Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:37 pm

http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wiscons ... 00220.html

In Wisconsin -- yes, the same state where lawmakers have introduced a bill penalizing single mothers for being unmarried -- a Republican state representative has come out against divorce for any reason -- even domestic abuse.

Instead of leaving an abusive situation, women should try to remember the things they love about their husbands, Representative Don Pridemore said. "If they can re-find those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help," he told a local news station.

Pridemore -- who, coincidentally, is a co-sponsor of Republican state Senator Glenn Grothman's "being single causes child abuse" bill as well as a controversial voter ID bill that was ruled unconstitutional earlier this week -- also said that while he thinks women are capable of caring for a family "in certain situations," fathers are the only ones who provide structure and discipline. If they don't grow up with married biological parents, Pridemore says, "kids tend to go astray."

Grothman, for his part, continues to defend his controversial bill. Now, though, not only is single parenthood a factor in child abuse, women in particular are to blame for it.

"There's been a huge change over the last 30 years, and a lot of that change has been the choice of the women," Grothman said.

ccallahan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2012, 11:42 pm

So if I am reading this right, a woman is supposed to take constant abuse, and then try to love the person who abused them again? That's just plain stupid. No, it's beyond stupid. It's just plain wrong.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:45 pm

You read it right. On top of that, it's solely her fault if her child/ren gets abused and/or doesn't grow up 'properly'.

ccallahan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2012, 11:49 pm

This is why I am ashamed of our government. All they do is what they think is right. Not what the people think is right.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 4:05 am

That is f****d up, it's like he is blaming the victim. "Oh who cares if your husband is beating you and verbally abusing you and raping you, you married him so you must be a martyr now for you child's sake."

Also anyone can do child abuse, married couple, married woman or married man, and of course single people. But single parents do not cause child abuse because that is like saying being married causes child abuse.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

Is he trying to point out women who defend and cover for the husbands and 'live-ins' who abuse their (the woman's) kids? Is that perhaps what he is talking about? If so, those SPECIFIC women ARE responsible. I have known a couple of grown women whose mothers would not listen. The abuse...let's just say it; rapes...went on for years!
Oh, these were husbands, by the way, just not their biological fathers....

Sylkat

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm

Quote:
"If they can re-find those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help,"

And if those reasons were bad ones to begin with? What then?

Does he not freaking realize that bad reasons for getting married in the first place is probably the single reason MOST responsible for divorce?

I think I actually get his mentality. I bet he believes that if divorce were outlawed, people in general would think far harder about getting married in the first place.

I've heard of putting the cart before the horse, but in this case, he's putting the horse behind the cart. It's too late for that now. You can't prevent what has already happened.

Besides, this is pretty damned hypocritical for a republican. Aren't they supposed to be the ones advocating getting the damned government OUT of our private lives? :evil:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:09 pm

I think it's important to distinguish between a single knuckle dragger in the legislature, and the government writ large.

On legislator making a proposal is not the same thing as the government taking action. It is only when the legislature, as a body, acts that government can be properly said to have become engaged.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 3:30 pm

I wonder who they are trying to appease with this. Is something in the water in Wisconsin?

I do agree with visagrunt in that this proposal might be thrown out the window by the main legislative body once its absurdity is realized.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 3:44 pm

i was raised by a single dad? what then?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

22 Mar 2012, 12:33 am

My father was very abusive to us and my mother....she did the right thing by leaving him. She has phenomoally bad taste in men, the only time that I was not abused in the course of her 2 marriages was when she was single. She is a very devoted loving mother with terrible taste in men.

As far as this WI lawmaker goes....he makes me sick that he would target the victims of domestic abuse like that. Serial domestic abusers seek out their prey like deep sea creature with bio-luminescent bait before a hellish set of teeth. All these women see is how charming he is till he has ran off all friend's and family and took away her self esteem, and then the abuse begins. It is methodological destruction of the other person.
While most abusers are male, some are women...female abusers are more inclined to verbal and psychological abuse...but both work the same way in that they strip their prey of all social connections, self esteem, then destroy their partner.

What this lawmaker misses, (or doesnt because he is one of them) is that the abusive relationship was never based on love...it was in most cases, a preditor/prey relationship.

This war on women thing...is starting to get scary folks.

For you guys out there...men should be pro-women too cause you have wives, sisters, mothers, daughters, aunts, female friends etc etc.
You have to think about them when the US is waging a war on women. Every woman was once someone's little girl.

Jojo

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:58 am

How about just be anti-abuse?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

22 Mar 2012, 1:07 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
How about just be anti-abuse?

that too!

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 5:46 am

Having children is the biggest cause of child abuse.

Having relationships is the biggest cause of domestic abuse.

Obviously they should stop taking risks and all live in seclusion for the rest of their lives.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:40 pm

Too late...

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wisconsin-lawmaker-says-women-stay-abusive-marriages-232700220.html

In Wisconsin -- yes, the same state where lawmakers have introduced a bill penalizing single mothers for being unmarried -- a Republican state representative has come out against divorce for any reason -- even domestic abuse.

Instead of leaving an abusive situation, women should try to remember the things they love about their husbands, Representative Don Pridemore said. "If they can re-find those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help," he told a local news station.

Pridemore -- who, coincidentally, is a co-sponsor of Republican state Senator Glenn Grothman's "being single causes child abuse" bill as well as a controversial voter ID bill that was ruled unconstitutional earlier this week -- also said that while he thinks women are capable of caring for a family "in certain situations," fathers are the only ones who provide structure and discipline. If they don't grow up with married biological parents, Pridemore says, "kids tend to go astray."

Grothman, for his part, continues to defend his controversial bill. Now, though, not only is single parenthood a factor in child abuse, women in particular are to blame for it.

"There's been a huge change over the last 30 years, and a lot of that change has been the choice of the women," Grothman said.

i am afraid that this is not what i think... a joke.

it must be very mentally ill people who come up with this kind of nonsense. they should be put away. they are very dangerous.