Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 9:24 pm

Does anyone have any idea what that was all about?

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 9:45 pm

wikipedia wrote:
Having recently moved to the U.S. from Ireland, Prince was taunted and bullied for several months by at least two groups of students at South Hadley High School, reportedly because of disputes with other girls over her brief relationships with a senior high school football player and another male student. It was also said that she was bullied because she had an Irish accent. Her aunt allegedly warned school officials in August 2009, prior to Prince's enrollment at the school, to watch after Prince, as she was "susceptible" to bullying and was bullied in Ireland.

On January 14, 2010, after a day of harassment and taunting, followed by a final incident in which a student threw a can at her from a passing car as she walked home from school, Prince committed suicide by hanging herself in the stairwell leading to the second floor of the family apartment. Her body was discovered by her 12-year-old sister. After her death, many crude comments about her were posted on her Facebook memorial page, most of which were removed. Her parents chose to have Prince interred in Ireland.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 11:35 pm

As someone who was bullied in high school - and who discovered that the superintendent in charge of the system where Phoebe was bullied taught at my high school while I was there - I recognised the particular brand of double-speak he was spouting before I read his name, then checked his picture to be sure it was the same guy. (Older, fatter, but obviously the same guy. He taught physics when I was in HS.)

Why do I say this? To explain why I believe that it was in part the culture of the school system, a culture very much like the one that drove me nearly out of my mind, a culture in which statistics, and the career success of the teachers and administrators, was the highest priority. Students who messed up that "program" were chewed up and spit out.

You know what makes me the craziest about this? Sayer wasn't really a bad guy when I was in school. But somewhere along there, he picked up the toxic culture of my school system and passed it along to another. :cry: Either that, or the entire educational system is even more broken than I suspect it is, and that is all that's out there. But I've read obvious, ah, bovine excrement from other school administrators, and most of it didn't have quite that flavour. But all I had to do was read quotes from the superintendent, before I read his name, and they set me off, because they were the nasty old flavour I remembered so well.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 12:11 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what that was all about?

For the same reason anyone who is bullied is bullied, which is, no good reason. It could have just been because she was different and didn't get "it" whatever "it" is. It could have been because she made one social mis-step and it followed her. She could have rejected a vindictive person.

According to wikipedia
Wikipedia wrote:
Having recently moved to the U.S. from Ireland, Prince was taunted and bullied for several months by at least two groups of students at South Hadley High School, reportedly because of disputes with other girls over her brief relationships with a senior high school football player and another male student. It was also said that she was bullied because she had an Irish accent. Her aunt allegedly warned school officials in August 2009, prior to Prince's enrollment at the school, to watch after Prince, as she was "susceptible" to bullying and was bullied in Ireland.[14]

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 7:39 pm

She had been in the country 2 weeks or less, from what I read, knew no one, and a boy asked her out on a date. She went out with him, slept with him, not coerced by any means ( NOT being judgmental, the girl was sexually active, part of the reason she was disliked back in Ireland). She really did not know he had a girlfriend. He bragged,the girlfriend, being 15, wanted to believe it was Phoebe's fault. She and her friends harrassed her to the point she couldn't stand it. His friends laughed at her too. She was 15, and kids (both here and Ireland) saw a 'slut', rather than a vulnerable young girl who would do whatever a boy wanted so that he would 'like' her. Blame? Yes, I blame that boy who found someone to use and then made fun of her loneliness. Sylkat :cry:

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 10:39 pm

I hope those b*****s that bullied her get a taste of their own medicine!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 2:54 pm

Not to necro this but I was looking back for an older thread and came across this anyway.

My take on 'extreme' bullying - it happens when you're a threat to the power structure.

What lead to her being essentially bullied to death:
- Being attractive enough to threaten the social structure; she was likely better looking than the popular girls, a better person, and guys had more reason to like her over them.
- She showed some kind of weakness or vulnerability in her demeanor that let people know that she was side open for assault.
- Causing all of that ruckus she wasn't a fighter, didn't have any inner b&*( to let lose, and consequently assumed the victim role.

She couldn't stop being her, the popular kids couldn't stop feeling threatened by her, and if you're in her situation and don't have it in you to pull someone who's messing with you aside in private and make them cry - it'll keep happening until either a) you leave or b) you *really* leave.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 5:54 am

i have never been to south hadley high but i did live there for 2 years as a kid.i garantee she wasnt bullied for being irish.half the state of masschusetts is irish and south hadley is just north of holyoke which has the second bigest st patricks day parade in the nation.although my father was danish my mothers maiden name was Carol McNamara.what i heard from the local news was that she slept with the girl who bullied her,boyfriend.i would listen to me because for me this was a local event

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 7:50 pm

MsMarginalized wrote:

Unfortunately I heard they got nothing more than a slap on the wrist. For the most part they had to do community services and give lectures on the evils of bullying to schools. Uh...a little backwards isn't it? Shouldn't the people who should be educating students on the evils of bullying be the victims who actually endured it? I mean if the bullies had actually endured severe consequences from what they did to this girl (like actual jail sentences) that would make more sense for them to be lecturing but they didn't really get anything handed to them other than a few indictments. So...yeah.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 9:33 pm

what they got was something massachusetts calls continued without a finding.sort of a no contest plea.they got probation and if they do there probation there records are expunged.however even a misdomeanor arrest will send them to jail and they will have record

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 9:34 pm

what they got was something massachusetts calls continued without a finding.sort of a no contest plea.they got probation and if they do there probation there records are expunged.however even a misdomeanor arrest will send them to jail and they will have record

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:32 am

MsMarginalized wrote:

I highly doubt it. Pin pointing culpability in a suicide case is almost impossible, especially if more than one person contributed to Phoebe's descent into depression.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 7:59 pm

Dear Cyberdad, These 'people' did more than 'contribute to....depression'; the same day or next day that her death was announced on her Facebook page (or MySpace), one of them posted 'Mission Accomplished'

Sylkat