Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 1:10 am

Heather Locklear 50 (I watch everything shes in just to see her......underrated as actress too)
Mark Hamill 60

She owes a lot to Spelling as he was the one who kick started her career.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 6:08 am

i only have enough mental space to pay attention to my own b-day.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 8:04 pm

I couldn't believe that Luke Skywalker was 60 when I first read it.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 11:38 pm

I bet Hamill is still bitter to this day as his career never took off like Fords......its not enough with talent in show biz , you need luck/timing etc.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 1:33 am

collectoritis wrote:
I bet Hamill is still bitter to this day as his career never took off like Fords......its not enough with talent in show biz , you need luck/timing etc.

Hey, Hamil gets to voice the Joker!
But all kidding aside, the only two actors whose careers took off with Star Wars are Ford's and James Earl Jones'. From what I've heard, David Prowse is resentful toward George Lucas for using Jones as the voice of Darth Vader, Rather than using his own somewhat high, Welsh accented voice.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 2:08 am

^^^
why is it that low voices are perceived as being more authoritative than high voices? just curious.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 2:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
why is it that low voices are perceived as being more authoritative than high voices? just curious.

I don't know if Lucas was going for an authoritative sound, but he definitely wanted something that sounded much more menacing. And as some of Lucas' staff had said in a documentary on Star Wars, a Scottish (Welsh, actually) accent wasn't going to cut it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 2:14 am

WW2 general george patton had a very high voice [for a man], almost truman capote-esque but with a growl, that was said to be menacing to his underlings. he definitely did NOT sound anything like george c. scott. if anything, his voice was almost a dead ringer for the actor rod steiger, who actually was first in line to take the role but he declined.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 2:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
WW2 general george patton had a very high voice [for a man], almost truman capote-esque but with a growl, that was said to be menacing to his underlings. he definitely did NOT sound anything like george c. scott. if anything, his voice was almost a dead ringer for the actor rod steiger, who actually was first in line to take the role but he declined.

I understand Steiger kicked himself after Scott had won the Oscar for best actor.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 2:41 am

i wonder what steiger thought about scott declining his oscar? something like "WTF??! !" anyways, steiger had just completed filming "the sergeant" when he was offered the role of patton, and he said he didn't wanna do another goddamned military picture. i cannot imagine scott playing steiger's role in "the sergeant" at all. but i could indeed see steiger as an awesome patton.
anyways, to bring the topic back upon the rails, today would've been ed sullivan's 110th bday. :)

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 9:24 pm

Jess Biel is 30.....

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

04 Mar 2012, 10:24 pm

Today is the birthday of Garrett Morgan, the African American inventor of the 3 position traffic light.
Thanks to Mr. Morgan, we have time to speed through the yellow light only to be stuck at the red light 3 blocks ahead...jk

Thank you Mr. Morgan for keeping us safe. :D

Jojo

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 6:04 am

jojobean wrote:
Today is the birthday of Garrett Morgan, the African American inventor of the 3 position traffic light.
Thanks to Mr. Morgan, we have time to speed through the yellow light only to be stuck at the red light 3 blocks ahead...

or, as karnak the magnificent woulda put it, in his quasi-"Jeopardy!"-like answer-first format-
A- a "floorit."
Q- what is the interval between a yellow and a red traffic light?

outofphase
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2012, 9:06 am

David Prowse may not appreciate being called Welsh. He is from Bristol

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

05 Mar 2012, 8:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Thanks to Mr. Morgan, we have time to speed through the yellow light only to be stuck at the red light 3 blocks ahead...

or, as karnak the magnificent woulda put it, in his quasi-"Jeopardy!"-like answer-first format-
A- a "floorit."
Q- what is the interval between a yellow and a red traffic light?

LOL! True!

here's another one

Green means go
Yellow means go faster
Red means go when no one is looking

Jojo