Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le2189311/

Another case of trial by media given a sober second thought by a higher tribunal.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 5:08 pm

Yay!

One less resource for media hype.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 5:17 pm

This makes me so so so so happy. Not because I have any connection to Amanda or because I have any knowledge of what really happened but because I cannot think of anything worse than spending decades or one's life in jail and I came to really identify with Amanda over the hours upon hours I spent distracting myself with reports from this case when I was really depressed.

It was suggested in some places that she might have Asperger's because of the awkward things she said and did, for example turning cartwheels in the police station the day after her roommate had been murdered. She says she was just doing it as exercise and did it to let off energy which makes sense to me. I've done weirder things, just not in as high-stakes a situation.

Anyway. I don't know what this means for the other two still in jail over this and I don't like the thought of any of them being in jail but if one of them can be free, since she cannot be found guilty, that is just the happiest thing in the world at the moment to my silly brain.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 5:29 pm

It sounds like the DNA evidence fizzled out, supposedly as well they were trying to question her in Italian without a lawyer present and she was still only semi-lingual in it. No idea what really happened though, if their alibi is correct then great, if not - it goes as a grim reminder to police and homicide detectives that this is what happens you you clusterbomb the collection of evidence; ie. people get away with murder.

I don't know the case well enough, didn't get enough of a watch of her or Sollecito to reckon if they were sociopaths but, at this point it is what it is. We'll likely be seeing enough press coverage, analysis, and interviews in the next 24 hours to make our own opinions.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2011, 6:09 pm

This has been all over the news and radio here in Seattle.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 7:08 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
It sounds like the DNA evidence fizzled out, supposedly as well they were trying to question her in Italian without a lawyer present and she was still only semi-lingual in it. No idea what really happened though, if their alibi is correct then great, if not - it goes as a grim reminder to police and homicide detectives that this is what happens you you clusterbomb the collection of evidence; ie. people get away with murder.

I don't know the case well enough, didn't get enough of a watch of her or Sollecito to reckon if they were sociopaths but, at this point it is what it is. We'll likely be seeing enough press coverage, analysis, and interviews in the next 24 hours to make our own opinions.
The fact the DNA evidence testing the first go round was incredibly sloppy and it seemed like the Prosecution was more interested in convicting an American than finding the culprit of the crime.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 7:09 pm

purchase wrote:
This makes me so so so so happy. Not because I have any connection to Amanda or because I have any knowledge of what really happened but because I cannot think of anything worse than spending decades or one's life in jail and I came to really identify with Amanda over the hours upon hours I spent distracting myself with reports from this case when I was really depressed.

It was suggested in some places that she might have Asperger's because of the awkward things she said and did, for example turning cartwheels in the police station the day after her roommate had been murdered. She says she was just doing it as exercise and did it to let off energy which makes sense to me. I've done weirder things, just not in as high-stakes a situation.

Anyway. I don't know what this means for the other two still in jail over this and I don't like the thought of any of them being in jail but if one of them can be free, since she cannot be found guilty, that is just the happiest thing in the world at the moment to my silly brain.

Good god, everytime someone who murders gets accused of having AS, sometimes I wish they would murder me. :roll:

I've been torn on whether I think Amanda Knox was guilty or innocent but I've leaned more towards guilty. She and her boyfriend were under severe influence of drugs and alcohol the night of the murder so it could go two ways. Either she was too drugged to realize that a murder was going on in her apartment or she was too drugged to realize she was assisting in a sex-game/murder. Also, I don't care how badly the police are treating you, I think it is wrong to accuse another person of murder unless I was absolutely sure they were involved. She must've held a huge grudge against the man to go as far as accusing him of murder without any proof.

I just hope that any college students who plan to study overseas learn from this experience and go easy on the drugs and alcohol. Cuz lord knows you might find yourself messed up and hovered over a corpse with a knife in your hand!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 7:15 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

The fact the DNA evidence testing the first go round was incredibly sloppy and it seemed like the Prosecution was more interested in convicting an American than finding the culprit of the crime.

That's what I've been hearing. Things are strange on the victim's family's side as well - ie. they still firmly believe that they had it right the first time, and then you have.... is it one or two.... different people, one person who she was pressed into naming up front which came back as a defamation charge and then another guy from the Ivory Coast who they have put in jail?

If this is all as said this is really much more a reflection of the Italian legal system and really the victim's family should be irate with them first and foremost. It'll be even more saddening if the guy who they have right now is the wrong person and ends up walking.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 10:44 pm

Well, apparently the guy they put in jail left trace evidence all over that apartment, and (the crime he went to jail for) was later found robbing a nursery school with a stolen knife, and possessing a stolen computer in his apartment.

Given the state of the DNA collection method (saw the video, and it made CSI look professional!), it seems doubtful that anyone will be convicted for Meredith Kurcher's murder at this point. That's bad for her family, but the situation is what it is...

Jeffrey228
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2011, 11:27 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

That sounds like Racial Tensions against the US from Italy, more reasons the EU nations are not being friendly at all with the United States, sounds like purely trouble to me.

maquaii
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2011, 12:58 am

I don't know much about this case, but i wonder why they say she died during sex games. Which gives me the image of BDSM gone wrong, yet she had about 40 stab wounds and her throat sliced open. That's some sex game...

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2011, 6:07 am

Inuyasha wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Oh no you are wrong... US is very popular in Italy. We have a sort of reverential awe for USA. There are three grades of judice and it was the second. Our justice safeguards accused's civil rights, even if it's very slow. In fact, it took years to have a sentence and that's not yet the final sentence. We have to wait for the Supreme Court (Cassazione) sentence.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

claudia wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Oh no you are wrong... US is very popular in Italy. We have a sort of reverential awe for USA. There are three grades of judice and it was the second. Our justice safeguards accused's civil rights, even if it's very slow. In fact, it took years to have a sentence and that's not yet the final sentence. We have to wait for the Supreme Court (Cassazione) sentence.

So you're telling me they might reconvict her, when it has been shown the Police mishandled evidence and the Prosecutor was just looking to convict an American rather than find out who the killer was.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 6:15 pm

Her involvement in the murder may be in doubt, but the court did establish she is completely psycho. It will probably be one very long time before she even gets a one night stand much less a relationship. Even then, and even if she later changes her legal name, I doubt anyone would want to participate in BDSM with her or fall asleep in the same house/apartment as her. Not because of the murder, but she is just way too psycho to take a chance with.

If she really did beat the rap, chances are there will be a string of bodies that turn up someday.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 6:40 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Her involvement in the murder may be in doubt, but the court did establish she is completely psycho. It will probably be one very long time before she even gets a one night stand much less a relationship. Even then, and even if she later changes her legal name, I doubt anyone would want to participate in BDSM with her or fall asleep in the same house/apartment as her. Not because of the murder, but she is just way too psycho to take a chance with.

If she really did beat the rap, chances are there will be a string of bodies that turn up someday.

You never know. The woman is already famous whether she wants that fame or not. And she does have a huge amount of supporters as well as haters. Now Casey Anthony on the other hand...

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 9:55 pm

There was never a question of sex 'games'...Meredith Kercher was being held and raped and her throat was cut as this was being done to her. One of the first estimates I read was that she bled for 2 hours before she was completely dead. The defamation charge was because Amanda Knox accused her boss of either killing her or of being involved in it. His name is Patrick Lumumba, his innocence has been irrefutably proven. Rudy Guede, originally from the Ivory Coast, was a lowlife drug dealer who pestered the local college students for years, his DNA was found in numerous places in Meredith Kercher's room. I had NEVER heard that anyone considered that Amanda Knox might have Asperger's...doing and saying weird things Is consistent with years and a variety of drugs, which is a very well-known fact about her. I cannot picture an Aspie supporting herself for years as a cheerful, talkative, flirtatious bartender And as for cartwheels, one of the best-known aspects of Asperger's is clumsiness. Takes years to work on co-ordination, and many of us overcome it pretty well, but cartwheels? That is not a neurological condition, that is being high as a proverbial kite. I believe Meredith Kercher has been victimized again. Sylkat :cry: