The more messages you send, the more sex you get (and drugs)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 1:09 pm

Quote:
According to a recent study lead by Dr. Scott Frank, an associate professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, kids in Cleveland who text over 120 times a day are more likely than to have had sex or to have used drugs or alcohol than kids who don't send as many messages. We're guessing it's because it takes in excess of 120 text messages for kids to line up their drugs, alcohol, or sex partners. To explain the findings, Frank puts it this way: "If parents are monitoring their kids' texting and social networking, they're probably monitoring other activities as well." The study, based on a survey of 4,200 students, is one of the first to look at the correlation between texting and risky behavior in teenagers.

Source

I call BS on this since I send hundreds of e-mails a day and never take drugs, drinks, and am a virgin, but hey :lol:

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2010, 1:21 pm

But how many texts do you send, Asp-Z?

That seems to be the issue.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 1:23 pm

Vector wrote:
But how many texts do you send, Asp-Z?

That seems to be the issue.

I used to send about a hundred a day, but now I just use e-mails instead since I do all my communication from internet enabled devices.

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2010, 1:25 pm

Hmmmmmmmmm. . . I guess you're the exception that makes the rule?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 2:24 pm

Reminds me of the stupid study claiming Ice cream causes crime... :roll:

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2010, 3:26 am

Typical media, confusing correlation with causation.

I suspect it's more that more social people send more text messages, and they are more likely to be into sex and drugs.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 8:56 am

The key word in this article is "correlation", and the one thing (or at least the most important thing) I took away from my statistics class is that correlation does NOT equal causation. Some things we can take away from correlational studies, however, are questions and hypotheses. Why is there a relationship between kids text messaging and using drugs and alcohol, and having sex?Are those kids addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, and are they practicing safe sex habits? Is the study implying that having sex or drinking alcohol are "bad"? Did the parents let them experiment with drinking alcohol or having sex, not necessarily them being "bad" parents? Could it be that those kids who text a lot may be more "successful" than other kids in the future? How do they perform academically? How many extracurricular activities do they engage in? There are many more questions and hypotheses that could come from this, but for the meantime that's what they remain: Questions and hypotheses. Until someone has done more in depth research on the topic (if they haven't already), speculation is the only thing that remains.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 9:41 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Reminds me of the stupid study claiming Ice cream causes crime... :roll:

An isolated case, but it happened in Glasgow, Scotland in the 1980's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 10:44 pm

Note to self: get credit for phone.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I