Tsunami hits Japan after 8.8 magnitude Earthquake : (

Page 5 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 12:26 pm

i was watching a clip that was supposedly a high res camera following the tsunami's ingress, and i was utterly enraged by the fact that the news channel that i was watching it on had a "ticker tape " strip at the bottom of the screen which said something like "breaking news. tsunami in japan", and the visual footage of the actual tsunami was covered over by the "ticker tape" strip at the bottom of the screen,

i could not believe that the section of the screen where the tsunami was supposed to be displayed was covered over by a label.

how stupid. the helicopter followed the "wave" and filmed it correctly, but the actual wave was obliterated from my view due to it's being behind an opaque strip on the bottom of the screen that said in 3 words "tsunami hits japan".

sleep is always the best option for me.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 1:08 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Beauty_pact wrote:
I sure hope nothing more happens, now... no nuclear meltdowns, mainly, I mean. :/ While there are many things I personally dislike with the country, Japan is still my favourite country, without a doubt... I've kind of waited for this to happen for some time, now... I've hoped it wouldn't, but of course, this happening was just inevitable. :/ I just hope no volcanoes start erupting, there, soon, too, which Japan has quite a few of... -_-

I listened to the news, and they said that a meltdown is unlikely.

I heard an expert on CNN say a meltdown might happen. He said it worries him that sea water is being used as a coolant. It isn't part of any protocol that he's heard of.
Only time will tell.

ttqs84
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2011, 4:05 pm

i hope everyone who's been affected by these events will get through them somehow. and Japan's a beautiful country which i had the privilege to visit it.

stay strong, Nippon!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 4:48 pm

Maybe the Earthquake will awaken Godzilla.

ruveyn

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 5:44 pm

Mainichi wrote:
I'm glad to hear that WP members in Japan are safe.
There are reports that aftershocks could last for a month.
If you want to help the people of Japan donate to the Red Cross.

One month of aftershocks? 8O

You serious? 8O

I second you mentioning if people wanting to help, they
definitely should donate to the Red Cross.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 5:56 pm

One of the reactor cores at the Daiichi power plant may be melting down right now! This is according to a Japanese official and is being reported on CNN

:(

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 6:50 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
One of the reactor cores at the Daiichi power plant may be melting down right now! This is according to a Japanese official and is being reported on CNN

That could release a plume of radioactive material that could reach the U.S. in measurable amounts. Think of it as payback for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

ruveyn

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:25 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

My sister and a bunch of other relatives are in Korea and Japan right now (including one pregnant aunt). If this meltdown is for real than... 8O

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:36 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Beauty_pact wrote:
I sure hope nothing more happens, now... no nuclear meltdowns, mainly, I mean. :/ While there are many things I personally dislike with the country, Japan is still my favourite country, without a doubt... I've kind of waited for this to happen for some time, now... I've hoped it wouldn't, but of course, this happening was just inevitable. :/ I just hope no volcanoes start erupting, there, soon, too, which Japan has quite a few of... -_-

I listened to the news, and they said that a meltdown is unlikely.

The latest I read is that the flooded the entire containment vessel with sea water to prevent a melt-through. No matter what happens now, the 40 year old Fuikushima nuke plant is done. It will never generate electricity again.

ruveyn

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:50 pm

It is done. It cannot be used anymore. Let's just hope they can contain the fallout and radiation exposure can be minimalized.

seaside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2011, 11:25 pm

They now are assuming a meltdown occurred.
I heard from a former coworker who was ok in Tokyo but worried about the radiation for his four month old baby. They are still having strong aftershocks, so to him it is still going on!
I was going back to bed at 4am yesterday and thought I'd just peek at the phone at CNN to make sure I wasn't unaware of any big world news.
Finally slept 20 hours later.
Yes, the footage looks like a bad movie. What a mess.
But marveling at the amazing building engineering! So many people were all right in those city buildings that were fantastically built!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 12:18 am

The Japanese are masters at earth quake proof architecture and construction.

I have a couple of question about the reactors at Fukushima/Dai-ichi. First, since the plant is unusable, how will Japan fill the gap and meet it's energy demand in the near future. I presume they will build another plant. It will take a while, though.

Also, where are all the people who are being evacuated going? I heard the news say 170,000 have been evacuated. Where is there room to put them all with all the other people displaced from the Tsunami and the quakes?

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 12:34 am

ruveyn wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

That could release a plume of radioactive material that could reach the U.S. in measurable amounts. Think of it as payback for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

ruveyn
Really? You actually went there? I am sick and tired of Americans joking about the self-destruction of this nation. It's making me think that all the United States pop culture is is one big, fat, self-destructive whiny teen with no perspective. That was then, this was now. No matter how you feel about WWII, it's completely beside the point. What's important now is Japan and its people.

With that said, I am glad Japan has a very stable government. Also, they are very, very team-oriented, which I'd imagine adds to their stability. I am feeling very strongly for those who have lost and who were lost. I pray that everyone is safe. My thoughts are with you all. I hope my Japanese teachers' families are also ok. ;(

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 1:06 am

It's going to take a lot of bulldozers and dump trucks to clean up all the debris. They will. most likely, bury it in a large landfill, at least that's what happened after the significant natural disaster I experienced. All the debris made a large hill that can still be viewed today, on the east side of the city. Most likely, something similar will happen near Sendai.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2011, 1:37 am

I feel so bad for Japan, especially my spiritual brothers and sisters! :( I was thinking with all this negative news a positive Godzilla joke might help lessen some of the pain:

If you watch Godzilla backwards its about a giant lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt down city, and then moonwalks into the ocean.

:)

The former things have passed away."

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 1:42 am

I've started a Facebook group geared toward otaku who want to show their support:

Otaku Praying for Japan - Facebook

It's an open group, just join. My friend Liz is posting news updates straight from NHK. I'll try to find links to some disaster relief charities, you'll find those there as well.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.