Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 7:26 pm

I'd heard about that. I used to think that Megaupload would never get shut down. But I guess the media bigwigs took yesterday's online censorship strike across different website to be an "act of war", so they decided to follow suit with an "attack" of their own.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Jan 2012, 7:38 pm

See also on PPR: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt187268.html

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

Cornflake wrote:

Thank you for that link; I'm not a fan of PPR. :P

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Jan 2012, 7:41 pm

:lol: Yeah, I know what you mean...
I thought of putting a health warning next to the link!

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm

Let's have 72 minutes of silence in loving memory of Megaupload.

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 5:19 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I'd heard about that. I used to think that Megaupload would never get shut down. But I guess the media bigwigs took yesterday's online censorship strike across different website to be an "act of war", so they decided to follow suit with an "attack" of their own.

Anonymous attack back at hacking the FBI and Department of Justice websites along with some other entertainment sites like Universal Music.

rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2012, 6:11 pm

ya they were all taken down, some by a long time , some by a short time

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 5:40 am

This whole thing is stupid. Megaupload complied with DMCA takedown notices, so why should they be shut down? And, more to the point, why should the people who own the site be liable for the actions of their users?

F**king US government just wanted to flex their mussels, that's all it is. But when will they ever learn that you cannot fight the internet and win? One site gets taken down and 100 more take its place. Anyone can set up one of these things with a bit of distributed cloud storage to make it even harder to track, and in fact I'm sure many people are doing so right now.

P.S. I'll have you know I often used Megaupload for legit downloads of freeware and Android ROMs, and I'm sure a lot of others had legit uses for it too. There was no reason whatsoever for the site to be taken down.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

Here's a newly released song on the matter:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw3DjJJhEjM[/youtube]

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Jan 2012, 5:41 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
And, more to the point, why should the people who own the site be liable for the actions of their users?
Well it's only fair - after all, Xerox, Panasonic, Minolta etc. are being held responsible for photocopying reams of printed material and I've lost count of the number of cases brought against DVD manufacturers ... oh wait, hang on... :?

Quote:
US government just wanted to flex their mussels, that's all it is.
:lol: That created a rather good picture of someone in a suit waving seafood around.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 5:48 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Well it's only fair - after all, Xerox, Panasonic, Minolta etc. are being held responsible for photocopying reams of printed material and I've lost count of the number of cases brought against DVD manufacturers ... oh wait, hang on... :?

And obviously Google was shut down years ago for daring to link to torrent sites, wasn't it?

Quote:
:lol: That created a rather good picture of someone in a suit waving seafood around.

:lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Jan 2012, 5:58 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
And obviously Google was shut down years ago for daring to link to torrent sites, wasn't it?
Quite right too - that nice Mr. Murdoch was correct to highlight them as being one of the biggest culprits because if anyone would know the difference between linking and hosting it's ... oh wait, hang on... again... :?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

22 Jan 2012, 6:13 pm

Great song....I feel similarly.
Amazing that Anoymous managed to shut down justice.gov. I quess Petraus has his hands full with his new job.

Jojo

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 4:38 am

The more I read about Kim Dotcom the more I think the guy is friggin' awesome.

He had a bunch of awesome cars, some 108 inch HDTVs, loads of other awesome rich guy stuff, and he was like an evil genius out of the movies, using Megaupload to do money laundering and paying people to upload pirated stuff :P

I did have to LOL at how the court document the US government wrote up about the case was 72 pages though :P

On a more serious note, let me ask you something here... This guy was able to make all this money (Kim alone made £27 million in 2010, imagine how much revenue the site itself pulled in!) by giving things away for free to the end customer, so WHY CAN'T THE RECORD AND FILM COMPANIES JUST DO THE SAME THING?!

All the details on the takedown are here if you're interested.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 12:26 pm

Comment on this from the Swedish Pirate Party/Piratpartiet:

www.piratpartiet.se/nyheter/swedish-pir ... megaupload

Quote:
The hosting site MegaUpload was raided by police today, on orders by US federal authorities. MegaUpload’s owner, New Zealand based Kim ”Dotcom” Scmitz, and three associates were also arrested. The Swedish Pirate Party strongly condemns this action.

- MegaUpload was well-known to act in accordance with the law, says Anna Troberg, the Pirate Party’s leader, but was still a thorn in the side of American business interests.

- The service was based in New Zealand, Troberg goes on. That makes the issue even more problematic. Someone should explain to both the copyright industry and the New Zealand justice system that United States law does not apply to the rest of the world.

The timing of the raid is politically conspicuous since it comes the day after the largest protest against abuse of power in the history of the Internet, a protest against the net censorship bill SOPA. The Internet is currently in an uproar. Troberg foresees that the political consequences will escalate switfly.

- MegaUpload had 150 million members, says Troberg. That means they also have 150 million voters. This will give the Pirate Party and our international sisterparties a lot of traction.

This raid has many similarities with the raid against The Pirate Bay on May 31, 2006. There, too, it became apparent that American business interests were behind the raid, and there too were there major political ramifications. Among other things, it led to the Swedish Pirate Party gaining 7,1% of the votes in the European Parliamentary elections of 2009.

- This demonstrates with all desirable clarity that the copyright industry is a real threat against democratic societies. They will stop at nothing in their struggle against entering the future.