 am

The Oregon coast got hit too but it was only two foot waves and everyone had evacuated. I am not sure if it was Seaside only or Tillimook but I heard on the news they evacuated and everyone was panicking and scared thinking it be a huge wave. California got hit with eight foot waves and people in San Fransisco evacuated too. We all got lucky.

Aspie-B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2011, 5:07 am

After 125 aftershocks, I feel sea sick. And its not just me. My wife is feeling it too.
The news of the reactor exploding is also freaking me out a bit. I am 151 miles away, but still...

SakeGirl

12 Mar 2011, 8:59 am

My condolences to everyone in Japan, and those who have relatives there :(

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 9:49 am

I sure hope nothing more happens, now... no nuclear meltdowns, mainly, I mean. :/ While there are many things I personally dislike with the country, Japan is still my favourite country, without a doubt... I've kind of waited for this to happen for some time, now... I've hoped it wouldn't, but of course, this happening was just inevitable. :/ I just hope no volcanoes start erupting, there, soon, too, which Japan has quite a few of... -_-

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 10:21 am

Beauty_pact wrote:
I sure hope nothing more happens, now... no nuclear meltdowns, mainly, I mean. :/ While there are many things I personally dislike with the country, Japan is still my favourite country, without a doubt... I've kind of waited for this to happen for some time, now... I've hoped it wouldn't, but of course, this happening was just inevitable. :/ I just hope no volcanoes start erupting, there, soon, too, which Japan has quite a few of... -_-

I listened to the news, and they said that a meltdown is unlikely.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 10:34 am

I am feeling sorry for those people right now! x.x Maybe I shouldn't say what could happen next. The destruction demon might be listening. =.=