Revealed: US spy operation that manipulates social media

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2011, 7:23 pm

Military's 'sock puppet' software creates fake online identities to spread pro-American propaganda

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... l-networks

Propaganda is to democracy as violence is to a totalitarian regime. America is going down like the Roman empire. It's rotting from the inside.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:13 pm

Well, if the US is going down like Rome, I sure hope we get to participate in the same wide scale debauchery too...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:19 pm

Only if we spit America in two, which is what the Romans did with their empire.
The weaker half would whither and die in time, as the western half of Imperial Rome did. The wealthier eastern half continued on for another thousand years, with outside enemies slowly chipping away at it.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:35 pm

IvyMike wrote:
Military's 'sock puppet' software creates fake online identities to spread pro-American propaganda

Propaganda is to democracy as violence is to a totalitarian regime. America is going down like the Roman empire. It's rotting from the inside.

Rome perished, in part, because its ruling elite was poisoning there brains using lead based sauce for their fish. Is any such thing happening here in the U.S.A.?

ruveyn

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:01 pm

ruveyn wrote:
IvyMike wrote:

Rome perished, in part, because its ruling elite was poisoning there brains using lead based sauce for their fish. Is any such thing happening here in the U.S.A.?

ruveyn

8O - this I did not know... off to google! Thx!

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:08 pm

If there are enough idiots in the country that propaganda is effective than the country is doomed anyway.

If there are not enough idiots in the country for propaganda to be effective, why fear propaganda?

And if idiots can be swayed by their propaganda, they can be swayed by anyone's propaganda. Even yours.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
IvyMike wrote:

ruveyn

I can tell you right now, that theory is nothing more than popular tripe. When the Romans were at their rise to power, and at the apex of their might, they still used the same lead based fish sauce and drinking vessels. And it should be remembered, only the Western Roman Empire fell by the 5th century, while the eastern half, or Byzantium lasted for a thousand years longer. I think it was more than just a matter of lead poisoning, or else, would not the eastern half have fallen, too?
And the answer to my rhetorical question clearly is YES.
To elaborate on what I had posted earlier, when the empire split itself between east and west, the east, or Byzantium, with its long history of commerce and urban living, survived into the long future. The west, on the other hand, while in possession of cities like Rome and Carthage, was largely made up of rural tribal societies without the wealth to continue the greatness of their fathers. Unable to keep up much of a professional army, the western empire relied more and more on barbarian tribes for defense, who were as often their enemies. Said barbarians were either granted land within the empire, or they simply forcibly settled within. In the latter case, the Romans continued the fiction that these lands were still under imperial rule, and that barbarian kings were ruling these lands in the name of the emperor. In time, the Romans deserted outlying areas; such as deserting Britain all together, and leaving the Rhineland, Belgium, and northern Gaul to the Frankish military settlers.
I could go on, but I suspect you have better things to do, as have I.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 10:17 pm

This is nothing new. Propaganda has been going around ever since idiocracy started, thousands of years before the rise of democracy.

Nil_Nil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2011, 7:12 pm

draelynn wrote:
Well, if the US is going down like Rome, I sure hope we get to participate in the same wide scale debauchery too...

Catch up, the 90's were fun.

ruveyn wrote:
IvyMike wrote:

ruveyn

Lead water pipes anyone. One tactic used during those times was to distract the population with sex. Make love not war...

Not surprised by the usage of social networking. It is done by criminals wanting personal identity info to political hacks trying to shape public opinion about legislation. Ah, the internet back in the 90s, so pristine, so innocent. As long as we live in a society that cherishes non-political judiciaries then the truth will always prevail...oh wait a minute.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 7:14 pm

Nil_Nil wrote:
draelynn wrote:

I was in my 20's in the 90's... apparently I missed the memo... 8O

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

Nil_Nil wrote:
draelynn wrote:

Judging from what my Dad and a few werid decade documentaries tell me, the 90s were nothing compared to the 70s.

Nil_Nil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2011, 11:36 pm

Tensu wrote:
Nil_Nil wrote:
draelynn wrote:

Judging from what my Dad and a few werid decade documentaries tell me, the 90s were nothing compared to the 70s.

Yeah, the AIDS scare really did it to the 80s and the 90s but at least women took baths and shaved in the 90s. :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:09 am

Tensu wrote:
Nil_Nil wrote:
draelynn wrote:

(Yawn) I lived through both decades - and eighties, too - and none of them were anything really special.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 8:11 am

Put on you tin-foil hats.