OPEN - latest copy of SOPA/PIPA -- gaining support

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

Aside from things like this: www.examiner.com/civil-rights-in-wilmin ... good-right

This: www.eff.org/pages/trans-pacific-partnership-agreement

And this: www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/01/2 ... -meet-acta (petition against this here)

Now SOPA has recieved a copy, while being tabled. Not only that; PIPA also will be amended, with changes that, to a big degree, surely will prove just to contain more clever wording. The new threat, among many others, is OPEN. They basically are trying to tire everyone out, and make us compromise. Which seems to work with Google, Facebook, Twitter and many other corporations, as they are supporting it. This despite minimal changes, at "best".

Excerpts from InfoWars's article (link below):

Quote:
SOPA is set to be reformulated in February. PIPA will be revisited with possible amendments in the coming weeks. Case in point, all is still open and possible — nothing is dead, pulled, or cancelled.

Quote:
From PCWorld:

OPEN would give oversight to the International Trade Commission (ITC) instead of the Justice Department, focuses on foreign-based websites, includes an appeals process, and would apply only to websites that “willfully” promote copyright violation.

The bill pretends to only target foreign websites, while keeping Americans free to surf and post, but the bill’s wording is wide open to pursue American sites. Just one example: when describing an infringing site, it starts with those “that are accessed through a non-domestic domain name,” but continues in section (8)(A)(ii) for any site that “conducts business directed to residents of the United States.”

It sounds like, “in general,” copyright holders will be the ones filing complaints to the Commission, but the writing leaves it open for any complainant to file. The ITC would still have the ability to coerce payment processors and ad networks to cease funding and linking the accused in question. Who could determine “willful” infringement?

Quote:
One commenter of the bill aptly noted:

‘Reasonable belief’ and ‘credible evidence’ are too vague and have the appearance of inviting highly subjective interpretation with the option for the commission and/or the provider to exercise sweeping powers with impunity.

Link: www.infowars.com/sopa-and-pipa-fully-al ... joins-them

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

I've signed the petition.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 9:38 am

no matter what they try it will always end like it did last time,
they simply dont have the will to see their money being wasted by the millions every day.
thank the FSM for anon

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 2:22 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've signed the petition.

Tho$€ ₱€tition$ ar€ u$ua££¥ ₩orth£€$$.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 5:53 pm

OH CHIT SON. I wonder where you can sign the petition to help stop OPEN?